Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ding, Dong…the Witch is Dead

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I disagree given current trends and trajectory. Over the next 10 years I’d see NP success rate over current MIC teams as follows:

NC 90%
Pike 80%
LC 60-70%
LN 60-70%
Warren 50%
BD 30-40%

I don't see it happening. Those kids playing on both sides of the ball will be so battered and bruised come playoff time, they'd be a non factor every year. 

Their current model isn't broke, why fix it?

Edited by BTF

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't see it happening. Those kids playing on both sides of the ball will be so battered and bruised come playoff time, they'd be a non factor every year. 

How many kids from New Pal play both ways? How many do it out of necessity? New Pal playing a MIC schedule and then turning around and playing in the 4A tournament isn’t the gauntlet you think.

18 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How many kids from New Pal play both ways? How many do it out of necessity? New Pal playing a MIC schedule and then turning around and playing in the 4A tournament isn’t the gauntlet you think.

From reading posts on here, I'm guessing between 6-8. Better question for a New Pal follower. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

The question ends up being a major part of risk/reward.  If New Pal is already on the ascendancy and has a process in place for maintaining a top competitiveness in 4A, then the risk might be higher than being worth it.  They already play Westfield and Decatur Central for their non-conference games, which can hardly be considered "soft week" scheduling.  Not sure that they need to add an additional six 6A schools on top of that.  The regional with Roncalli or Brebeuf will give a better idea, but like you, I'm inclined to say tweak their current model rather than completely overhaul it.

The gauntlet for a team like New Pal playing a MIC schedule is depth. North Central and Pike are bad but Pike is still very physical. The 4 other schools in the conference can beat anyone on a given night, and all take a toll on the depth chart each week.

They would either be totally prepared for a 4A tournament run or decimated due to their lack of depth.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, foxbat said:

The question ends up being a major part of risk/reward.  If New Pal is already on the ascendancy and has a process in place for maintaining a top competitiveness in 4A, then the risk might be higher than being worth it.  They already play Westfield and Decatur Central for their non-conference games, which can hardly be considered "soft week" scheduling.  Not sure that they need to add an additional six 6A schools on top of that.  The regional with Roncalli or Brebeuf will give a better idea, but like you, I'm inclined to say tweak their current model rather than completely overhaul it.

I wouldn't even say tweak it. Whatever they're doing, it's working. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HomeCookin said:

The gauntlet for a team like New Pal playing a MIC schedule is depth. North Central and Pike are bad but Pike is still very physical. The 4 other schools in the conference can beat anyone on a given night, and all take a toll on the depth chart each week.

They would either be totally prepared for a 4A tournament run or decimated due to their lack of depth.

I don’t think the MIC is near the gauntlet it used to be. It’d be one thing if CG and Carmel were still around but they aren’t. And no I don’t think New Pal would run roughshod like they do in their current conference but they could more than hold their own. Believe Pike, NC, LN, and LC all have a few guys who go both ways.

15 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t think the MIC is near the gauntlet it used to be. It’d be one thing if CG and Carmel were still around but they aren’t. And no I don’t think New Pal would run roughshod like they do in their current conference but they could more than hold their own. Believe Pike, NC, LN, and LC all have a few guys who go both ways.

Ive watched all of those teams and didn’t notice anyone playing both ways. Not that I was keeping track.

I agree that New Pal would be competitive, but if I’m their AD I’m not moving into a conference with all 6A schools. IMO Football is the one sport where enrollment really matters. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, temptation said:

Upon joining these boards about a half decade ago, I claimed the MIC was on borrowed time and that the HCC would be the superior conference in the future.

Many users were in denial, some were on board and questioned when.

Well, I am here to declare that on this 29th day of October in the year 2022, it is official.  

The torch has been passed.

Even while still allowing the MIC to claim Carmel and Center Grove (and once again let’s not kid ourselves and go down that rabbit hole), the HCC put the icing and the cherry on top with last night’s sectional performances.

For the season, the HCC was 10-3 against the MIC with Avon suffering two and Franklin Central suffering one of the losses.

But can they do it in the playoffs?

Yes.

Brownsburg 48-20 on the road over MIC “champion” Ben Davis.

Westfield 28-9 on the road over Carmel.

Center Grove went into a mid pack HCC squad in Franklin Central and barely escaped 14-10.

Avon went on the road and defeated Pike.

The HCC has 6 teams left, the MIC 3.

Still more chances too as three MIC teams are left on Brownsburg’s side of the bracket and an HCC team could come out of the north.

Mic drop…pun intended.

Definitely hear what you’re saying long term, though I’d say Ben Davis is probably the 2023 basketball favorite (obviously different sport) and dare I say that BD will probably open as the favorite in football in 2023?

Carmel and CG no longer being in the conference makes it much more challenging as annual title contenders were cut in half.  

I’m guilty myself (pot calling the kettle black), but it’s sad Indianapolis has, for lack of a better term, been abandoned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not defending champ Cathedral who has the #1 rated recruit in the country?

No one knows until all of the transfer portal nonsense is official.

Cathedral, though they have the number one recruit in the country lost their most valuable player last year in Comer.

He will be hard to replace.

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Cathedral, though they have the number one recruit in the country lost their most valuable player last year in Comer.

Agreed but still believe Cathedral is the heavy favorite unless Tibbs doesn’t play.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Agreed but still believe Cathedral is the heavy favorite unless Tibbs doesn’t play.

Not heavy by any means.  BD has 3-4 next level guys and is coming off an undefeated JV season.

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, temptation said:

BD didn’t lose anyone from last years team.

That team, btw, beat Cathedral once last year.  Cathedral obviously won the other meeting.

4 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

BD didn’t lose anyone from last years team.

That team, btw, beat Cathedral once last year.  Cathedral obviously won the other meeting.

Xavier Booker has exploded since that first meeting and will be the difference maker in my opinion. Irish return 3-4 other D1 kids as well.

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Xavier Booker has exploded since that first meeting and will be the difference maker in my opinion. Irish return 3-4 other D1 kids as well.

Understand.  Obviously summer ball is so much different, but BD handled their business over the summer and, in my opinion, convinced me they’re the favorite.

1 minute ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Understand.  Obviously summer ball is so much different, but BD handled their business over the summer and, in my opinion, convinced me they’re the favorite.

Two very good teams, agree with that. Kokomo could make some noise with Bidunga as well.

Do you know if Cathedral and BD are scheduled to play again in the regular season?

Edited by Footballking16

Two very good teams, agree with that. Kokomo could make some noise with Bidunga as well.

Do you know if Cathedral and BD are scheduled to play again in the regular season?

Cathedral and BD are the nightcap game at the Forum Tip-off Classsic at Southport on December 10.

• Like 1

Ok, I gotta chime in here.

#1 NP is never gonna join the MIC.  I agree with the OP, it is a dying conference.  Carmel and Center Grove leaving accelerated it.

#2 NP enrollment just topped 1200 for the first time this year, which puts them nowhere close.

#3 NP has 2 guys that play both ways full time. There are maybe 5 more that do so situationally.  Probably the deepest NP team in that regard.

#4 The most likely candidates are Tech and Cathedral (very unlikely, more likely to end up where Carmel and CG go), IMO.

Edited by CaptainHook

The MIC seems to have become the old CSAC - a Marion County township league. At this point, Cathedral would be the best fit. Tech would get destroyed in football, but be somewhat competitive in basketball. Eugene White *really* wanted Tech in the MIC a decade and change ago and they're leaving the NCC (a conference they fit very well in everywhere except geography), so they'll need a landing spot. 

6 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The MIC seems to have become the old CSAC - a Marion County township league. At this point, Cathedral would be the best fit. Tech would get destroyed in football, but be somewhat competitive in basketball. Eugene White *really* wanted Tech in the MIC a decade and change ago and they're leaving the NCC (a conference they fit very well in everywhere except geography), so they'll need a landing spot. 

I received word from an NCC source whom I trust dearly that Tech was a disaster in the NCC.  They didn't even field full squads in over half of the sports so there were very few JV/freshmen contests.

Tech joining the MIC would not only not elevate the conference, it would do the opposite.

42 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

Well, the MIC is on the verge this week. Only one team remains out of six (Warren Central). The odds are not looking good for a once powerful conference. Can Warren Central keep the 9-0 streak alive? Or will it finally come to an end? Stay tuned folks

I give Warren more than a puncher's chance if they play a relatively clean game.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:05 PM, CaptainHook said:

Ok, I gotta chime in here.

#1 NP is never gonna join the MIC.  I agree with the OP, it is a dying conference.  Carmel and Center Grove leaving accelerated it.

#2 NP enrollment just topped 1200 for the first time this year, which puts them nowhere close.

#3 NP has 2 guys that play both ways full time. There are maybe 5 more that do so situationally.  Probably the deepest NP team in that regard.

#4 The most likely candidates are Tech and Cathedral (very unlikely, more likely to end up where Carmel and CG go), IMO.

After watching NP vs Hobart Friday night, they are the real deal. Defense is stellar, hard nosed and active. I know this a bit off topic; however, this is not the first time this has happened. They, NP,  came out of the tunnel with blood in their eyes. Hobart, being a young team, Sophomore heavy has to move the marker to make it out of the Sectional next year.  By the time Hobart caught up the running clock was instituted. Being down 49-12 at the half was a huge hurdle to overcome in the second half.  Give Hobart credit to finish 49-28.

1 minute ago, Goose Liver said:

After watching NP vs Hobart Friday night, they are the real deal. Defense is stellar, hard nosed and active. I know this a bit off topic; however, this is not the first time this has happened. They, NP,  came out of the tunnel with blood in their eyes. Hobart, being a young team, Sophomore heavy has to move the marker to make it out of the Sectional next year.  By the time Hobart caught up the running clock was instituted. Being down 49-12 at the half was a huge hurdle to overcome in the second half.  Give Hobart credit to finish 49-28.

NP in this scenario is New Palestine. New Prairie wouldn't be a candidate to join the MIC. 

• Haha 2