Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

First CFP Rankings

temptation

They debut this Tuesday.  Fairly clear cut but at this point if I had to guess.

1.  Georgia

2.  Tennessee

3.  Ohio State

4.  Michigan

5.  Clemson

6.  TCU

7.  Alabama

8.  USC

9.  Oregon

10.  UCLA

I know this might not be a very popular opinion but I see no path for Oregon to get into the top four.  If so, something seriously needs to be reevaluated.

Teams obviously improve but you can’t convince me that one of the four best teams in the country is 46 points worse than another team.

Kansas Stare rolling Oklahoma State yesterday improves TCU’s profile which is why I gave them the edge over Alabama.

What a great weekend of football next week!!!

Clemson/ND

Tennessee/Georgia

Alabama/LSU

3 hours ago, temptation said:

They debut this Tuesday.  Fairly clear cut but at this point if I had to guess.

1.  Georgia

2.  Tennessee

3.  Ohio State

4.  Michigan

5.  Clemson

6.  TCU

7.  Alabama

8.  USC

9.  Oregon

10.  UCLA

I know this might not be a very popular opinion but I see no path for Oregon to get into the top four.  If so, something seriously needs to be reevaluated.

Teams obviously improve but you can’t convince me that one of the four best teams in the country is 46 points worse than another team.

Kansas Stare rolling Oklahoma State yesterday improves TCU’s profile which is why I gave them the edge over Alabama.

What a great weekend of football next week!!!

Clemson/ND

Tennessee/Georgia

Alabama/LSU

I think Georgia is better than UT and expect them to beat the Vols next week but I think UT deserves to be #1 out of the gate purely based on resume to date.

On 10/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Footballking16 said:

I think Georgia is better than UT and expect them to beat the Vols next week but I think UT deserves to be #1 out of the gate purely based on resume to date.

Agreed. Does 1 loss UT, without playing in the SEC Title game, get in over TCU? Personally, I would put them there. I guess though they're screwed if Bama beats Georgia in Atlanta. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly pulls out a W on Saturday night in Baton Rouge. I'll be surprised if TCU can survive back to back weeks on the road in Austin and Waco without a Loss. I agree with Temp. I hate putting too much stock into a Week 1 performance because teams can change drastically throughout the season; however, it's too hard to overlook that loss to Georgia. It wasn't even competitve. It was the equivalent to Georgia inviting Georgia Southern or Coastal Carolina to a nice paycheck and ass whooping in Atlanta. 

11 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. Does 1 loss UT, without playing in the SEC Title game, get in over TCU? Personally, I would put them there. I guess though they're screwed if Bama beats Georgia in Atlanta. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly pulls out a W on Saturday night in Baton Rouge. I'll be surprised if TCU can survive back to back weeks on the road in Austin and Waco without a Loss. I agree with Temp. I hate putting too much stock into a Week 1 performance because teams can change drastically throughout the season; however, it's too hard to overlook that loss to Georgia. It wasn't even competitve. It was the equivalent to Georgia inviting Georgia Southern or Coastal Carolina to a nice paycheck and ass whooping in Atlanta. 

They will look for any way possible to put Bama in, for this I am convinced.

I may need to shower in bleach Sunday morning because I am rooting for Notre Dame AND Brian Kelly simultaneously Saturday night.

• Haha 2

I realized getting worked up about the first rankings is a ridiculous thing to do but there are some obvious ones after last night.

Is it the eye test or is it SOS/whom you have beaten?  Seems inconsistent.

I think that TCU and Michigan have legitimate gripes but if they continue to win, it'll all work itself out.

5 SEC teams in the top 11?  Come on.

Tennessee deserves to be #1 but what I will find fascinating is if they lose to UGA Saturday, where do they drop to?  I know it depends on the margin of victory but I can't see them dropping any farther than 5-6.  That means, they win out and sneak back in despite not playing in the SEC title game?  Come on.

I said above that a one loss UM/OSU as long as the game is one possession on Thanksgiving weekend is deserving, especially considering the imbalance of the Big Ten divisions.  I feel like that scenario was basically eliminated last night.  Tennessee will be rewarded more so than the UM/OSU loser in a close loss to UGA because of WHEN the game was played...a loss Saturday gives the Vols plenty of time to right the ship.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Tennessee deserves to be #1 but what I will find fascinating is if they lose to UGA Saturday, where do they drop to?  I know it depends on the margin of victory but I can't see them dropping any farther than 5-6.  That means, they win out and sneak back in despite not playing in the SEC title game?  Come on.

This hurts loser of OSU/UM the most in my opinion, depending on how far UT drops in the event they lose Saturday. I do think if Clemson and/or TCU end up running the table they will jump UT in the final poll regardless of where they are ranked heading into the game. Alabama is strategically placed at 6 to where they have an in assuming they win out and beat UT/GA in the SEC championship.

26 minutes ago, Irishman said:

If UT takes care of business though, I think it opens the door for the loser of the UM/osu game. And, if the Irish beat Clemson, even more so. This could be a time when SOS could finally keep UGA out of the picture; because it is a weak schedule.

Yeah I think Georgia is done if they lose tomorrow. Currently at #3, they would drop 2-3 spots and simply wouldn't have many other outs going forward unless several teams in front of them lose. Win on Saturday and I think UT is in regardless of what they do in the SEC championship so long as they don't lose to Mizzou, SC, or Vandy to end the year. 

Still have this feeling Alabama is going to run the table from here on out and play their way in.

Edited by Footballking16

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Yeah I think Georgia is done if they lose tomorrow. Currently at #3, they would drop 2-3 spots and simply wouldn't have many other outs going forward unless several teams in front of them lose. Win on Saturday and I think UT is in regardless of what they do in the SEC championship so long as they don't lose to Mizzou, SC, or Vandy to end the year. 

Still have this feeling Alabama is going to run the table from here on out and play their way in.

I think a close loss and running the table still gets Tennessee, which is wrong.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

If, and it’s a big if, does LSU get in if they win out? I know, 2 losses, but they’ll have wins over Georgia, Bama, and Ole Miss and will have the SEC champ tag and I just refuse to believe the committee will leave out the SEC champion.

They’re in. The committee can easily sell their schedule was much tougher than the loser of UM/OSU. Honestly, I think the SEC Champ has to be an auto bid. 

I couldn’t help but feel good for Kelly tonight. He’s won over a lot Bayou Bengals tonight with that one. Nobody will forget he he didn’t back down to Bama and went for the W. That was a huge W. Won support of the fan base and showed recruits he can beat Saban. His comments after the game were classy and professional. Would love to know what he said when he was ripping into someone when he called TO before the 2 pt conversion. 

How much does this W hurt UT? It diminishes their Bama win and they were thoroughly dominated today. Are the Mich/OSU loser? I’m assuming 1 loss(which will happen) TCU is definitely out. 

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I couldn’t help but feel good for Kelly tonight. He’s won over a lot Bayou Bengals tonight with that one. Nobody will forget he he didn’t back down to Bama and went for the W.

There is no doubt the guy can coach. Personality-wise, meh… But people like Dabo and Nick Saban have taught us that personality issues fade away when you are winning at the highest level. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

There is no doubt the guy can coach. Personality-wise, meh… But people like Dabo and Nick Saban have taught us that personality issues fade away when you are winning at the highest level. 

I learned that in the '90's with Bobby. Too young to remember his antics in the '80's outside of what's been recorded. Granted this was in the '90's, but this guy turns into an absolutely psychopath at the 30 second mark. 

11 hours ago, Boilernation said:

They’re in. The committee can easily sell their schedule was much tougher than the loser of UM/OSU. Honestly, I think the SEC Champ has to be an auto bid. 

I couldn’t help but feel good for Kelly tonight. He’s won over a lot Bayou Bengals tonight with that one. Nobody will forget he he didn’t back down to Bama and went for the W. That was a huge W. Won support of the fan base and showed recruits he can beat Saban. His comments after the game were classy and professional. Would love to know what he said when he was ripping into someone when he called TO before the 2 pt conversion. 

How much does this W hurt UT? It diminishes their Bama win and they were thoroughly dominated today. Are the Mich/OSU loser guaranteed in now over UT?  I’m assuming 1 loss(which will happen) TCU is definitely out. 

18 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I learned that in the '90's with Bobby. Too young to remember his antics in the '80's outside of what's been recorded. Granted this was in the '90's, but this guy turns into an absolutely psychopath at the 30 second mark. 

I’ll see your Bobby Knight and raise you the acknowledged master psycho. At least Knight only abused his own players. 

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’ll see your Bobby Knight and raise you the acknowledged master psycho. At least Knight only abused his own players. 

Haha. I cringe everytime I see that clip. That was essentially the end of his career, correct? I know nothing about Woody. Did he have a coaching history of mental instability as well? 

47 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I'm not sure USC should be out of the conversation. They still have potential 1 loss oppoenents UCLA and Oregon on the schedule as well as Notre Dame. I could see them gaining favor from the committe if they were to dominately win those games. 

USC is going to have to score 50 points in each of those games to have a prayer. USC defense is absolutely atrocious.

44 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Haha. I cringe everytime I see that clip. That was essentially the end of his career, correct? I know nothing about Woody. Did he have a coaching history of mental instability as well? 

He was the poster boy for it. Here’s a tantrum he threw over a famous no call in the Michigan game in 1977. This is the play that got Jerry Markbreit into the NFL. As an aside, the intended receiver on the play was Dick Wakefield, who was a boyhood friend of mine in Avon Lake, OH. This was, perhaps, Woody’s greatest performance. He hated Michigan with a passion. Wouldn’t even say the word. Just referred to them as “that school up North.” Legend has it that he was on a recruiting visit “up North” and ran out of gas on the return trip. He pushed his pickup truck until he crossed the state line so he wouldn’t have to buy gas in Michigan. In case you can’t tell, this was the Michigan broadcast.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

If, and it’s a big if, does LSU get in if they win out? I know, 2 losses, but they’ll have wins over Georgia, Bama, and Ole Miss and will have the SEC champ tag and I just refuse to believe the committee will leave out the SEC champion.

Can you honestly put a 2 loss LSU in over a 1 loss Tennessee when the Vols mudstomped them in Death Valley?

And I’ll get this jab in before the, “it doesn’t really matter” crowd shows its face but I want justification for Ohio State still being in front of Michigan this Tuesday night…

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I'm not sure USC should be out of the conversation. They still have potential 1 loss oppoenents UCLA and Oregon on the schedule as well as Notre Dame. I could see them gaining favor from the committe if they were to dominately win those games. 

Agree but I’m still 180 degrees on this take when it comes to Oregon.

Pac 12 champ or not, you had your chance…and lost by 46.

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

And I’ll get this jab in before the, “it doesn’t really matter” crowd shows its face but I want justification for Ohio State still being in front of Michigan this Tuesday night…

I feel like Ryan Day's ceiling is #4 in any given year. Every year there is talk about them being one of the best two or three teams in the country, then they end up #4 or #5 in reality. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Can you honestly put a 2 loss LSU in over a 1 loss Tennessee when the Vols mudstomped them in Death Valley?

I think you can if that 2 loss LSU team is the SEC champion. 

To answer your second question, there isn’t, but thankfully to you’re point it doesn’t really matter as the OSU-UM game will be a de-facto play-in game.

Bigger question for Tuesday night, is Michigan or UT #3. That may matter down the road especially if TCU doesn’t win out.

My guess at the top 5

1. UGA

2. OSU

3. UM

4. UT

5. TCU

Edited by Footballking16

10 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I think you can if that 2 loss LSU team is the SEC champion. 

To answer your second question, there isn’t, but thankfully to you’re point it doesn’t really matter as the OSU-UM game will be a de-facto play-in game.

Bigger question for Tuesday night, is Michigan or UT #3. That may matter down the road especially if TCU doesn’t win out.

My guess at the top 5

1. UGA

2. OSU

3. UM

4. UT

5. TCU

Buckle up for three SEC teams then…

NO WAY Georgia falls out of the top 4 with an SEC title loss to LSU.

Tennessee and Oregon both got worked against Georgia but Tennessee was halfway competitive for a while.  No way Oregon jumps them.

I’m not sure why geography when it comes to divisions gets the final say all of a sudden when the SEC West has been the dominant for forever and precedent has been set.

The top two teams in the Big Ten East are light years ahead of anyone in the west and while the conference does not get (or deserve) the benefit of the doubt due to past performance, facts are facts.

If TCU loses, it gets even more interesting.