Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Sect 47 Championship- 11-0 Linton @ 7-4 Sullivan

Well....   lemme just say.. .that 40-20 score is misleading.  I'll be the first to admit it.  Sullivan did not have Rowdy Adams at QB to start in that game, and the backup threw 2 INTs in their 1st 2 possessions... one went to the house, the others put us at the arrow 20 and we scored... we were up 20-0 early.  Adams in the game changed things as Sullivan was able to move the ball.  They got 1st and goal at the 2 before the half.. and Linton stuffed them all 4 downs.  They also were at the 7 earliers and failed on a 4th down.  They key in that win for Linton was that Sulivan could not slow down Linton's offense.  Southmont was able to do that in later portion of the game.  Linton DID have a solid drive in the 3rd and looked to be heading down to score were it not for a hold that pushed them back to 3rd and long long long..   then Southmont seized every ounce of momentum.   I know Arrow fans absolutely feel they are the better team.   Their passing game is very good, and we have had trouble with it all year.  We had been doing better but that 2nd half with Southmont was a step back, and perhaps that's good for the Miners because I'm sure alot of work will be put in that aspect this week. At the same time I know the Arrows are likely licking their chops at having Rowdy Adams 4 quarters....because he ended up with 219 yards passing and 70 rushing.  

I think Sullivan will get there scores and get their yards, but we have to make them earn in... none of the big long pass plays for touchdowns. ... but the real question will be can they stop the  Miner offense?   Linton needs to click as well... need their passing game to be a factor so Sullivan can't just key on Gennicks.  

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this one. Think it will be a 4 quarter battle

I do have to ask, is GCSN going to be broadcasting the game? And if so for the love of all that is holy can they find someone to commentate that knows even a little about football? Or better yet can they just link in to Miner Pride’s radio broadcast? My goodness the talk during the Southmont game was horrible…

Go Miners! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

Really looking forward to this one. Think it will be a 4 quarter battle

I do have to ask, is GCSN going to be broadcasting the game? And if so for the love of all that is holy can they find someone to commentate that knows even a little about football? Or better yet can they just link in to Miner Pride’s radio broadcast? My goodness the talk during the Southmont game was horrible…

Go Miners! 

I am sure GCSN wil...wait... I don;t think Sullivan allows the video stream... come to think of it... I believe that's what happened last year regular season at Sullivan.   We do audio at MEdia Five.. which is WQTY 93.3 FM.. but also at www.wqtyradio.com.. or www.network1sports.com.   I realize it's not video... but we know football and the history and have the facts n stats.   Any stat you hear on GCSN comes from my pen LOL...    Greg Orman, whom I do consider a good friend...has done a lot with GCSN for Greene COunty Sports...county wide and I appeciate that... but I feel we will always be the source for LInton FOotball even tho far more people watch the stream.  I've had a million people ask if GCSN could tap into my broadcast but it's just not possible  We are unfortunately 2 actual competing entities.  I've even spoke to the station about trying to delay our signal to try and match their stream so the places that want to...could use our audio... but it's a cluster.   The only remedy would be that I join GCSN.. but I'm only interested in Linton Football... altho I'd do any Linton sport to be honest... I don't really have the time for all the basketball games or trips...  but I tell ya... you never know what the future hold. I love doing MIner FOotball... and when Jared and the Lintonian were doing the Video Stream and using Media Five Audio we had a killer thing going... I wish it woul have continued.   It may be that Sullivan is offering VIdeo.. but it would be through IHSAA and you'd have to pay.   I'll check and see what I can fin

• Like 1

Both teams are very strong and have had exceptional seasons, I think this Linton team is the best it’s been on offense in awhile with Gennicks being a senior and great receivers in Webb and Walters and Mini Oliver. Hunter Johns has been good this year has well. Sullivan with the Adams brother passing attack had looked really explosive this year. Sullivan may have 4 losses but all those losses are to quality teams like Linton, Owen Valley, Indian Creek, and Northview. I'm taking the upset in this one Sullivan 34 Linton 29. Rowdy connects to Luke with 13 seconds left for the arrows to win the sectional.

Edited by GroundSquirrel

24 minutes ago, GroundSquirrel said:

Both teams are very strong and have had exceptional seasons, I think this Linton team is the best it’s been on offense in awhile with Gennicks being a senior and great receivers in Webb and Walters and Mini Oliver. Hunter Johns has been good this year has well. Sullivan with the Adams brother passing attack had looked really explosive this year. Sullivan may have 4 losses but all those losses are to quality teams like Linton, Owen Valley, Indian Creek, and Northview. I'm taking the upset in this one Sullivan 34 Linton 29. Rowdy connects to Luke with 13 seconds left for the arrows to win the sectional.

You could be correct, but, the Miners are averaging 43.9 points per game as of now.  I highly doubt that the Arrows can hold them to only 29.  But, that is why we play the games.

22 hours ago, 300Game said:

You could be correct, but, the Miners are averaging 43.9 points per game as of now.  I highly doubt that the Arrows can hold them to only 29.  But, that is why we play the games.

You bring up a good point and like I said this might be the best the miner offense has been in awhile, but this is November football the Sullivan d will bend but I don’t see them breaking, Miners could have some turnovers or penalties that hurt them on long drives and it will be up to Sullivan to take advantage of those situations.

This one was closer than many, myself included, thought it would be.  At one point, the announcers gave the score of Sullivan 24 - LS 21 and there was an audible gasp among the crowd at the NP vs Mater Dei game last night.  Win and advance...that is all the matters at this point.  Congrats to the Miners..

38 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

This one was closer than many, myself included, thought it would be.  At one point, the announcers gave the score of Sullivan 24 - LS 21 and there was an audible gasp among the crowd at the NP vs Mater Dei game last night.  Win and advance...that is all the matters at this point.  Congrats to the Miners..

Didn't surprise any of us familiar with both teams.  Sullivan's record doesn't do them justice.  They have gamers and very skilled, dynamic playmakers. Not to mention their strength is Linton's supposed "weakness".  

Sullivan compares favorably to Lincoln if that helps. Well coached, dual threat qb, highly skilled playmakers on the outside with a legit WR1. Defense bends, but they fly to the FB, and have opportune playmakers on that side also.  Solid special teams. Kicker puts it in the end zone & hit a 40yd fg last night 

IMO, the arrows would be a handful for any 2A school in the south. Ask Owen Valley. 

That said, great win by the Miners. Just kept battling. Lot of heart on the Miner's side of the field .  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hick said:

Not to mention their strength is Linton's supposed "weakness".  

Curious, what in your mind is Linton's "weakness"?  My guess might be pass defense but that would be just a guess.  Remembering last year's game, LS seemed to have a lot of speed and size on both sides of the ball in their returning Jr class, now Srs.  They are many people's pick from South in 2A this year.  

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

Curious, what in your mind is Linton's "weakness"?  My guess might be pass defense but that would be just a guess.  Remembering last year's game, LS seemed to have a lot of speed and size on both sides of the ball in their returning Jr class, now Srs.  They are many people's pick from South in 2A this year.  

Most vulnerable to a team with balance that can use the run to set up the pass. I don't think a 2A team will beat us being one dimensional. Corners have struggled letting receivers get behind them, safties are aggressive and like to hit, so over commitment by the safties with corners on an island vs quality receivers is our biggest weakness.

1 hour ago, hick said:

Most vulnerable to a team with balance that can use the run to set up the pass. I don't think a 2A team will beat us being one dimensional. Corners have struggled letting receivers get behind them, safties are aggressive and like to hit, so over commitment by the safties with corners on an island vs quality receivers is our biggest weakness.

The same can be said for most/many high school teams.  IMO, DB & SS are the most difficult positions for high school kids/teams.  Need to be fast and able to make quick adjustments at speed and, oh yeah, and then come up and make hit on a RB coming at you full speed who often outweighs you.  Where do I sign up?   Good luck this week.

• Like 2

Congrats to the Miners - 

Boy what fun an ol Sectional 40 would have been this year, huh??! (MD, SR, and Linton) ...

From afar , it seems like MD isn't quite the team they were last year - whereas it seems Linton is every bit if not more than years past. 

SO - if not this year for Linton to get over the MD hump, then when? 

ps...this is assuming MD gets past Triton, which I don't think is a given.

45 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

It was sure an amazing environment at Sullivan Friday....one of the ages and one that will once more be talked about!   But Linton wins... and I feel the pass defense is 

responsible for the win with their play all 4 quarters.   

2016 Linton team beats this Linton team by 70+ ... Linton DBs couldn't guard a chair. Basically came down to turnovers. Congrats to Miners tho. I say they win again this week but will get throttled in Semis.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, WabashWolf said:

2016 Linton team beats this Linton team by 70+ ... Linton DBs couldn't guard a chair. Basically came down to turnovers. Congrats to Miners tho. I say they win again this week but will get throttled in Semis.

I wouldn't say that.  I haven't gone thru the numbers... yet... but Sullivan put the ball in the air 34 times... hitting 16.. but... most of those completions were short.  The last 2 Sullivan possessions Linton was not going to let anything deep happen so we gave up short 8-10 yard passes.  Up 27to 24 then 33 to 24 that was an easy call.  Of those 34 passes... 11 were of 20+ yards only 2 were completed and both TDs. Voigtschild was especially good at using the sideline and not letting anyone by...plus a big pickoff at the Miner 5 just before halftime.  Both Gennicks and Walters made hits from safety that broke up passes.  Feltner, a soph, came in at CB for an injured Hunter Johns and did well.  I'll take that percentage anytime against a very good passing offense with a very good running QB.  He ran 15 times for 85 unofficial...and 9-59 was in 1st half.  

No question turnovers played a role. but cashing in on them is imperative.  Gennicks' 16 yard TD run would have been a TD from anywhere on the field.  Just as his last run from 35 would have gone the distance from anywhere.  The only gimme was the high snap giving Linton the ball at the Arrow 6.  The other Arrow fumble resulted in a 3 and out from Linton.  Linton also gave Sullivan the ball on a F near midfield just before the half but the defense answered the bell. 

Gennicks won this QB battle with 166 big rushing yards 4 rush TDs on 24 carries, 11 of those moved the chains including several 4th and short.  But credit Voigstchild (7-55) and Walters (9-48) in that run game that came to 307 yards.  Adds Gennicks 10-21-113 and Linton had 420 to Sullivan's 269.  When Linton had to dig in and move the football down 24-21, they did it.  They went 80 yards to open the game with a score...  and the 8 play 74 yard drive that put Linton up 27-24.  Also had a 16 play drive late in 3rd that was blown up on a grounding call and a failed 4th and 7.  Earlier reached Sullivan's 22 and again Sullivan stopped us on a 4th and 7.  

Yes Sullivan had a drop on a 3rd down late that would have moved chains... but yes Linton did the same thing on a 3rd and long that was clearly gonna move the chains.  Yes the arrows fumbled twice, but those were the result of big solid hits from Oliver on the 1st, and Gennicks on the 2nd.  LInton was the more physical team all night in my obviously bias opinion, as well as getting a few yellow hanky's for genuinely solid physical hits.  I don't think you can hit anymore in football.  

I definitely have respect for the Sullivan program. Rowdy Adams is a gamer Luke Adams almost unstoppable at WR, and Cody Adams a monster on defense.  The SUllivan folks know Linton, and what Linton does as well if not better than anyone....to beat them twice in one season is pretty awesome.  I think the Miner kids heard all about week 4 all week leading up to this game...not only from Sullivan folks and social media, but even from Linton fans worried about the pass defense given the first meeting as well as with Southmont in the 2nd half last week.  We faced some good passing teams in South Put and South Vermillion the prior 2 weeks and advanced too.  As I said to start with.. I think the pass D wins this game.  Toward the end Rowdy could not find the open downfield receiver and had to go under or run... and the Dline and ILB's were able to keep him from busting the long play.   The offense had to work for what they got all night...but numbers don't lie.  307 rushing, 113 passing indicates Linton did move the ball. 

Congrats to Coach Caton... Sullivan is certainly much better than a 7-5 record indicates.  I am very happy for this group of LInton Seniors...I think losing this  game and not bringing home the sectional crown would have stuck in the crawl forever and put a damper on an otherwise terrific year.  

10 hours ago, WabashWolf said:

2016 Linton team beats this Linton team by 70+ ..

I  also wouldn't say that... Altho that 2016 team was pretty awesome.  Both teams are very similar, and I have been asked countless times my opinion on who would be tops between Meurer and Gennicks.  They both were outstanding on both sides of the ball, and both made plays to single handedly win ballgames in their Miner career.  It would be a heck of a game... and i'm not gonna try and pick. LOL.  I don't see any 70+ margin on either side.  same with 2012 team.    Tyler had 1524 yards and 32 rush TDs in '16...and had great support with Kendall Williams and Keaton Cox (soph), and bulldozer in the Blue Mule..aka Mason Garrett at RB.  Hunter is at 1710 rush yards at this point in 12 games, with 29 rush TDs.  He also has solid backing with Braden Walter and Jesse Voigtschild (a soph), and HUnter Johns at RB...    Johns and Mason both with big motors, Garrett more pure power and Hunter with a huge burst of speed...     GEnnicks has benefit from a tri fecta of height in the passing game.. 6'3 Oliver 6'4 Webb and 6'5 Walters...as well as Voigtschild from WB.  At this point Hunter is 105-192 with 1449... 19 TDs and just 3 picks.  2016 did not throw nearly as much.... 117 attempts... 56 complete, 1402 yards... 19 TDs and just 2 picks.  2016 didn't have near the options...Williams and Cox each had 13 catches...Bill Smith had 10.  For 2022 the pass has been much more prominent and effective.  Webb with 33 catches, Oliver 22... and Walters with 22 as well... all three well over 300 yards apiece.  Voigtshild adds another 10 and 180+.  

I can see by the numbers that 2016 didn't give up near the pass yards. Sullivan as always it seems, had 191.. but honestly... I don't see the teams on that schedule being pass heavy teams other than the Arrows and perhaps Eastern Greene.  Tecumseh as well.  So it's hard to make comparisons.  I know that the LB group from '16 was pretty stellar with Avery Gentry, Ian Fonseca, Williams  Cox...and luke Miller too.  Meurer was certainly a huge factor at FS and Linton used 3 DBs then.  I think Gennicks, Walters, Voigtschild and Johns have the ability...and I think they showed that much better this game... plus Feltner and Webb give depth we didn't have in 2016.   I feel Ashton Miller this year reminds me of Chance Howard at NT on D...  '16 had some big talent up front with Clayton Walker and Mason at DE's...Levi Jerrels with Howard at DT.  Russell Goodman has really impressed as a Freshman at ILB this year, but it's hard to top that group of LB's in 2016!  2022 has 3 year starters in Giles and Franklin on the O line and definitely a high point talked about coming into the year... 2016 wasn't as big, all seniors, but averaged 327.7 per game on the ground.....

Hard to answer than inevitable question.  but 70 points better?  Don't think so.  My gut says the battle would be the '22 Oline and Gennicks against those '16 LB's and DE's... '22's ability to pass... but could '22 contain Meurer as well as the inside power of Mason.   Lemme fire up my NCAA Nintendo and see.... !!  

41 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I wouldn't say that.  I haven't gone thru the numbers... yet... but Sullivan put the ball in the air 34 times... hitting 16.. but... most of those completions were short.  The last 2 Sullivan possessions Linton was not going to let anything deep happen so we gave up short 8-10 yard passes.  Up 27to 24 then 33 to 24 that was an easy call.  Of those 34 passes... 11 were of 20+ yards only 2 were completed and both TDs. Voigtschild was especially good at using the sideline and not letting anyone by...plus a big pickoff at the Miner 5 just before halftime.  Both Gennicks and Walters made hits from safety that broke up passes.  Feltner, a soph, came in at CB for an injured Hunter Johns and did well.  I'll take that percentage anytime against a very good passing offense with a very good running QB.  He ran 15 times for 85 unofficial...and 9-59 was in 1st half.  

No question turnovers played a role. but cashing in on them is imperative.  Gennicks' 16 yard TD run would have been a TD from anywhere on the field.  Just as his last run from 35 would have gone the distance from anywhere.  The only gimme was the high snap giving Linton the ball at the Arrow 6.  The other Arrow fumble resulted in a 3 and out from Linton.  Linton also gave Sullivan the ball on a F near midfield just before the half but the defense answered the bell. 

Gennicks won this QB battle with 166 big rushing yards 4 rush TDs on 24 carries, 11 of those moved the chains including several 4th and short.  But credit Voigstchild (7-55) and Walters (9-48) in that run game that came to 307 yards.  Adds Gennicks 10-21-113 and Linton had 420 to Sullivan's 269.  When Linton had to dig in and move the football down 24-21, they did it.  They went 80 yards to open the game with a score...  and the 8 play 74 yard drive that put Linton up 27-24.  Also had a 16 play drive late in 3rd that was blown up on a grounding call and a failed 4th and 7.  Earlier reached Sullivan's 22 and again Sullivan stopped us on a 4th and 7.  

Yes Sullivan had a drop on a 3rd down late that would have moved chains... but yes Linton did the same thing on a 3rd and long that was clearly gonna move the chains.  Yes the arrows fumbled twice, but those were the result of big solid hits from Oliver on the 1st, and Gennicks on the 2nd.  LInton was the more physical team all night in my obviously bias opinion, as well as getting a few yellow hanky's for genuinely solid physical hits.  I don't think you can hit anymore in football.  

I definitely have respect for the Sullivan program. Rowdy Adams is a gamer Luke Adams almost unstoppable at WR, and Cody Adams a monster on defense.  The SUllivan folks know Linton, and what Linton does as well if not better than anyone....to beat them twice in one season is pretty awesome.  I think the Miner kids heard all about week 4 all week leading up to this game...not only from Sullivan folks and social media, but even from Linton fans worried about the pass defense given the first meeting as well as with Southmont in the 2nd half last week.  We faced some good passing teams in South Put and South Vermillion the prior 2 weeks and advanced too.  As I said to start with.. I think the pass D wins this game.  Toward the end Rowdy could not find the open downfield receiver and had to go under or run... and the Dline and ILB's were able to keep him from busting the long play.   The offense had to work for what they got all night...but numbers don't lie.  307 rushing, 113 passing indicates Linton did move the ball. 

Congrats to Coach Caton... Sullivan is certainly much better than a 7-5 record indicates.  I am very happy for this group of LInton Seniors...I think losing this  game and not bringing home the sectional crown would have stuck in the crawl forever and put a damper on an otherwise terrific year.  

Very well said. 

Anyone who thinks less of Linton or their postseason chances doesn't understand how dangerous that Sullivan team was nor the Linton/Sullivan rivalry. I get the sense that group isn't always the most consistent when it comes to focus and preparation, but when they're dialed in they're really good. I think ultimately the Miners were the mentally tougher team.  I'll also stand by my earlier comments - going into the game, anyone from Linton would've happily taken a 9 point win. And, a focused/motivated Sullivan team would be a handful for any 2A South opponent this season. 

Bottom line, we beat a very good team twice who's strength was our supposed "weakness". And both times by multiple scores.

16 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I  also wouldn't say that... Altho that 2016 team was pretty awesome.  Both teams are very similar, and I have been asked countless times my opinion on who would be tops between Meurer and Gennicks.  They both were outstanding on both sides of the ball, and both made plays to single handedly win ballgames in their Miner career.  It would be a heck of a game... and i'm not gonna try and pick. LOL.  I don't see any 70+ margin on either side.  same with 2012 team.    Tyler had 1524 yards and 32 rush TDs in '16...and had great support with Kendall Williams and Keaton Cox (soph), and bulldozer in the Blue Mule..aka Mason Garrett at RB.  Hunter is at 1710 rush yards at this point in 12 games, with 29 rush TDs.  He also has solid backing with Braden Walter and Jesse Voigtschild (a soph), and HUnter Johns at RB...    Johns and Mason both with big motors, Garrett more pure power and Hunter with a huge burst of speed...     GEnnicks has benefit from a tri fecta of height in the passing game.. 6'3 Oliver 6'4 Webb and 6'5 Walters...as well as Voigtschild from WB.  At this point Hunter is 105-192 with 1449... 19 TDs and just 3 picks.  2016 did not throw nearly as much.... 117 attempts... 56 complete, 1402 yards... 19 TDs and just 2 picks.  2016 didn't have near the options...Williams and Cox each had 13 catches...Bill Smith had 10.  For 2022 the pass has been much more prominent and effective.  Webb with 33 catches, Oliver 22... and Walters with 22 as well... all three well over 300 yards apiece.  Voigtshild adds another 10 and 180+.  

I can see by the numbers that 2016 didn't give up near the pass yards. Sullivan as always it seems, had 191.. but honestly... I don't see the teams on that schedule being pass heavy teams other than the Arrows and perhaps Eastern Greene.  Tecumseh as well.  So it's hard to make comparisons.  I know that the LB group from '16 was pretty stellar with Avery Gentry, Ian Fonseca, Williams  Cox...and luke Miller too.  Meurer was certainly a huge factor at FS and Linton used 3 DBs then.  I think Gennicks, Walters, Voigtschild and Johns have the ability...and I think they showed that much better this game... plus Feltner and Webb give depth we didn't have in 2016.   I feel Ashton Miller this year reminds me of Chance Howard at NT on D...  '16 had some big talent up front with Clayton Walker and Mason at DE's...Levi Jerrels with Howard at DT.  Russell Goodman has really impressed as a Freshman at ILB this year, but it's hard to top that group of LB's in 2016!  2022 has 3 year starters in Giles and Franklin on the O line and definitely a high point talked about coming into the year... 2016 wasn't as big, all seniors, but averaged 327.7 per game on the ground.....

Hard to answer than inevitable question.  but 70 points better?  Don't think so.  My gut says the battle would be the '22 Oline and Gennicks against those '16 LB's and DE's... '22's ability to pass... but could '22 contain Meurer as well as the inside power of Mason.   Lemme fire up my NCAA Nintendo and see.... !!  

Cal Preps:

2022- 38  2012- 31

2022- 35  2015- 31

2022- 28  2016- 40

2022- 35  2021- 34 

Be interesting to revisit when the season ends

11 hours ago, hick said:

Cal Preps:

2022- 38  2012- 31

2022- 35  2015- 31

2022- 28  2016- 40

2022- 35  2021- 34 

Be interesting to revisit when the season ends

oh yeah.. .this kind of talk is always going on.  I have yearly info that ranks the teams in teams of offense defense etd... but it sometimes is not fair really.  The 2000s schedule with Dugger Wood Memorial, Upstart Eastern Greene, North Central were almost always over at the coin toss and certainly by the 1st quarter... Recent schedules have been much more competitive..  Interesting  the 2022 and 2021 score.  If 2021 would have had the  addition of Walters as a soph....which would have opened up some passing options .... or if Eslinger would have been a senior this year with Goodman at ILB and WB....