Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Good Story - Back on the chain gang.

I am certain every school & team has a story like this but it is still good to read about this kind of dedication from fans & alumni. 

Apologies if posting this story from a local station violates some GID policy, as that is certainly not my intent.

https://www.14news.com/2022/11/11/mater-dei-graduate-celebrates-44-seasons-wildcats-chain-crew/

Published: Nov. 10, 2022 at 11:08 PM CST|Updated: 8 hours ago

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Joe Koressel was born a Mater Dei Wildcat.

“Ever since I can remember, my mom and dad went to Mater Dei football games, we would go to Vincennes, Terre Haute, and come back the same night,” Koressel said.

Koressel graduated from Mater Dei in 1979, the same year he started working for the Wildcats’ chain crew.

“I was at a football game the fall that I graduated,” Koressel said. “They needed a guy on the ‘chain gang,’ so I was leaning up against the fence at the Reitz Bowl and the guy said, ‘Hey, you want to do this?’ And I said yes. Been on it ever since.”

Over the years, Koressel said he has seen a lot of talent from the sidelines, including the season that Mater Dei won the state title with head coach Mike Goebel in 2000.

“The best win was when we beat Indianapolis Scecina and that gave us the trip to Indianapolis at the Reitz Bowl,” Koressel said. “It was crazy that night, I think the field was just about full with fans.”

[RELATED: Mater Dei eying for third straight 2A regional win over Triton Central]

For the past 44 seasons, Koressel has volunteered his time to the community he calls family.

“I think it’s great for our players and students to see and get great role models as far as people who give and give and give,” Mater Dei head coach Mike Goebel said. “Maybe they can learn how to do the same thing. That lesson in life I think wears off nicely.”

Throughout his time with the Wildcats, Koressel has rotated through every position from holding the forward and rear rods, to the box, and now he is the “clip man.”

“My actual job is to place the clip on the chain, which makes it crucial on first downs because when they go to stretch the chain I could be off by a half an inch and not get a first down,” Koressel said. “Of course, I always mark it right.”

Koressel told 14 Sports his goal is to make it to 50 years on the crew.

“I tell people one arm bleeds red, the other bleeds gold,” he said. “Mater Dei is simply the best all the way around.”

Copyright 2022 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Edited by MDAlum82
removed blank spaces
  • Like 2

No disrespect to this gentleman, or to chain crew members everywhere. But when I was working, when we met with the chain crew pregame and heard, “yeah, we’ve been doing this a long time,” I cringed. Often, those guys were the hardest to work with, since they had their own way of doing things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

No disrespect to this gentleman, or to chain crew members everywhere. But when I was working, when we met with the chain crew pregame and heard, “yeah, we’ve been doing this a long time,” I cringed. Often, those guys were the hardest to work with, since they had their own way of doing things.

Sounds like they knew the way things should be and kept officials in line 🤣 is what you are saying.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

No disrespect to you, Bobref, or to referees everywhere, but don't you think the same can likely be said about many/most of the older officials?  😅🤣😂

Edited by MDAlum82
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MDAlum82 said:

No disrespect to you, Bobref, or to referees everywhere, but don't you think the same can likely be said about many/most of the older officials?  😅🤣😂

Absolutely!

9 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Sounds like they knew the way things should be and kept officials in line 🤣 is what you are saying.

If only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

The same can be said for the clock operators... 

When I was on the wing my 1st year, I was doing a game that got ugly quick and started to pour down rain. With about 2 minutes left in the game that was 70-3, I look out in the middle of the field and after the play was over the crew was chuckling. They came over the handheld and said "Turn around." The chain gang decided to leave. I was speechless. When we talk to the chain gang before the games, now that I am the R, I make it a point to tell them that you can not leave until we do. 

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

I am certain every school & team has a story like this but it is still good to read about this kind of dedication from fans & alumni. 

Apologies if posting this story from a local station violates some GID policy, as that is certainly not my intent.

https://www.14news.com/2022/11/11/mater-dei-graduate-celebrates-44-seasons-wildcats-chain-crew/

Published: Nov. 10, 2022 at 11:08 PM CST|Updated: 8 hours ago

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Joe Koressel was born a Mater Dei Wildcat.

“Ever since I can remember, my mom and dad went to Mater Dei football games, we would go to Vincennes, Terre Haute, and come back the same night,” Koressel said.

Koressel graduated from Mater Dei in 1979, the same year he started working for the Wildcats’ chain crew.

“I was at a football game the fall that I graduated,” Koressel said. “They needed a guy on the ‘chain gang,’ so I was leaning up against the fence at the Reitz Bowl and the guy said, ‘Hey, you want to do this?’ And I said yes. Been on it ever since.”

Over the years, Koressel said he has seen a lot of talent from the sidelines, including the season that Mater Dei won the state title with head coach Mike Goebel in 2000.

“The best win was when we beat Indianapolis Scecina and that gave us the trip to Indianapolis at the Reitz Bowl,” Koressel said. “It was crazy that night, I think the field was just about full with fans.”

[RELATED: Mater Dei eying for third straight 2A regional win over Triton Central]

For the past 44 seasons, Koressel has volunteered his time to the community he calls family.

“I think it’s great for our players and students to see and get great role models as far as people who give and give and give,” Mater Dei head coach Mike Goebel said. “Maybe they can learn how to do the same thing. That lesson in life I think wears off nicely.”

Throughout his time with the Wildcats, Koressel has rotated through every position from holding the forward and rear rods, to the box, and now he is the “clip man.”

“My actual job is to place the clip on the chain, which makes it crucial on first downs because when they go to stretch the chain I could be off by a half an inch and not get a first down,” Koressel said. “Of course, I always mark it right.”

Koressel told 14 Sports his goal is to make it to 50 years on the crew.

“I tell people one arm bleeds red, the other bleeds gold,” he said. “Mater Dei is simply the best all the way around.”

Copyright 2022 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Great read! Glad he enjoys doing it!

• Haha 1