Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MD vs Linton

Linton hasn't played a clean game all year.  We have spurts every game we look unstoppable, but also spurts we look very beatable.  Hard to explain.  Has to be 4 quarters of our best football next Friday or we don't stand a chance. 

• Like 1

Linton-Stockton (13-0) at Evansville Mater Dei (10-3)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Reitz Bowl.
COACHES: Brian Oliver, 104-22 in 10th year at Linton. Mike Goebel, 258-82 in 26th year at Mater Dei.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Linton, 73.68, 46th overall, 2nd in 2A. Mater Dei, 72.17, 51st overall, 4th in 2A.
LAST OUTING: Linton defeated Lapel, 60-24. Mater Dei defeated Triton Central, 35-28.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Linton 74-70. Mater Dei 77-66.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Mater Dei, 5-0
LAST MEETING: Mater Dei, 28-27, Oct. 29, 2021, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Mater Dei, 31-28.
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 12:01 AM, SEAL_63 said:

Just glad this is a semi state match up...for once the sectional alignment/draw got this one right. Can't wait to see. 

They didn't get it right.  MD had to drive to Triton Central and Linton played Lapel in the regional.  MD/Linton and TC/Lapel should have been the regional games.

Regardless, the game this Friday should be a good one.

45 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

They didn't get it right.  MD had to drive to Triton Central and Linton played Lapel in the regional.  MD/Linton and TC/Lapel should have been the regional games.

Regardless, the game this Friday should be a good one.

Is the game info provided on the IHSAA site correct?  Game time is 6:30pm on Friday at the Bowl?  Going to be a cold one🥶..

Also, just curious here and not trying to stir the pot in any way but how did Linton move from Sectional 40 to Sectional 37 this year?  Was putting them in Sectional 40 somehow incorrect and Sectional 37 is better fit as their true home sectional?  Seems like a big move.

Edited by MDAlum82
added text

Eventually Linton will crack the "MD code/curse/whatever you want to call it" - they are too good a program not to. 

Typically I would have a pretty good pulse on this game, as both were old Sectional 40 adversaries (how much fun would that old sectional have been this year!?) and I would have watched plenty of snaps from both.

But, not anymore...have only seen very little on Linton, and not one snap of MD all year. 

But- feel like this years Linton team has that "this is our year" vibe to it....I'll take Linton by a couple scores. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Is the game info provided on the IHSAA site correct?  Game time is 6:30pm on Friday at the Bowl?  Going to be a cold one🥶..

Also, just curious here and not trying to stir the pot in any way but how did Linton move from Sectional 40 to Sectional 37 this year?  Was putting them in Sectional 40 somehow incorrect and Sectional 37 is better fit as their true home sectional?  Seems like a big move.

I think it may have had more to do with all of the movement between 3a, 2a, and 1a.  Just seems that a lot of movement was sectional 40 and 48.  

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Where’s King Tuts? It’s not a Liptons thread without him. 

He usually waits until later in the week to post, or so it seems.  Far more than the avg GID poster, he tends to think over what he says and how he says it - lest he offend someone and create some bulletin board material for LS opponents.  Always enjoy reading his posts and summaries of the Miners.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

He usually waits until later in the week to post, or so it seems.  Far more than the avg GID poster, he tends to think over what he says and how he says it - lest he offend someone and create some bulletin board material for LS opponents.  Always enjoy reading his posts and summaries of the Miners.

I don’t think he’s posted for several weeks. He’s a GID legend, I swear to God he is

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

10 years ago, this thread would've been 15 pages by today.  Quietest Miner SS thread in the history of the Digest.

I assume, haven't watched any film, that MD wants to pass the ball.  The Miners are going to run it.  Who will the cold weather affect more?

MD has actually run the ball more this year than they have passed it.  350 rushes vs 300 passes.  2565 yds through the air and 1733 on the ground.  27 passing TD and 22 rushing TD.  It's been a very balanced attack this year.  They can and will sling it, but they will try to establish the running game too.  Par maxpreps, last week in the cold and wind, MD was 7/9 passing and had 33 rushing attempts.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t think he’s posted for several weeks. He’s a GID legend, I swear to God he is

I'm still alive and well and mostly lurking these days on the GID.  I'll be 91 next month.  True, I don't post as much as I used to.  In fact, I wonder about all the other Miner GIDers that used to post regularly but have seemingly disappeared.  I'm still just as passionate about all the Miner sports teams that are doing very well.  I think there is a Proverb that says something to the effect that with old age comes wisdom.  Maybe that's why anyone else's opinion about my team, good or bad, rarely incites me to respond. But I certainly enjoy reading all your posts.  When I feel like I have something meaningful to contribute, I'll jump in.  As far as the MD game is concerned,  I hope the team is more confident than I am, and I'm pretty sure they are and I know they are looking forward to getting another shot at their nemesis.  Linton is very good offensively, led by the running of senior QB Gennicks.  I don't know what his total yardage is but it's impressive.  But the Miners spread the carries around and three other backs have good totals as well.  Less effective is the passing game but it is still a big part of the offense.  Run defense is very good but pass defense is suspect, however it has been better through the playoffs even though they have been burned by long passes a few times.  It's going to be bitter cold. I don't know how that might impact the play or which team it might favor.  My guess it will hurt the passing game more than the run.  I won't be there.  Too cold for me but I'll be watching on my big TV.    

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

I'm still alive and well and mostly lurking these days on the GID.  I'll be 91 next month.  True, I don't post as much as I used to.  In fact, I wonder about all the other Miner GIDers that used to post regularly but have seemingly disappeared.  I'm still just as passionate about all the Miner sports teams that are doing very well.  I think there is a Proverb that says something to the effect that with old age comes wisdom.  Maybe that's why anyone else's opinion about my team, good or bad, rarely incites me to respond. But I certainly enjoy reading all your posts.  When I feel like I have something meaningful to contribute, I'll jump in.  As far as the MD game is concerned,  I hope the team is more confident than I am, and I'm pretty sure they are and I know they are looking forward to getting another shot at their nemesis.  Linton is very good offensively, led by the running of senior QB Gennicks.  I don't know what his total yardage is but it's impressive.  But the Miners spread the carries around and three other backs have good totals as well.  Less effective is the passing game but it is still a big part of the offense.  Run defense is very good but pass defense is suspect, however it has been better through the playoffs even though they have been burned by long passes a few times.  It's going to be bitter cold. I don't know how that might impact the play or which team it might favor.  My guess it will hurt the passing game more than the run.  I won't be there.  Too cold for me but I'll be watching on my big TV.    

Always good to read your posts and know you are doing well.  Happy 91st, even if a bit early.  May we all be so lucky to live long enough to gain wisdom.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Always good to read your posts and know you are doing well.  Happy 91st, even if a bit early.  May we all be so lucky to live long enough to gain wisdom.  

Amen and well said. Glad to hear you are doing well kingtut. Any school would be lucky to have a supporter as loyal and knowledgeable as you. 

• Like 1

Very interested to see how this game ends up playing out. Both teams have some kind of advantage on their side. Linton likes to run, so the weather will definitely play into their favor in this one. MD has home field advantage and does not have to deal with traveling. Interested to see how MD’s passing game looks in the extremely cold weather. Been waiting for this game all year hoping it was going to happen, let the toughest team win. Wondering what everyone’s predictions are for this one.

8 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Have Memorial and Linton every played in any of the big three sports -- football, basketball, or baseball?

Girls basketball has played the last two seasons.  Can't recall any recent match-ups on the boys side.