Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A South SS - Whiteland at Castle

Outside of just looking at schedules and scores.   How is this game looking?  
It looked like Bloomington South was to be the favorite against Castle in Regionals but it really wasn’t close after halftime.  
Whiteland looks to play a large school schedule during the regular season.  
With Castle losing both their first and second string RBs they have moved a WR to starting RB.  Castle also switched starting QBs around week 6. Their current qb was their #1 WR prior to the switch.  He does have a little more mobility but losing him at WR hurts some .   Any info on Whiteland?  John Lidy Field at Castle still has a natural grass so hopefully the weather is good.  Visitor side bleachers are elevated and fairly large.  

Edited by AW0352

Whiteland (11-1) at Castle (8-4)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Lidy Field.
COACHES: Darrin Fisher, 129-72 in 18th year at Whiteland, 190-144 in 32nd year overall. Doug Hurt, 127-69 in 17th year at Castle.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Whiteland, 92.3, 9th overall, 2nd in 5A. Castle, 71.24, 56th overall, 11th in 5A.
LAST OUTING: Whiteland defeated Plainfield, 49-14. Castle defeated Bloomington South, 31-14.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Whiteland 63-68. Castle 66-64.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Whiteland, 38-17.
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

Outside of just looking at schedules and scores.   How is this game looking?  
It looked like Bloomington South was to be the favorite against Castle in Regionals but it really wasn’t close after halftime.  
Whiteland looks to play a large school schedule during the regular season.  
With Castle losing both their first and second string RBs they have moved a WR to starting RB.  Castle also switched starting QBs around week 6. Their current qb was their #1 WR prior to the switch.  He does have a little more mobility but losing him at WR hurts some .   Any info on Whiteland?  John Lidy Field at Castle still has a natural grass so hopefully the weather is good.  Visitor side bleachers are elevated and fairly large.  

Looks they only lost to Martinsville 35-21. But it seems like they are heavy run offense on the season, with over 3400 rushing yards and averaging 6.9 YPC and 40 TDS. 1 RB with 1100+ yards and 2 with 500+ yards

Edited by TigerFan20

On 11/12/2022 at 2:23 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Looks they only lost to Martinsville 35-21. But it seems like they are heavy run offense on the season, with over 3400 rushing yards and averaging 6.9 YPC and 40 TDS. 1 RB with 1100+ yards and 2 with 500+ yards

Whiteland is a run heavy offense. They will pass on occasion when needed. Their offense is an unconventional offense that not a lot of teams see. Their Head Coach, Coach Fisher is well versed with a group of coaches teaching the offense they run. It is called the Fly offense, most teams haven't seen it and if ran well it is a tough offense to defend. 

12 hours ago, AW0352 said:

Any Whiteland fans on the GI Digest? 

There use to be a couple but haven't seen any in awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Whiteland is a run heavy offense. They will pass on occasion when needed. Their offense is an unconventional offense that not a lot of teams see. Their Head Coach, Coach Fisher is well versed with a group of coaches teaching the offense they run. It is called the Fly offense, most teams haven't seen it and if ran well it is a tough offense to defend. 

There use to be a couple but haven't seen any in awhile.

This is the year for Whiteland fans to be on here, because Whiteland has a very good chance to win state.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Jet sweep right.  Jet sweep left. 

Unless things have changed since the games I recall with Whiteland.  Always a big physical group.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:23 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Whiteland is always run-heavy. It's fly sweep left, fly sweep right and if you adjust to that, they hit you with the tailback up the middle out of the I formation. They run about 90% of the time with multiple backs and they're very good at it. 

14 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Any word on a livestream

IHSAAtv will have all semistate games, but PPV ($12 per game).  

2 hours ago, AW0352 said:

I had to look up Fly sweep.  I’m my mind I pictured jet sweep.  Looks very similar to the Wing T offense (which is awesome in high school).  A little more research and I found Fly sweep is a descendant of the Wing T offense.   

Without knowing the blocking schemes, et al, it looks like the Wing-T, jet sweep and I-formation had a baby and called it the Fly offense. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Or $17 for all 12. I'm spending the extra fiver.

Are you able to replay those if you buy the package (or even just a single game)?  I’m out of town Friday for an early Thanksgiving dinner and will miss all of the games live.

24 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Are you able to replay those if you buy the package (or even just a single game)?  I’m out of town Friday for an early Thanksgiving dinner and will miss all of the games live.

yes, up until July 2023

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

Two old friends from Martinsville (one who played on Siderwicz first team, one who coached) (RIP) both used to state how frustrating it was that Whiteland only ran the same handful of plays in essence and, yet, the Artesians were incompetent at defending it year after year. That is the fly offense that the Warriors have run under Fisher. Worse, when the backers fall asleep, they throw a pass that is undefended. Now, if they HAVE to pass, that is a different story.