Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HSE at Carroll

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

No one is forcing you to be here.

I'm here because I like the Fort Wayne Snider guys . Been having conversations with them for over 20 years .Most of them will remember the mid 90's and 03,04 Semistate conversations . Lets Go Carroll and Snider. Be cool to have 2 teams from Fort Wayne down at LOS . 

Here's a paragraph from the LA Times article on bus travel . 

For the athletes, a long bus trip can be a detriment to on-field performance. After 30 minutes or so on the road, players can become sleepy, lethargic, or, in some cases, even sick.

“We have at least one (player) a year get sick in the bus,” Hayes said. “Last year, one of our baseball players got so sick, he couldn’t play in the game. And last week, on the way up to Twin Pines (in Banning), it happened to one of our key backs. It’s a problem.”

8 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Here's a paragraph from the LA Times article on bus travel . 

For the athletes, a long bus trip can be a detriment to on-field performance. After 30 minutes or so on the road, players can become sleepy, lethargic, or, in some cases, even sick.

“We have at least one (player) a year get sick in the bus,” Hayes said. “Last year, one of our baseball players got so sick, he couldn’t play in the game. And last week, on the way up to Twin Pines (in Banning), it happened to one of our key backs. It’s a problem.”

Damn, its down to 30 minutes now?  No one is safe.

27 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I'm here because I like the Fort Wayne Snider guys . Been having conversations with them for over 20 years .Most of them will remember the mid 90's and 03,04 Semistate conversations . Lets Go Carroll and Snider. Be cool to have 2 teams from Fort Wayne down at LOS . 

Good to have a Penn presence back on the forum. There were a few of you guys at one time. Mutual respect between Snider fans, players, and coaches. Always a clean game. It's possible they'll meet up again when Snider bumps up to 6A. Does Penn have the large fan support on Friday nights that they had back in the 90's?

I found this interesting. The Chargers have played inspired football this season after suddenly losing a teammate during the off season. Best of luck to both teams, but being in the area, I am rooting for the Chargers. Regardless of the outcome, emotions will be high

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Give 'em all Dramamine and see what type of product shows up on the field.

Just now, Irishman said:

I found this interesting. The Chargers have played inspired football this season after suddenly losing a teammate during the off season. Best of luck to both teams, but being in the area, I am rooting for the Chargers.

You believe in number theory? What about color theory?

7 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I found this interesting. The Chargers have played inspired football this season after suddenly losing a teammate during the off season. Best of luck to both teams, but being in the area, I am rooting for the Chargers. Regardless of the outcome, emotions will be high

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing Irishman. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Well said sir!!! 

15 hours ago, temptation said:

I’m certain there is truth to this article, it does happen.  Any smart football coach though will have his team to the visiting location early enough to get out on the field WELL before official warmup to wake back up.  Add in official warm up and the juice of the crowd at game time and it’s a moot point.

Factual article but with zero human element added in to get ready for the game.  It’s not as if you’re getting off the bus and playing a game 30 minutes later.

Was fortunate to play for 2 HOF coaches in Chris Geesman and Wally Yeoman . Seen multiple interviews by Legendary HOF coaches Russ Isaacs( Snider), Mark Hoffman(Valpo) and Dick Dullaghan (Ben Davis) spanning multiple decades . Every time one of these teams traveled 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to play a deep playoff game or in some cases regular season , it was almost always mentioned . If long travel times didn't mean anything , I doubt any of these coaches would mention it . I believe long travel times add an extra element for coaches to get the players ready to play . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I’m certain there is truth to this article, it does happen.  Any smart football coach though will have his team to the visiting location early enough to get out on the field WELL before official warmup to wake back up.  Add in official warm up and the juice of the crowd at game time and it’s a moot point.

Factual article but with zero human element added in to get ready for the game.  It’s not as if you’re getting off the bus and playing a game 30 minutes later.

How is it a moot point? The opinions of the coaches interviewed for that article aren't valid? 

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Considering I have either coached or played sports for my entire life, how in the **** can you say it is a moot point? Man, I just don’t get it…

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Was fortunate to play for 2 HOF coaches in Chris Geesman and Wally Yeoman . Seen multiple interviews by Legendary HOF coaches Russ Isaacs( Snider), Mark Hoffman(Valpo) and Dick Dullaghan (Ben Davis) spanning multiple decades . Every time one of these teams traveled 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to play a deep playoff game or in some cases regular season , it was almost always mentioned . If long travel times didn't mean anything , I doubt any of these coaches would mention it . I believe long travel times add an extra element for coaches to get the players ready to play . 

Even when proven wrong, you double down!  I love it!

Spoiler alert:  Two coaches, whether hall of fame or not, is not a large enough sample size to make a definitive statement.

#micdrop

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

What are the home team players doing while the visiting team is traveling to the game?

Eating, sleeping, playing video games?

This is an overstated idiom that has grown legs with zero to little factual supporting data.

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

What are the home team players doing while the visiting team is traveling to the game?

This is an overstated idiom that has grown legs with zero to little factual supporting data.

probably watching film for next week since this one is in the bag by virtue of playing at home.

How much do you think coaching experience will come into to play for this game? Coach Dinan has several more years of experience over Coach Kelly as a head coach, and the core of Carroll's staff has been with him during his 13 years. That experience showed last week when the team didn't panic after being down 13 at halftime and went up by one in the 3rd and blanked Lafayette Jeff in the 2nd half. 

I think the team also gained experience from last year's regional game with Westfield. The Chargers were down only 10 at the half to a really strong Shamrock team.

Carroll needs a strong start Friday night to earn a trip to LOS. 22-13 Charger win (yes, those numbers are significant).

27 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Considering I have either coached or played sports for my entire life, how in the **** can you say it is a moot point? Man, I just don’t get it…

there is no logic behind this type of statement.

considering I did this, how can you think that?

let me rephrase for you

considering I have driven 30082092374 miles this year, how can you possibly think a simple bus ride will have an effect on the game.

(whichever side of the argument you're on I think we can agree that we should use sound logic in our arguments, and then we should remove the mercy rule because it is an abomination).

34 minutes ago, FW HS Football said:

How much do you think coaching experience will come into to play for this game? Coach Dinan has several more years of experience over Coach Kelly as a head coach, and the core of Carroll's staff has been with him during his 13 years. That experience showed last week when the team didn't panic after being down 13 at halftime and went up by one in the 3rd and blanked Lafayette Jeff in the 2nd half. 

I think the team also gained experience from last year's regional game with Westfield. The Chargers were down only 10 at the half to a really strong Shamrock team.

Carroll needs a strong start Friday night to earn a trip to LOS. 22-13 Charger win (yes, those numbers are significant).

If we can all agree that the home team has a 1.76 point advantage based on Sagarin's research of 1800 football games, then can we agree that driving two hours might bump that advantage up even if minimal? Let's say it moves that advantage to 3 or even 5. In most cases, the better team ends up winning anyway. But it's hard to deny that isn't, at minimum, a SLIGHT advantage to the home team in this case. Common sense tells me there is an advantage. How big the advantage we'll never know since there is no way of calculating this based on data (unless your Sagarin.).

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Jeez , I don't know , when was the last time someone got car sick from playing video games in the school hallway ?Go Carroll , you will represent well at LOS . 

Side note outside of all this banter

I highly encourage anyone that is able to make the trip to MAKE THE TRIP! Carroll's stadium/facility is without a doubt in the Top 5 of all Indiana in my opinion. Truly an amazing complex they have. Worth the price of admission for that alone.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07