Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFLPA calls for improved playing surfaces at 6 venues

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Posting here as there are a number of games on the LOS field. My guess is looking at 5 of these, the issue is the fields are not permanent installs. The regular pulling up and putting down may have an impact. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nflpa-calls-6-venues-improve-233031906.html 

Thanks for sharing.  I'm not sure what "slit film" turf is to be honest.  

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

I'd rather play on a nice grass surface any day over turf...

As would I, however, I would say in my entire career (HS/College) I played on 1 properly maintained grass field. I had 3 injuries directly related to field conditions on grass and never had an issue on turf. In the instance of the NFL with the resources to properly maintain a grass playing surface they should do so, but don't think that's scalable for high schools. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

I'd rather play on a nice grass surface any day over turf...

I am willing to bet most people would prefer that as well. The fact is it has been a LONG time since I have see a nice grass surface. In fact, in 30 years of coaching, I can likely count on one hand the number of nice grass fields I have seen.  

46 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I am willing to bet most people would prefer that as well. The fact is it has been a LONG time since I have see a nice grass surface. In fact, in 30 years of coaching, I can likely count on one hand the number of nice grass fields I have seen.  

2016 Pioneer played at Adams Central at semi state and the grass was immaculate. Kudos to their grounds crew for the field staying great all through the torrential downpour before and during the game. 

LCC’s Bermuda grass field was also nice when we played there in 2018. 

57 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Carroll (FW) had the BEST grass field in the local area (Bar None!). 

I understand the move to field turf...for the added functionality of  a variety of educational as well as sports endeavors.  

I am not gonna say that I am opposed to grass all the time, but sometimes it's kinda "Brave" to have to do game at certain places....😃  Long, weird lines, and I swear to god...holes that just pop up out of nowhere.  

• Like 1

Grass is safer than turf.  Fact check = True.

However....

Most high school athletic programs do not have the ability to properly maintain a grass surface for an entire season.  Most fields have multiple games on them each week as it is (some combination of Var/JV/Frosh/MS/Youth), throw in one Friday night downpour and ensuing mud bath, and that field is trash for the rest of the season.

Also keep in mind how much you would need to limit any access to that field outside of games to keep it in playing shape.

Having played at the Brickie Bowl in the 90's I can tell you that many high school fields will not be anywhere close to the "safer grass surfaces" discussed in much of the media right now.

If anything IHSAA should find ways to support/enforce the safer upkeep of current turf fields.  They need maintenance, and periodic replacement as well.  I've been on some turf fields recently that are not maintained well and by November they feel like the old Hoosier Dome astroturf.

54 minutes ago, US31 said:

However....

Most high school athletic programs do not have the ability to properly maintain a grass surface for an entire season.  Most fields have multiple games on them each week as it is (some combination of Var/JV/Frosh/MS/Youth), throw in one Friday night downpour and ensuing mud bath, and that field is trash for the rest of the season.

Also keep in mind how much you would need to limit any access to that field outside of games to keep it in playing shape.

Having played at the Brickie Bowl in the 90's I can tell you that many high school fields will not be anywhere close to the "safer grass surfaces" discussed in much of the media right now.

If anything IHSAA should find ways to support/enforce the safer upkeep of current turf fields.  They need maintenance, and periodic replacement as well.  I've been on some turf fields recently that are not maintained well and by November they feel like the old Hoosier Dome astroturf.

Cue the “old time football” pics from the CG/Cathedral game at Arlington Friday. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Cue the “old time football” pics from the CG/Cathedral game at Arlington Friday. 

It will be glorious.   Weather and field conditions are just part of the game, possible obstacles to adapt to and overcome.  The team that does the poorer job of that may be at a disadvantage.   All part of the game.   The thing is we adults want to remove as many possible variables from the game equation as we can, and the field condition is one of those variables.

This past weekend, while all others were enjoying their Friday night games and the opening day of deer season - we had to play on SATURDAY and it dumped about 2 inches of WET snow from 9-11 am. The forecast wasn't going to help us with any sunshine in time for a 5 pm kickoff. I can't imagine what our playing surface would have been like had we had a grass field - but it would have been a travesty to play a Championship level game in those conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, US31 said:

However....

This is absolutely the case for almost every high school outside of Guerin, who, by the way, has the nicest grass field I’ve seen.  When I played at Enlow Field back in the 1900s, it was shared by three local teams.  The middle of the field from the 20 to the 20 was dirt by the time October rolled around.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, Muda69 said:

So money + convenience trumps safety at our government schools.

Got it.

Not sure anywhere in my response I said that.

Simply observing that "grass" surfaces are not automatically "safer" than turf fields.  Which is what is being alluded to in much of these recent media reports about turf safety in the NFL.  

But read it to it what you are looking for....