Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Avengers

I'm not sure if this has been done in previous seasons, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like John Harrell has been keeping track of all the teams that avenged a regular season loss in the playoffs. So far there have been 17 playoff rematches with a different outcome than the regular season matchup. There's the old cliché that "It's hard to beat the same team twice" and while some roll their eyes at this I've always thought there was a lot of truth to it. We saw rematches go the other way last year with BD-Brownsburg, Northridge-NorthWood, and Michigin City-Valpo, I'm sure among others. Maybe if I have time later I'll try to go through and see the percentage of how many rematches got flipped this season. Just something I thought was interesting and wanted to point out.

image.png.1740ec49ca6a64dfe189875c01109c19.png

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 1

I buy in to the idea that it's hard to beat a team twice in a season when the initial score is tight ... kind of the law of averages.  But it's just amazing the swing on some of these games.  A couple of them make sense when you look at injury reports, but some are just head-scratchers like, how did Pike Central let Washington run up 41 points in the first game and shut out their offense and then turn around and limit Washington to a single TD?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I buy in to the idea that it's hard to beat a team twice in a season when the initial score is tight ... kind of the law of averages.  But it's just amazing the swing on some of these games.  A couple of them make sense when you look at injury reports, but some are just head-scratchers like, how did Pike Central let Washington run up 41 points in the first game and shut out their offense and then turn around and limit Washington to a single TD?

Yes, that's definitely the wildest part of it. There's a 27-point swing on average across these games. I think it just goes to show how a few plays can make a large difference in the score of a game between two evenly matched teams. If those teams play again you can then have the same effect for opposite team.