Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Proposal: Play Semi-State games on FRI & SAT

Here's a proposal to the IHSAA.

In today's wonderful world of technology which allows every Semi-State game to be broadcast on IHSAATV, why not play half of the games (2A,4A,6A) on Friday night & half of the games (1A,3A,5A) on Saturday? It seems like a win-win for all fans. More tickets would probably be sold (passionate HS football fans could attend multiple Semi-State games instead of having to choose one) along with more PPV purchases. Every state finalist would still have a full 7 days between their Semi-State game & the State championship game.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rodney said:

counter proposal

play semi state games friday AND saturday with a tie breaker on sunday

Not a bad idea. Then there would be football to watch on Sunday for those of us who don't watch the NFL. 

4 hours ago, slice60 said:

In today's wonderful world of technology which allows every Semi-State game to be broadcast on IHSAATV, why not play half of the games (2A,4A,6A) on Friday night & half of the games (1A,3A,5A) on Saturday? It seems like a win-win for all fans. More tickets would probably be sold (passionate HS football fans could attend multiple Semi-State games instead of having to choose one) along with more PPV purchases. Every state finalist would still have a full 7 days between their Semi-State game & the State championship game.

I had a Semi-State game at Mishawaka Marian (Brebeuf) that was stopped by a torrential lightning and rain storm for 3-4 hours.  We ended on Friday night at well past 1AM.  Forecast for Saturday was Thunderstorms and Rain ALL DAY, that also happened.  Perhaps we should remember that weather is a determining factor in stretching games beyond the Friday nights that are scheduled. 

Oh and BTW...Brebeuf made it clear they were NOT coming back on Saturday, as well as the Commissioner.  We WERE finishing the Friday night scheduled contest, come hell or high water.  No pun intended!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slice60 said:

Let’s forget about all the other scheduled activities for Saturday

Eh, good for those just following Indiana HS football. I like having Indiana on Friday and Ohio on Saturday if it works out that way. Don't forget college football on Saturdays as well for fans as well as officials. Sorta wish the IHSAA would make the 1-3A finals permanently on Friday instead of flopping back & forth or the notion of waiting to see where the participating schools are from.

23 hours ago, slice60 said:

Saturday is for college football. 

2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Eh, good for those just following Indiana HS football. I like having Indiana on Friday and Ohio on Saturday if it works out that way. Don't forget college football on Saturdays as well for fans as well as officials. Sorta wish the IHSAA would make the 1-3A finals permanently on Friday instead of flopping back & forth or the notion of waiting to see where the participating schools are from.

It's a little strange that the two biggest football "events" in Indiana are on the same day -- The Bucket Game and the HS State Finals. I'm not sure of a way around it though. I liked it better when IU-PU played during the semistate weekend.

2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

5 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

It's a little strange that the two biggest football "events" in Indiana are on the same day -- The Bucket Game and the HS State Finals. I'm not sure of a way around it though. I liked it better when IU-PU played during the semistate weekend.

I think folks are OK giving up one Saturday of college football for the state championships, but I wonder how two consecutive Saturdays would be met ... and this weekend before Thanksgiving definitely contains some of the make-or-break games in the college conferences and sometimes for the playoff considerations.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

I think folks are OK giving up one Saturday of college football for the state championships, but I wonder how two consecutive Saturdays would be met ... and this weekend before Thanksgiving definitely contains some of the make-or-break games in the college conferences and sometimes for the playoff considerations.

What do you mean "two consecutive Saturdays?"

Just now, hhpatriot04 said:

What do you mean "two consecutive Saturdays?"

If we're proposing some semi-state games on Saturday, then state championships would be the following Saturday.

26 minutes ago, foxbat said:

If we're proposing some semi-state games on Saturday, then state championships would be the following Saturday.

Why I would love 1-3A be together on Friday after Thanksgiving permanently. Don't follow programs in 4-6A and big Michigan fan. Plus the local OH HS teams usually play Saturday nights.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Play the IU-Purdue Game on Thursday Night. The only TV competition would be the Egg bowl and usually a bad NFL game.