Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Four Classes Are All Indiana Needs for Football

Teams 2A-3A and 3A-5A are way too similar competitively. Hear me out.

A: Smallest 32 or less schools

2A: Bottom half remaining (add a week to the tournament)

3A: Top half remaining (add a week to the tournament)

4A Largest 32 or less schools

That's it. Too many championships are being given out. The final rounds of these tournaments would be amazing. 

Prove me wrong.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

That's it. Too many championships are being given out. The final rounds of these tournaments would be amazing. 

Prove me wrong.

Interesting idea. And now that most other sports have 4 classes it's not out of line. 

For reference, that would be a cutoff of Tri West (#160) for the 2A/3A split. 

https://legacy.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/2022-23 2023-24/2022-23 2023-24 Football Alignment.pdf

And from a quick glance, Cathedral and Memorial are currently playing above their class in that scenario as well. 

26 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Prove me wrong.

That's a whole lot of *ss-kicking for some 1A schools.  That would potentially pit schools like Clinton Prairie against schools like Tri-West or Concordia.  While West Lafayette vs. Merrillville and Chatard vs. Whiteland certainly sounds intriguing, Peru vs. Snider sounds downright dangerous.

Convince me.

5 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's a whole lot of *ss-kicking for some 1A schools.  That would potentially pit schools like Clinton Prairie against schools like Tri-West or Concordia.  While West Lafayette vs. Merrillville and Chatard vs. Whiteland certainly sounds intriguing, Peru vs. Snider sounds downright dangerous.

Convince me.

Who cares about Class A?!? Give them a championship game every 3-4 years in this proposal!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Who cares about Class A?!? Give them a championship game every 3-4 years in this proposal!

I was talking about the 1A teams that get thrust up with those 3A teams.  The 1A that you propose, the bottom 32, would be likely be traded back and forth between Lutheran, Triton, and possibly Traders Point.  It's that upper range of 1A where things could be a bit dicier.  There are definitely some contenders that could survive ... have survived ... a 2A/3A mix like Pioneer, LCC, and possibly NJSP who has visited 2A before in the past and possibly Adams Central too.

Can someone briefly disclose the rationale for creation of 6A?  I think this dates back over 10 years now and had to do pretty much with the growth of the mega schools (i.e. significant number of schools above 3,000 enrollment).  I just have a feeling there is more to it than that...

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I was talking about the 1A teams that get thrust up with those 3A teams.  The 1A that you propose, the bottom 32, would be likely be traded back and forth between Lutheran, Triton, and possibly Traders Point.  It's that upper range of 1A where things could be a bit dicier.  There are definitely some contenders that could survive ... have survived ... a 2A/3A mix like Pioneer, LCC, and possibly NJSP who has visited 2A before in the past and possibly Adams Central too.

I'd even say other way. Lutheran already killing 1A....they still make bottom 32. What a blood bath

• Like 1

But those current 5A teams (excepting Snider) would likely still b!tch about the unfairness of it all…..now they’d likely have to play ALL those good current 4A school not just the 1 or 2 bumped up 4A schools.  

Imagine what the 5A playoffs look like now if New Pal, Roncalli, East Central, Columbus East, Dwenger and others were competing every year with the current batch of 5A schools.

I still see 5A as an orphan class that never should have been with only one legitimate consistent top 10-20 team year in and out - Snider.

14 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Can someone briefly disclose the rationale for creation of 6A?  I think this dates back over 10 years now and had to do pretty much with the growth of the mega schools (i.e. significant number of schools above 3,000 enrollment).  I just have a feeling there is more to it than that...

Bobby Cox's baby.

20 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

With the all in tournament, and keeping the end of the season at Thanksgiving, it was an absolute must. 64 teams in 5 classes was the max each could have. The only other options were to start the season a week earlier or eliminate another game. The plan had been developed as we crept closer to 320. Once we hit 321 teams playing, 6 classes had to happen, and did. I give Bobby Cox some credit with planning ahead, and knowing that just evenly dividing teams in 6 classes was not a good solution. 

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

With the all in tournament, and keeping the end of the season at Thanksgiving, it was an absolute must. 64 teams in 5 classes was the max each could have. The only other options were to start the season a week earlier or eliminate another game. The plan had been developed as we crept closer to 320. Once we hit 321 teams playing, 6 classes had to happen, and did. I give Bobby Cox some credit with planning ahead, and knowing that just evenly dividing teams in 6 classes was not a good solution. 

Now that the number of teams are down again should the IHSAA go back to 5 classes. 313 teams entered the football state tournament this year.

9 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Now that the number of teams are down again should the IHSAA go back to 5 classes. 313 teams entered the football state tournament this year.

Do we have any joining in coming years and wonder if we lose more to 8 man

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

That's a whole lot of *ss-kicking for some 1A schools.  That would potentially pit schools like Clinton Prairie against schools like Tri-West or Concordia.

I'd fully support this plan, so long as Lutheran is one of the 1A schools to get a shot at Concordia!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

I'd fully support this plan, so long as Lutheran is one of the 1A schools to get a shot at Concordia!

I'm surprised that Indy Lutheran and Corcordia don't meet up just for the heck of it during the season.  Probably generalizing here, but my son played soccer for a Lutheran school a couple of seasons a few years back.  There was a Lutheran soccer tournament ... matter of fact the last one he played in about four years ago was actually at LuHi.  There was a certain "chippyness" amongst the various Lutheran programs that I had not quite seen between other religious teams squaring off and there was one team that you would have thought was the Catholic school among public schools the way the other teams all gave them the "sideways glance" when they passed by. 😃

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'm surprised that Indy Lutheran and Corcordia don't meet up just for the heck of it during the season.  Probably generalizing here, but my son played soccer for a Lutheran school a couple of seasons a few years back.  There was a Lutheran soccer tournament ... matter of fact the last one he played in about four years ago was actually at LuHi.  There was a certain "chippyness" amongst the various Lutheran programs that I had not quite seen between other religious teams squaring off and there was one team that you would have thought was the Catholic school among public schools the way the other teams all gave them the "sideways glance" when they passed by. 😃

I'd be surprised if the two teams didn't reach out to one another when the SAC opened up for business out of conference. My guess is that Indy Lutheran didn't have an opening in Weeks 1 & 2. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I'd be surprised if the two teams didn't reach out to one another when the SAC opened up for business out of conference. My guess is that Indy Lutheran didn't have an opening in Weeks 1 & 2. 

LuHi's pretty much played TPC since for the past half decade and bounced around on the second open-game.  That second bouncing game might be worth a look.

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

LuHi's pretty much played TPC since for the past half decade and bounced around on the second open-game.  That second bouncing game might be worth a look.

Concordia has Scecina and Eastbrook booked for the next two years. 

10 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think this is likely what happened.  Lutheran has had conference games against Beech Grove and Ritter in weeks 1 & 2 for at least a decade.