Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A: Carroll vs Center Grove

33 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I like the FW Carroll team and how hard they play. I personally think HSE is not undefeated if Brownsburg's QB is healthy and plays the second half as I feel Brownsburg would have beat them by at least 2 TD's (that is just a personal opinion). The one glaring thing that makes it tough for me to not say CG dominates this game is Lafayette Jefferson. Carroll won 21-20 (were on the brink of losing that). Lafayette Jefferson was pretty much dismantled and blown out by Cathedral. With a terrific Cathedral offense and at the time (week 1) a weak but learning Cathedral defense (they were 100% better by the time they played Semi-State, but were shaky in the first 3 weeks with 9 new starters).

If Carroll only threw up 21 points against Lafayette Jeff (understanding teams improve so did CG) and allowed 20 points against Lafayette Jeff. It doesn't look good when you have to play a team like Center Grove who will be solid Offensively and defensively. I could be totally wrong and Carroll could come out and lay the smack down, if that happens I will eat every bit of that crow. I thing CG wins very easily, if any team was going to knock CG off it was going to be Cathedral.

If you're going to continue bringing up the close game with Jeff and the fact that Jeff got clobbered by Cathedral, then it's only fair to bring up the fact that Carroll manhandled Penn whereas Cathedral struggled. 

Another example would be Center Grove's close call with Franklin Central in the sectionals. Sagarin has Jeff and FC neck and neck, with Jeff three places higher. 

You're better off just saying Center Grove is better "just because." There are no good examples.

Temp is making the most sense in giving CG the benefit of the doubt based on 'been there done that.' 

What about HSE's last two victories? They beat very good teams in Fisher's and Westfield by 22 and 20 respectively. Brownsburg beat Fishers and Westfield by 13 and 17. Again............"CG is better than Carroll just because," has as much merit as anything that I've heard or read. 

My prediction: Center Grove. Just because they are Center Grove. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

If you're going to continue bringing up the close game with Jeff and the fact that Jeff got clobbered by Cathedral, then it's only fair to bring up the fact that Carroll manhandled Penn whereas Cathedral struggled. 

Another example would be Center Grove's close call with Franklin Central in the sectionals. Sagarin has Jeff and FC neck and neck, with Jeff three places higher. 

You're better off just saying Center Grove is better "just because." There are no good examples.

Temp is making the most sense in giving CG the benefit of the doubt based on 'been there done that.' 

What about HSE's last two victories? They beat very good teams in Fisher's and Westfield by 22 and 20 respectively. Brownsburg beat Fishers and Westfield by 13 and 17. Again............"CG is better than Carroll just because," has as much merit as anything that I've heard or read. 

My prediction: Center Grove. Just because they are Center Grove. 

Cathedral struggled with Penn for 1 half (missing several players like their top TE (Wooten) and RB (Johnson) who just ran for 226 yards against CG). Cathedral still dismantled Penn 35-21. Jefferson vs Cathedral and Jefferson vs Carroll both teams were healthy. The Final score of Carroll vs Jeff 21-20 and Jeff had the ball 3rd and goal from the 2 in the middle of the 4th, and then even got another shot. The Penn Cathedral game was never in doubt in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't compare the two games. Regardless nothing will change my sentiment. Carroll has had a great season and just getting to Lucas Oil Stadium is a great feat and neat experience for their players. When the ball is kicked on Friday night though they will be in for a tough night. They will battle but will be overmatched.

As far as HSE's last 2 victories over Westfield and Fishers being close. #1 Fishers and HSE is a huge rivalry game, Fisher's is the split off from HSE growing too big that they had to make 2 High Schools. Westfield is in their conference they see both these teams EVERY year in the regular season. Of course I would expect it to be close tight games.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Cathedral struggled with Penn for 1 half (missing several players like their top TE (Wooten) and RB (Johnson) who just ran for 226 yards against CG). Cathedral still dismantled Penn 35-21. Jefferson vs Cathedral and Jefferson vs Carroll both teams were healthy. The Final score of Carroll vs Jeff 21-20 and Jeff had the ball 3rd and goal from the 2 in the middle of the 4th, and then even got another shot. The Penn Cathedral game was never in doubt in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't compare the two games. Regardless nothing will change my sentiment. Carroll has had a great season and just getting to Lucas Oil Stadium is a great feat and neat experience for their players. When the ball is kicked on Friday night though they will be in for a tough night. They will battle but will be overmatched.

As far as HSE's last 2 victories over Westfield and Fishers being close. #1 Fishers and HSE is a huge rivalry game, Fisher's is the split off from HSE growing too big that they had to make 2 High Schools. Westfield is in their conference they see both these teams EVERY year in the regular season. Of course I would expect it to be close tight games.

You're probably right. It will be a neat experience for the Carroll players and coaches. Let's just hope they don't get blown out. 

I do not necessarily think Carroll is going to win this game, but to all the "naysayers" in these comments that are continuing to point back to the Lafayette Jeff game in the Regionals, you all realize you're cherry picking one game right? Teams can have "off" games as we all should know by now. I look back to this weekend in college football for two prime examples.

Baylor lost 31-3 two weeks ago against Kansas State - and then almost beat an undefeated TCU team this week. If everyone was holding that Kansas State game against the Bears, instead of seeing it as a potential off game, no one would have given them a shot against the Horned Frogs.

South Carolina lost 38-6 two weeks ago against Florida... then puts up 63 points in their smack down of Tennesee this week. Who saw that coming after their terrible performance against the Gators?

Point being - if the reasoning you are using to doubt Carroll is because of their 21-20 victory on the road in the Regionals against a team that was 9-2, I would find another angle.

I see this game being a low-ish scoring affair. The Chargers have a STOUT defense (only giving up 9.8 ppg this year) which held Lafayette Jeff to their lowest point total all season, and HSE to their second lowest point total all season. But Center Grove is a well oiled machine, and has been there, done that exeperience on their side.

Center Grove wins 24-20

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Point being - if the reasoning you are using to doubt Carroll is because of their 21-20 victory on the road in the Regionals against a team that was 9-2, I would find another angle.

I too think it's a little bizarre that the Jeff game keeps getting brought up. There is no such thing as a team at any level at any sport being at the top of their game every time they play. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I do not necessarily think Carroll is going to win this game, but to all the "naysayers" in these comments that are continuing to point back to the Lafayette Jeff game in the Regionals, you all realize you're cherry picking one game right? Teams can have "off" games as we all should know by now. I look back to this weekend in college football for two prime examples.

Baylor lost 31-3 two weeks ago against Kansas State - and then almost beat an undefeated TCU team this week. If everyone was holding that Kansas State game against the Bears, instead of seeing it as a potential off game, no one would have given them a shot against the Horned Frogs.

South Carolina lost 38-6 two weeks ago against Florida... then puts up 63 points in their smack down of Tennesee this week. Who saw that coming after their terrible performance against the Gators?

I see this game being a low-ish scoring affair. The Chargers have a STOUT defense (only giving up 9.8 ppg this year) which held Lafayette Jeff to their lowest point total all season, and HSE to their second lowest point total all season. But Center Grove is a well oiled machine, and has been there, done that exeperience on their side.

Center Grove wins 24-20

FW Carroll did not hold Lafayette Jeff to their lowest point total all season. Jeff scored 20 points against Carroll, Cathedral held Jeff to 12 points.

image.png.f46ce50e7fe027aff6ffee98c65e1f51.png

I can be called a naysayer and will accept that. I fully believe Center Grove will beat Carroll rather easily, Carroll will battle but CG will overmatch them physically and with experience. I may be wrong who knows and I will eat my crow if I am.

So Carroll beats the #1 team in the state, HSE, in a game they controlled throughout, yet Center Grove is going to manhandle Carroll? Not following the logic here. CG may very well win this game, as almost every person predicted that HSE would beat Carroll, but give some respect to Carroll. They aren’t scrubs and beat a 6A powerhouse in convincing fashion.

• Like 2

Just one man's opinion, but I put very little stock in outcomes of previous games.  The playoffs are all about winning one game at a time...just win...anyway a team can, and winning in different ways truly shows a team strength.  Bottom line, Carroll is in the state championship game...they must be pretty darn good....darn good.  Their win over HSE is flat out impressive.

I do put a little more stock in schedule strength.  If you compare the 2 teams, CG has the advantage of playing tougher opponents.  I hope that matters when "push comes to shove". CG won't be impacted of playing at Lucas....been there 6 of the last 8 years.  Does that matter after the kickoff...probably not much.  But hope that is a slight advantage for CG.

Prediction:  Slobberknocker.  Let's hope all the kids stay as healthy as possible this week and during the game friday night.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grover said:

It's cool that so many people think CG is going to dogwalk Carroll but I'm pretty sure last week this board very heavily predicted Cathedral and HSE to win.  

Absolutely true and as impressive as Carroll's breakthrough win over HSE was, CG manhandling Cathedral was eye opening and twice as impressive.

I've maintained since the summer months that I thought Cathedral was the most talented team in the state and I still believe that.  They were dominated by Center Grove this season for 6+ quarters.  That is saying something.

Edited by temptation

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

Absolutely true and as impressive as Carroll's breakthrough win over HSE was, CG manhandling Cathedral was eye opening and twice as impressive.

I've maintained since the summer months that I thought Cathedral was the most talented team in the state and I still believe that.  They were dominated by Center Grove this season for 6+ quarters.  That is saying something.

Cathedral was really fortunate to win the first meeting. Center Grove had a very uncharacteristic 6 minutes of relegation or else they're still undefeated against Indiana teams going into their third consecutive state final. I still think Center Grove, Cathedral, and Brownsburg were the three best 6A teams I've seen this year but Carroll has a chance to join that discussion with a win next week. 

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral was really fortunate to win the first meeting. Center Grove had a very uncharacteristic 6 minutes of relegation or else they're still undefeated against Indiana teams going into their third consecutive state final. I still think Center Grove, Cathedral, and Brownsburg were the three best 6A teams I've seen this year but Carroll has a chance to join that discussion with a win next week. 

I give up. That's like me saying HSE would finish 4th in the SAC.

Edited by BTF

25 minutes ago, BTF said:

I give up. That's like me saying HSE would finish 4th in the SAC.

All he is saying is that when those three teams are at their best, they are his top three teams.

Obviously these are high school kids (hell NFL teams are inconsistent ) and no one plays at the top of their game every Friday night.

Stop getting so offended and playing the disrespect card.

Few, if anyone believes that Carroll has a shot this weekend if CG plays their “A game.”

It’ll take Carroll’s A game and CG’s B/C game (which Carroll CAN contribute to) for the Chargers to win.  

(You’ve basically admitted this yourself in different terms.) 

3 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

So Carroll beats the #1 team in the state, HSE, in a game they controlled throughout, yet Center Grove is going to manhandle Carroll? Not following the logic here. CG may very well win this game, as almost every person predicted that HSE would beat Carroll, but give some respect to Carroll. They aren’t scrubs and beat a 6A powerhouse in convincing fashion.

Well said sir.

Going with the underdog/FW homer pick.  Carroll 28-24.

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I normally just stick to reading on this board.  But this is not factual at all.  Our team was much different as it relates to personnel from Week 1 vs. Week 12.  Without a doubt, playing Cathedral Week 1 exposed areas where we had to drastically improve in order to be playing good football come November.  Congrats to both Carroll and Center Grove on great seasons.  Looking forward to a great match-up on Friday. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

All he is saying is that when those three teams are at their best, they are his top three teams.

Obviously these are high school kids (hell NFL teams are inconsistent ) and no one plays at the top of their game every Friday night.

Stop getting so offended and playing the disrespect card.

Few, if anyone believes that Carroll has a shot this weekend if CG plays their “A game.”

It’ll take Carroll’s A game and CG’s B/C game (which Carroll CAN contribute to) for the Chargers to win.  

(You’ve basically admitted this yourself in different terms.) 

Starting to sound like one of the guys Temp. Not the unbiased Indy poster I've been giving you credit for. It doesn't matter that Carroll crushed Penn or beat the #1 team in the state. Now they have to beat Center Grove to be considered Top 3. I'm not offended. I just like calling out Indy bullshit. 

Self-imposed warning point: 1

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CoachShanley said:

I normally just stick to reading on this board.  But this is not factual at all.  Our team was much different as it relates to personnel from Week 1 vs. Week 12.  Without a doubt, playing Cathedral Week 1 exposed areas where we had to drastically improve in order to be playing good football come November.  Congrats to both Carroll and Center Grove on great seasons.  Looking forward to a great match-up on Friday. 

What was not factual about my statement: "Jefferson vs Cathedral and Jefferson vs Carroll both teams were healthy Both teams were healthy in the games. I didn't mention anything about the personnel changes. Many teams are playing some different personnel come playoffs after finding areas to improve on. I only made the statement the teams were healthy, something that Cathedral was not against Penn having 2 key players down.

4 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Yes HSE was the number 1 team in the State via rankings after beating Brownsburg 31-28. Brownsburg had a 28-14 lead at halftime, Brownsburg's star QB Whitaker was injured shortly before halftime and did not play the 2nd half. Brownsburg did not score in the 2nd half as a direct result, and HSE came back and won the game. If it makes you feel any better I would have the same sentiment if HSE were playing Center Grove in the State Finals instead of Carroll after what CG did to Cathedral.

22 minutes ago, BTF said:

Starting to sound like one of the guys Temp. Not the unbiased Indy poster I've been giving you credit for. It doesn't matter that Carroll crushed Penn or beat the #1 team in the state. Now they have to beat Center Grove to be considered Top 3. I'm not offended. I just like calling out Indy bullshit. 

Guilty then.

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

woah woah woah you can't just self impose like that, you have to wait to have your comment deleted.

29 minutes ago, BTF said:

Its like the anti-MIC/HCC crowd that claims that teams like New Pal could waltz in and compete on a week in/week out basis based on how they played during 1-2 weeks of the season.

Last Friday was the first time Carroll was a honest/decisive underdog on paper all season and I’m betting they had a chip on their shoulder…and they probably should have.

Can you have a chip two weeks in a row?  Sure.  

But Carroll having to play CG/Brownsburg’s schedule sure as hell is not undefeated.

(Yeah, I said it.)

Doesn’t mean they can’t beat them in a one game scenario though.