Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A: Carroll vs Center Grove

Some interesting stats
Both first year starting QBs a Junior and Sophomore. I was surprised how close their stats are.
CG
T. Cherry(Jr)   YDS 2124  c% 0.649   Y/G 163.4
Carroll
J. Sullivan(So)  YDS 2203 c% 0.648  Y/G 169.5 

Overall running game, I give the edge to CG they have an awesome one two punch. But Carroll QB has the better running QB.
CG                      YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Coyle(Sr)            1941    6.9    149.3    21
Thomeson(Sr)    954    6.2    79.5    9

Carrol           YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Starks(So)    1134   6.4     87.2    7
Steely(Jr)      482    7.0     37.1    13
Sullivan(So)   182    2.4     14.0    9
Passing game, I say is a toss-up. CG has the leading receiving yards player, but Carroll distributes the ball around more.
CG              YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Coy(Jr)       1081   19.0     83.2    13
Hohlt(Sr)     227    15.1     25.2    3
Wright(Sr)    220   12.9    18.3    0

Carroll                           YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
C. Herschberger(Sr)    737      12.9    56.7    7
H. Haffner(Jr)              479    12.9    36.8    10
J. Hill(Sr)                      472    14.3    42.9    4

So, looking at stats from only the offense side of the game I give a slight edge to CG. 

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Can you give me a reason why you wouldn't hear that? If you look at 6A and 5A (it has been dominated by Indy area schools). Sucks to look at for those outside of Indy area schools but it is the truth.

Why do Indy schools dominate 6A in your opinion?

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

Are we really doing this again?  This subject has been discussed on here ad nauseam.

Ask your boys from Indy why they keep bringing it up. So yes, I want to hear his answer.

Edited by BTF

59 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Some interesting stats
Both first year starting QBs a Junior and Sophomore. I was surprised how close their stats are.

. . .

So, looking at stats from only the offense side of the game I give a slight edge to CG. 

I looked at the stats of the two teams and, other than rushing yards, they are extremely close. However, it should be noted that Carroll didn't play a full 6A schedule and Center Grove did, and so Carroll stats may be not be on the par as the Trojans.

Still, I have watched most of Carroll's games over the last 15 years and I this team has more talent across the board than previous squads, and that's without having a returner all-state LB in the lineup. Plus, they are playing for a fallen teammate and I believe that they are staying focused because of that purpose and will be well-prepared for Friday's game. Center Grove is very talented and the fact that their kids have played in state final games at LOS over the past several years gives them an advantage. Still, the Chargers have been playing all season long for #13 and the fact that they are 13-0 and made it this far is a great story, but I think they can play another inspirational game. You'll see plenty of orange in the stands to honor #OwenStrong.

I'm picking Carroll 27-21.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Why do Indy schools dominate 6A in your opinion?

This has been discussed more times than I can count since being a part of the GID dating back to the oldest format with TA at the helm (6A prior to that 5A). There are many factors (not just one) as an answer to that. I didn't bring anything up just asked a simple question. Look I'm sorry you and others are aggravated by my opinion that Center Grove will beat FW Carroll. I am entitled to that opinion and stand by it. If they don't then I will eat my crow. Nothing you or any one else post will change my opinion. 

Gameday is Friday we will soon find out. 

Edited by FastpacedO

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Some interesting stats
CG
T. Cherry(Jr)   YDS 2124  c% 0.649   Y/G 163.4
Carroll
J. Sullivan(So)  YDS 2203 c% 0.648  Y/G 169.5 

Overall running game, I give the edge to CG they have an awesome one two punch. But Carroll QB has the better running QB.
CG                      YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Coyle(Sr)            1941    6.9    149.3    21
Thomeson(Sr)    954    6.2    79.5    9

Carrol           YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Starks(So)    1134   6.4     87.2    7
Steely(Jr)      482    7.0     37.1    13
Sullivan(So)   182    2.4     14.0    9
Passing game, I say is a toss-up. CG has the leading receiving yards player, but Carroll distributes the ball around more.
CG              YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
Coy(Jr)       1081   19.0     83.2    13
Hohlt(Sr)     227    15.1     25.2    3
Wright(Sr)    220   12.9    18.3    0

Carroll                           YDS    AVG    Y/G    TD
C. Herschberger(Sr)    737      12.9    56.7    7
H. Haffner(Jr)              479    12.9    36.8    10
J. Hill(Sr)                      472    14.3    42.9    4

Flawed comparison and you know it.

28 minutes ago, FW HS Football said:

I looked at the stats of the two teams and, other than rushing yards, they are extremely close. However, it should be noted that Carroll didn't play a full 6A schedule and Center Grove did, and so Carroll stats may be not be on the par as the Trojans.

Still, I have watched most of Carroll's games over the last 15 years and I this team has more talent across the board than previous squads, and that's without having a returner all-state LB in the lineup. Plus, they are playing for a fallen teammate and I believe that they are staying focused because of that purpose and will be well-prepared for Friday's game. Center Grove is very talented and the fact that their kids have played in state final games at LOS over the past several years gives them an advantage. Still, the Chargers have been playing all season long for #13 and the fact that they are 13-0 and made it this far is a great story, but I think they can play another inspirational game. You'll see plenty of orange in the stands to honor #OwenStrong.

I'm picking Carroll 27-21.

So you are basing your pick on focus and purpose huh?

Bold.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Bold.

Sometimes, having a purpose to play for will get a team through a game or two, when facing a better teams. I think that Friday's game might not be too big for Carroll. Unlike many underdogs playing in their first championship game that might look around and see the bright lights of LOS and not being ready to play. The Charges will have a section of stadium wearing orange (not the Chargers' colors by the way) to remind them they have one more game to play, not only for themselves, but for #13.

Just my take. I've seen many games with inspirational stories end up being lopsided losses, too. Hoping for a Carroll win.

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

Bold.

Nope, I did not pick cg to win. I just stated that IMO  stats gives CG  an offensive edge. 

I leaning towards Carroll on the defense side of the ball. CG pass defense has ben bad often this season give up 325+ yards i think 4 times. First game against Cathedral CG gave up 400 passing yards.

As who going to win I have no clue.

29 minutes ago, FW HS Football said:

Sometimes, having a purpose to play for will get a team through a game or two, when facing a better teams. I think that Friday's game might not be too big for Carroll. Unlike many underdogs playing in their first championship game that might look around and see the bright lights of LOS and not being ready to play. The Charges will have a section of stadium wearing orange (not the Chargers' colors by the way) to remind them they have one more game to play, not only for themselves, but for #13.

Just my take. I've seen many games with inspirational stories end up being lopsided losses, too. Hoping for a Carroll win.

Does CG have a purpose?

Taking nothing away from the story of the young man and not trying to sound insensitive but that sort of stuff is great for articles and stories leading up to the game but once the game kicks off becomes completely irrelevant. 

Edited by temptation

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

Does CG have a purpose?

Taking nothing away from the story of the young man and not trying to sound insensitive but that sort of stuff is great for articles and stories leading up to the game but once the game kicks off becomes completely irrelevant. 

Completely? C'mon

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

This has been discussed more times than I can count since being a part of the GID dating back to the oldest format with TA at the helm (6A prior to that 5A). There are many factors (not just one) as an answer to that. I didn't bring anything up just asked a simple question. Look I'm sorry you and others are aggravated by my opinion that Center Grove will beat FW Carroll. I am entitled to that opinion and stand by it. If they don't then I will eat my crow. Nothing you or any one else post will change my opinion. 

Gameday is Friday we will soon find out. 

You and 75% of all the other posters are taking CG. Probably a smart pick. Damn, they're Center Grove. Sounds like an easy pick to me. I just find it hilarious that you guys continue to point out that football is "better" in Indy. The Indy burbs has some of the best football (with obvious advantages) in the state. Indy proper has some of the worst. It's a wash. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

You and 75% of all the other posters are taking CG. Probably a smart pick. Damn, they're Center Grove. Sounds like an easy pick to me. I just find it hilarious that you guys continue to point out that football is "better" in Indy. The Indy burbs has some of the best football (with obvious advantages) in the state. Indy proper has some of the worst. It's a wash. 

It was 100% of the Grid last week vs HSE… Progress has been made…

“ I just find it hilarious that you guys continue to point out that football is "better" in Indy. The Indy burbs has some of the best football (with obvious advantages) in the state. Indy proper has some of the worst. It's a wash.”

Are you really using IPS schools now in your judgement of Indy football?

I’ve been as critical/outspoken of the MIC 6 as anyone on here but don’t lump Tech, Shortridge and Tindley in with Warren, BD, LC, and LN.

You look foolish.

One damn win by Carroll and you are sweating some sort of arrogance mixed with fake disrespect.

And I like you.

Edited by temptation

13 hours ago, BTF said:

By Indy proper you must mean IPS. Yes IPS is terrible busing many years ago killed IPS being competitive in football as athletes were being bused to Township schools outside 465. Indianapolis still has great football teams inside 465. Cathedral, Chatard, Brebeuf, Heritage Christian, and Speedway are all inside Indianapolis or Indy Proper. 

There is a good history with IPS in the past. The last really good IPS was around 1999 with Arlington High School who went 11-2 (see below). Washington, Howe, Arsenal Tech all had a rich history in football. Washington dies off after Coach Springer retired (McGinnis and Downing weren't only great basketball players but also great football players). So yes IPS is now terrible but not all of the Indy proper is terrible. I asked a simple question and you took it to the max, that's on you.

image.png.3e89fc6cd44015622050b185404936ea.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Does CG have a purpose?

Maybe you should say , In My Opinion completely irrelevant . 

50 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Maybe you should say , In My Opinion completely irrelevant . 

I was being polite for a change…and it’s not an opinion.

If you can point to concrete evidence of a team ever winning a game due to an extra “purpose” or “12th man”, I’d love to see it.

(Don’t make me create another spreadsheet.)

1 minute ago, temptation said:

I was being polite for a change…and it’s not an opinion.

If you can point to concrete evidence of a team ever winning a game due to an extra “purpose” or “12th man”, I’d love to see it.

(Don’t make me create another spreadsheet.)

Can you point to concrete evidence that suggest a team didn't win because they had extra "purpose" ? It goes both ways . There is no evidence either way , that's why it's an opinion . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Can you point to concrete evidence that suggest a team didn't win because they had extra "purpose" ? It goes both ways . There is no evidence either way , that's why it's an opinion . 

LOL.  Yes.  Just like “travel” being cited as a major reason for road teams losing big games, an “extra purpose” is WAY down the list when it comes to important factors once the game is kicked off.

I’ve never seen Jesus wearing a head set or holding a clipboard and until I do, my “opinion” trumps yours.

2 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Temp , do you need some sort of evidence , data , stat sheets and spreadsheets for possibly anything to be true ? Just asking . WOW

I believe college English professors refer to this as “supporting evidence” and a works cited page.

Edited by temptation

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Can't read the story and won't. It's subscription only. I won't support any newspaper that clearly leans one direction politically. No different than FW newspapers. Those running the newspapers aren't smart enough to understand 'don't mix politics with business.'

I think I get your point by looking at the title of the link. In most cases, every team has a story, some more powerful than others. 

10 hours ago, temptation said:

One damn win by Carroll and you are sweating some sort of arrogance mixed with fake disrespect.

Elaborate please. Thanks