Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso vs Whiteland

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t see your point.

PM me if want clarification. Trying to keep the focus here exclusively on Valpo and HSE.

No way I'm going to make a prediction on this game. I'll just roll with Sagarin's 8 point suggestion. I haven't seen the first clip on Whiteland. 

On 11/19/2022 at 7:19 AM, Bobref said:

Has Bill Marshall separated himself from the other Duneland coaches?

He has the wins to prove it, I say yes. They have cycled through a class of players and when go back to his first full year, look at how Valpo has performed, a great run. Talked about this at the beginning of the year that Valpo had the best staff in the conference and it starts with him. They keep it simple on offense and defense, same basic four man front and guarantee they will go wildcat or qb power if the game is close or they have a lead.

This staff is battle tested. For the first time since Disco Fever🪩 the DAC has a legit chance at championship (excluding Hobart-former member)

• Like 1

Today's the day.  After many years of watching numerous practices and attending many games at Whiteland seeing past teams chipping at the rock I believe the current team will not only "Break the Rock" but shatter it.  Good luck today Warriors!

WHAITELAND  35

VALPO.              10

BREAK THE ROCK !!!!!

1758448_dlGmWTXmettW3HpwyEdFqzLRpOfpCznM4Mm0LaJ6mLI.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wdjohnson said:

Today's the day.  After many years of watching numerous practices and attending many games at Whiteland seeing past teams chipping at the rock I believe the current team will not only "Break the Rock" but shatter it.  Good luck today Warriors!

WHAITELAND  35

VALPO.              10

BREAK THE ROCK !!!!!

1758448_dlGmWTXmettW3HpwyEdFqzLRpOfpCznM4Mm0LaJ6mLI.jpg

Where the hell have you been? Lol  felt like I haven’t seen you in forever! Hope you have been well, and good luck to the warriors.  

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

The Duneland: the PREMIER 5A football conference in Indiana 

Jokes aside, great job by both teams, great game, shame anyone had to lose as they say. Congrats to Valpo for bringing the 5A title back to the Region. 

Man, it’s been since 1993 when I was in the stands at the RCA Dome to watch Hobart beat East Central that I’ve seen a Duneland team win a football Title. Fealt good to finally see it again. 

Dare I say there are a lot of similarities between Marshall and Hobart legend Don Howell? Feels like Marshall is playing “Howell”  ball with modern day formations. Smart, disciplined, and physical football that’ll be won on the lines. And running counters and off tackle non stop. Just wild to see for me. Whiteland brought an all out onslaught early on and Valpo didn't flinch. Just went to work methodically and took the lead back. How about Whiteland? The fought and battled in similar fashion. Two tough teams battling to the final plays. Love seeing it. Valpo returns about 19 starters. They were clearly a better team with #9 healthy. 

what an electric night in Lucas Oil.    My dad is a Valpo grad 1969, so we took in the weekend down in Indy with that being the final event, he had a blast and a tremendous game both sides

Backfield for Valpo is troublesome both are coming back I think 

Just think if the Clark family didn't move from Rensselaer mid 90s!!!   Mr. Don Clark was a coach and middle school teacher, then moved north to Valpo when Don Clark JR went on to his D1 offer at Air Force, now Don Jr son, Justin is BMOC and making plays!!!   Good Stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

what an electric night in Lucas Oil.    My dad is a Valpo grad 1969, so we took in the weekend down in Indy with that being the final event, he had a blast and a tremendous game both sides

Backfield for Valpo is troublesome both are coming back I think 

Just think if the Clark family didn't move from Rensselaer mid 90s!!!   Mr. Don Clark was a coach and middle school teacher, then moved north to Valpo when Don Clark JR went on to his D1 offer at Air Force, now Don Jr son, Justin is BMOC and making plays!!!   Good Stuff 

Congrats Valpo. It was a long time coming for a historically good program. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gindie said:

Their last championship was in '75, the last year of the original playoff setup, only 3 classes and 4 teams per class.  

Not many programs can say that their success is spanning into it's sixth decade. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:36 PM, Boilernation said:

Man, it’s been since 1993 when I was in the stands at the RCA Dome to watch Hobart beat East Central that I’ve seen a Duneland team win a football Title. Fealt good to finally see it again. 

Dare I say there are a lot of similarities between Marshall and Hobart legend Don Howell? Feels like Marshall is playing “Howell”  ball with modern day formations. Smart, disciplined, and physical football that’ll be won on the lines. And running counters and off tackle non stop. Just wild to see for me. Whiteland brought an all out onslaught early on and Valpo didn't flinch. Just went to work methodically and took the lead back. How about Whiteland? The fought and battled in similar fashion. Two tough teams battling to the final plays. Love seeing it. Valpo returns about 19 starters. They were clearly a better team with #9 healthy. 

Howell was a little before my time, so it's hard for me to say. But Marshall has taken the Valpo program back to the heights it was at during Hoffman's tenure after it fell off a bit in the years proceeding the legendary coach's retirement. He knows that he'll always have big, physical lines and he takes advantage of that and has built the team around that. Their power spread offense and 4-man front defense are perfect for the personnel they have. I thought they were in serious trouble when they practically started the game down 10-0 but credit to their staff and kids for staying composed and keeping chopping. But really they did that all tournament. Everyone talks about Davis coming back from injury, and he was obviously a huge lift in the playoffs, but he didn't get hurt until Week 4. Clark coming in for the injured Ian Wilson against MC ended up being just as impact as Davis's return when it was all said and done. Not only for the fact that Clark ended up being a 1000 yard passer and runner, but also that Wilson ended up coming back and making huge contributions as a receiver. He caught a 4th down TD vs Merrillville, and then both the 3rd & 18 and 3rd & 12 completions on the game-winning drive in State. That's a testament to that young man - to lose your job to injury but to then come back and change positions and still make a giant impact. I've said on this forum before that while running is king, in big games you will almost assuredly be forced to make some plays in the passing game. Valpo's 2018 and 2019 teams were significantly better than this one, but what set this team apart was the fact that they made huge plays in the passing game every time they needed to throughout the tournament. Like you said, they've got a lot coming back too. But at this point I think no matter how much Valpo brings back they'll always have to be considered a threat. I mean this year they brought back almost no one, and we saw where they ended the season.