Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A: New Prairie vs East Central

Honestly can't believe NP found a way win that one last night. The football gods made up for NP giving away their trip to state last year against NR in the last 4 minutes. 

East Central I'm sure will be favored by every metric and person and that's fine and warranted. People have been talking about the south and New Pal, Roncalli, and EC all year that whoever represented would boat race the north. But I'll tell you what, Kokomo was a LOT tougher than I thought going in. Big, physical, and fast kids all over the place. Kind of a weird game in the sense that while Kokomo controlled the pace of the game all day, NP did have 2 blown opportunities to put 14 more points on the board. And outside of 1 real long run to start the game for Kokomo, the NP defense was able to shut down the high scoring wildkats. Honestly I think this kind of game is exactly what NP needed to get ready for this upcoming week; we haven't played a close game all year. 

So for those of us not to familiar with East Central at all can someone give a little history of the school, town, location, program history, any fun fact?

I'll start with NP for you EC fans. The 2 towns that feed into New Prairie are NEW Carlisle and Rolling PRAIRIE. New Carlisle has a population of about 1,800 with Rolling only having close to 600 residents. There are a few other small communities (Hudson Lake, Mill Creek, Saugany Lake, and a lot of farm land) that feed into the school that make it what it is today. We are touching the Michigan border to the north and are sandwiched in-between South Bend to the east and Laporte/"Da Region" to the west. The New Carlisle community at their core is a football town and had real good history up until the NP consolidation in 1968. NP was pretty average for the first 30 years of football until hall of famer Bart Curtis took over in the late 90s, another Hall of famer in Russ Radtke elevated the program to new heights starting back in 2012 and now coach McKim in his 3rd year has continued to keep the cougars playing at a very high level (and possibly a level never reached before). One interesting fact about NP, is the town of New Carlisle is in the eastern time zone while the school and Rolling Prairie are in the central time zone. You can hear people ask "School time or town time?" with just about every event, gathering, game, etc. 

11 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

So for those of us not to familiar with East Central at all can someone give a little history of the school, town, location, program history, any fun fact?

I'll start with NP for you EC fans. The 2 towns that feed into New Prairie are NEW Carlisle and Rolling PRAIRIE. New Carlisle has a population of about 1,800 with Rolling only having close to 600 residents. There are a few other small communities (Hudson Lake, Mill Creek, Saugany Lake, and a lot of farm land) that feed into the school that make it what it is today. We are touching the Michigan border to the north and are sandwiched in-between South Bend to the east and Laporte/"Da Region" to the west. The New Carlisle community at their core is a football town and had real good history up until the NP consolidation in 1968. NP was pretty average for the first 30 years of football until hall of famer Bart Curtis took over in the late 90s, another Hall of famer in Russ Radtke elevated the program to new heights starting back in 2012 and now coach McKim in his 3rd year has continued to keep the cougars playing at a very high level (and possibly a level never reached before). One interesting fact about NP, is the town of New Carlisle is in the eastern time zone while the school and Rolling Prairie are in the central time zone. You can hear people ask "School time or town time?" with just about every event, gathering, game, etc. 

East central is famous for inventing the hot dog

the preferred sport of the town is actually not football, it has a massive secret underground badminton following that has been going on for generations

The town is located in east central Iowa and they fly the players into some place in Eastern Indiana daily, in order to play football here.

The town itself has a rich and storied history dating all the way back to 2009 when it was invaded by the Turks (this is why EC culturally is so heavily influenced by turkey)

speaking of turkey, there is a law banning the eating of the animal in city limits, due to some ancient myth about bad luck.

that is all I know of EC as most of the information is heavily guarded.

Edited by Rodney
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2022 at 1:21 PM, npcougar15 said:

East Central is 2-0 in State Finals appearances 2017 14-7 over Lowell, 1994 35-0 over Dekalb. Offensively they have 2 terrific RB's in Ringer and Brotherton (both Juniors). IMHO Ringer will be the best athlete on the field between the 2 teams. While the offense is very good the defense is spectacular too. New Prairie has their work cut out for them on both sides of the ball. I look for a 31-14 or 35-14 type of game in favor of East Central.

8 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

East Central is 2-0 in State Finals appearances 2017 14-7 over Lowell, 1994 35-0 over Dekalb. Offensively they have 2 terrific RB's in Ringer and Brotherton (both Juniors). IMHO Ringer will be the best athlete on the field between the 2 teams. While the offense is very good the defense is spectacular too. New Prairie has their work cut out for them on both sides of the ball. I look for a 31-14 or 35-14 type of game in favor of East Central.

This is incorrect…

They are 2-2.  Losing in 93 (to a great Brickie team) and in 15 (Dwenger).  

On 11/21/2022 at 1:21 PM, npcougar15 said:

I'll start with NP for you EC fans. The 2 towns that feed into New Prairie are NEW Carlisle and Rolling PRAIRIE. 

If I recall correctly, wasn't New Prairie the home of Amzie Miller, who was one of the strongest proponents of the all-in football tournament?

49 minutes ago, gindie said:

If I recall correctly, wasn't New Prairie the home of Amzie Miller, who was one of the strongest proponents of the all-in football tournament?

That is correct. He was the principal thee and pushed hard for that. The field at New Prairie is named for him.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, FastpacedO said:

35-14 seems about right to me as well. I watched both semi-states. New Prairie/Kokomo could have been played on a field 53 1/3 ft wide. I’m not sure they needed room outside the hashes. 

As with many state finals, this one will be won/lost in the second quarter. Both teams will come out excited but once that first qtr adrenaline wears off the stronger team usually comes through. 

• Like 1