Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A: Andrean vs Mater Dei

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just saying…if the injury happened “a few weeks ago” you can’t break out that card only when it’s convenient.

He had a brace on one of his knees. It was clearly visible on tape so I'm not worried about "outing" it.  Hope he gets better by baseball. He seemed clearly to be favoring it.

2 hours ago, tango said:

Should Bowen have been ejected for that hit?

Funny you should ask that. There is no mandatory disqualification for targeting in high school like there is in NCAA. However, a targeting foul where contact is initiated with a helmet above the shoulders of a defenseless player can be a candidate for a flagrant foul, resulting in disqualification.

I was the observer on this game, and I discussed this very question with the crew after the game. After a thorough discussion, we all agreed that the hit, although there was a lot of contact, should not have been considered “flagrant.” So, IMO the crew got it exactly right … except the Referee gave the personal foul signal (#38), but omitted the signal for targeting (#24).

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Here's the play in question:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I only had time to watc the 1st half. I’m assuming the 2nd half was about the same.  I think the elder Statesmen coaching MD schooled the young Andrean HC. Andrean didn’t look prepared and MD looked prepared for anything Andrean tried doing offensively. 

Same two went at it last year and youngster schooled the oldster 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Funny you should ask that. There is no mandatory disqualification for targeting in high school like there is in NCAA. However, a targeting foul where contact is initiated with a helmet above the shoulders of a defenseless player can be a candidate for a flagrant foul, resulting in disqualification.

I was the observer on this game, and I discussed this very question with the crew after the game. After a thorough discussion, we all agreed that the hit, although there was a lot of contact, should not have been considered “flagrant.” So, IMO the crew got it exactly right … except the Referee gave the personal foul signal (#38), but omitted the signal for targeting (#24).

Looks like the hit that Tyquan Hammock put on Garrett Meador.  I don't even think targeting existed back then. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, First_Backer_Inside said:

That's because Center Grove is in 6A. The only way to stop them from winning another state championship would be to tell them they can't be in the tournament. These other teams can be bumped up and werent this last reclassification so its a little annoying is all. 

There's always NAIA or Division III!😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Yep. It’s clear MD made the adjustments needed for this year. 

Heard a comment before the game from a friend of a friend of someone on the MD coaching staff  that going in to the game, MD felt they could move the ball on Andrean Defense and put some points on the board but was uncertain about stopping Bowen.  They had some ideas but so did all the other teams Bowen ran over during the season. 

It seemed to me watching from the stands that very little Andrean did on offense surprised Mater Dei.  Lots of key defensive stops on 3rd & 4th down kept sending Andrean offense to the sidelines.  On offense, MD was able to run enough with Pierre to eat the clock and keep DBs honest on pass routes.  Good game plan and near flawless execution by Mater Dei allowed them to come out on top.  

• Like 3

MD OL and DL was MUCH the best Friday morning.  They played inspired and Andrean could not get their QB play going.  

On 11/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, temptation said:

Just saying…if the injury happened “a few weeks ago” you can’t break out that card only when it’s convenient.

week 1 

Certainly didnt hurt his performance week before with 358 yds

I thought MD defense was fantastic. They had a plan to slow Bowen and executed it. To claim injury is a little slap to MD.  I watched Andrean a number of times and while very good team I thought they were better last year and year prior.  Congrats to them on getting back as its never easy to do

also MD QB is really good 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, Titan32 said:

It's plenty significant enough to make enrollment only classification not work in 2A and 3A.  The data speaks for itself......or folks can just keep telling themselves the disparity in championship appearances is because of some magical Catholic work ethic brought over the pond from hearty Irish ancestors.  There are plenty of publics with all the great things like feeder systems, supportive admin, supportive communities, quality facilities etc.....but they will always have that boat anchor of a significantly less homogenous student population.  There is a reason half the states or so have a multiplier, the data is similar all across the country.

You think the other 2A schools aren't homogenous enough?   We see good public school programs throughout the country, too.  

Edited by Robert

18 minutes ago, Robert said:

You think the other 2A schools aren't homogenous enough?   We see good public school programs throughout the country, too.  

Just because you are good doesn't mean you aren't at a disadvantage.  I would estimate GS at as high as 35% noneffective enrollment (guessing NP is similar)....I admit that data isn't very scientific (based on a poll of my 4 kids), but having this number exact doesn't really matter for the purposes of this conversation, the phenomena is real and catastrophically effects Indiana football and football across the country.  Again, this is why about half the states in the union have a multiplier.  I don't like the idea of putting privates in their own playoffs like many states have done....just need to get them on an even playing field.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Just because you are good doesn't mean you aren't at a disadvantage.  I would estimate GS at as high as 35% noneffective enrollment (guessing NP is similar)....I admit that data isn't very scientific (based on a poll of my 4 kids), but having this number exact doesn't really matter for the purposes of this conversation, the phenomena is real and catastrophically effects Indiana football and football across the country.  Again, this is why about half the states in the union have a multiplier.  I don't like the idea of putting privates in their own playoffs like many states have done....just need to get them on an even playing field.

I just love that your argument is basically "35-50% of kids in public school are turds, therefore, the kids that are not turds cant compete." 

• Like 3