Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $2,942.04 of $3,600 target

2A: Andrean vs Mater Dei


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Unless you are including freshmen, I don't believe MD has ever had "80 - 100" players on the varsity team, even back in the initial years of real success back in the late 1990s & early 2000s when the roster was truly huge because every kid wanted to be on the team.  Typical is 60 - 70, not including frosh - still very good numbers but hardly "80 -100" cited.  Here are roster numbers for last 5 years from Max Preps. 

Now, they could fill a Hadi Shrine clown car on Thanksgiving with all their coaches, there is no disputing that!🤡image.png.7ce85bd3e8192e6221d28978463c06d4.png

It's really not even about roster size....rosters have dead weight as well.  Who is paying for your service?...people who put a high value on it.

Edited by Titan32
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

LCC was 91-133 over that time.  7 winning seasons, 14 losing seasons, and one tied season ... one sectional title in 1989. 

Thanks!  I didn't want to look up the numbers.  One of the winning seasons was 1987 when LCC went 7-4 and lost 42-0 in the sectional to Frontier.  I guess the advantages for LCC didn't start until 2009.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tippy said:

Thanks!  I didn't want to look up the numbers.  One of the winning seasons was 1987 when LCC went 7-4 and lost 42-0 in the sectional to Frontier.  I guess the advantages for LCC didn't start until 2009.  

The gap between the haves and the have nots has grown at a fairly linear rate and Covid accelerated the gap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Unless you are including freshmen, I don't believe MD has ever had "80 - 100" players on the varsity team, even back in the initial years of real success back in the late 1990s & early 2000s when the roster was truly huge because every kid wanted to be on the team.  Typical is 60 - 70, not including frosh - still very good numbers but hardly "80 -100" cited.  Here are roster numbers for last 5 years from Max Preps. 

Now, they could fill a Hadi Shrine clown car on Thanksgiving with all their coaches, there is no disputing that!🤡image.png.7ce85bd3e8192e6221d28978463c06d4.png

I’m including freshmen, I could be wrong but would guess most 2A public schools include freshmen on the roster. Guessing the P/Ps don’t have to dress freshmen or use them for practice. Including freshmen we had 44 players at the start of the year coming off a conference championship season and 9 wins last year. Including freshmen MD probably had 85-90 players it’s not apples to apples. 

Fun fact we dressed 39 healthy players against MD, they had that many coaches/staff/trainers/doctors on the roster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

It's really not even about roster size....rosters have dead weight as well.  Who is paying for your service?...people who put a high value on it.

Families who put a higher value on the service still produce slow, unathletic, 140 lbs WRs & DBs who see the field for 3 plays their entire career or play in the band or are on the Speech & Debate Team Club or who don't do anything extra-curricular in nature - i.e. "dead weight" from a football classification perspective and they produce them in similar numbers as other schools do.  Trust me, I have this in my own home where one child was involved with exactly ZERO extra-curricular activities in their 4 years at MD, but had a 4.0 GPA and a close knit group of non-athletic friends.

Yes, there may fewer of these at MD with an enrollment of 600 vs a large public school with 1200, 1500 or 2000 kids but some people like to act as if the zombie apocalypse occurred in their school and 50% of the kids are infected and all they do is walk around the halls eating their more athletic classmates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tippy said:

Thanks!  I didn't want to look up the numbers.  One of the winning seasons was 1987 when LCC went 7-4 and lost 42-0 in the sectional to Frontier.  I guess the advantages for LCC didn't start until 2009.  

They did pick up a state title in 1999 and then promptly turned around and had a pair of back-to-back 5-5 seasons.

I think what folks don't realize is that, prior to LCC starting their youth program, LCC overall win percentage was a bit under 54%.  In the time that the first group of youth players were seniors to this year, that percentage is a bit over 71%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cappy said:

I’m including freshmen, I could be wrong but would guess most 2A public schools include freshmen on the roster. Guessing the P/Ps don’t have to dress freshmen or use them for practice. Including freshmen we had 44 players at the start of the year coming off a conference championship season and 9 wins last year. Including freshmen MD probably had 85-90 players it’s not apples to apples. 

Fun fact we dressed 39 healthy players against MD, they had that many coaches/staff/trainers/doctors on the roster

MD rarely dresses Frosh until they get to the playoffs.  This year they added 6-10 frosh to playoff roster, many of whom will need to make a contribution right away next year.

It is not lost on me that the sheer number of volunteer coaches Mater Dei has been blessed with makes them unique and provides the players with a great deal more 1 on 1 coaching & attention.  I know this is not the case with many/most schools and we are very fortunate.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

They did pick up a state title in 1999 and then promptly turned around and had a pair of back-to-back 5-5 seasons.

I think what folks don't realize is that, prior to LCC starting their youth program, LCC overall win percentage was a bit under 54%.  In the time that the first group of youth players were seniors to this year, that percentage is a bit over 71%. 

What year did LCC start their youth program?  I know you were involved with the youth program for years and did a great job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s get this back on topic. I’ll be the first to say I was skeptical about MD returning to state without Humphries, Boots and especially Ralph. But i was really impressed last Friday night! The offense really clicked last Friday, no offense to Linton but it was ugly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Andrean WR Pat Clacks on the game "It's a rematch, so they want blood from us. But we want blood from them too." 

Should be a good one, just like last year. 

Thanks for trying to get this thread back on subject.  This should be a really good rematch, just hoping we get the better of it this year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tippy said:

What year did LCC start their youth program?  I know you were involved with the youth program for years and did a great job.

The impetus for the start of the youth program was the 1983 season ... 0-10.  I don't know if it started directly in '84 or '85.  As I piece the info together, I believe that dads from LCC, West Lafayette, and I think McCutcheon and one other school formed the dads' league and started the youth program.  It was well established by the time I arrived here in the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Families who put a higher value on the service still produce slow, unathletic, 140 lbs WRs & DBs who see the field for 3 plays their entire career or play in the band or are on the Speech & Debate Team Club or who don't do anything extra-curricular in nature - i.e. "dead weight" from a football classification perspective and they produce them in similar numbers as other schools do.  Trust me, I have this in my own home where one child was involved with exactly ZERO extra-curricular activities in their 4 years at MD, but had a 4.0 GPA and a close knit group of non-athletic friends.

Yes, there may fewer of these at MD with an enrollment of 600 vs a large public school with 1200, 1500 or 2000 kids but some people like to act as if the zombie apocalypse occurred in their school and 50% of the kids are infected and all they do is walk around the halls eating their more athletic classmates.

It's plenty significant enough to make enrollment only classification not work in 2A and 3A.  The data speaks for itself......or folks can just keep telling themselves the disparity in championship appearances is because of some magical Catholic work ethic brought over the pond from hearty Irish ancestors.  There are plenty of publics with all the great things like feeder systems, supportive admin, supportive communities, quality facilities etc.....but they will always have that boat anchor of a significantly less homogenous student population.  There is a reason half the states or so have a multiplier, the data is similar all across the country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

It's plenty significant enough to make enrollment only classification not work in 2A and 3A.  The data speaks for itself......or folks can just keep telling themselves the disparity in championship appearances is because of some magical Catholic work ethic brought over the pond from hearty Irish ancestors.  There are plenty of publics with all the great things like feeder systems, supportive admin, supportive communities, quality facilities etc.....but they will always have that boat anchor of a significantly less homogenous student population.  There is a reason half the states or so have a multiplier, the data is similar all across the country.

Check Irish.... It was the ITALIANS... 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Cappy said:

Let’s get this back on topic. I’ll be the first to say I was skeptical about MD returning to state without Humphries, Boots and especially Ralph. But i was really impressed last Friday night! The offense really clicked last Friday, no offense to Linton but it was ugly.

MD needs to stack the box to slow down Bowen and trust the corners defensively. Offensively if they they can get the run game working just a little to open up the pass game I think Wunderlich can have himself a day and the cats can win. MD- 20 Andrean- 14

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigCatFootball said:

MD needs to stack the box to slow down Bowen and trust the corners defensively. Offensively if they they can get the run game working just a little to open up the pass game I think Wunderlich can have himself a day and the cats can win. MD- 20 Andrean- 14

I love the optimism BigCat and I agree the Wildcats have to get some kind of run game working to open up some passing lanes and be able to move the ball effectively. We can't have turnovers, negative plays or penalties that end, slow or stall drives. I also think we have to score more than 21 to win. We've got a great challenge in front of us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BigCatFootball said:

Md goes up 7-0 after a td ti Stolz on the first drive. Had the run game rolling all drive and a couple completed passes. Great opening drive for the Wildcats!!

Someone tell @TigerFan20 there is a game thread for this one. 

Good to see MD convert their first red zone opportunity. That was the difference last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...