Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CFP: 8 Teams for 4 Spots

temptation

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's definitely the case when it comes to the playoffs. But the Big Ten does seem to hold it's own in the other bowl games. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Big Ten's record is against the SEC in bowl games outside of the playoffs over the last 5 years. 

Eh, bowl games have become more and more irrelevant since the inception of the playoff.  They are really spring games for the following season.  Varying levels of motivation, opt outs, etc make them glorified scrimmages in many cases.

I want LSU/Bama/Georgia in the Shoe or at the Big House in December and hope the 12 team playoff makes that a reality.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

That's definitely the case when it comes to the playoffs. But the Big Ten does seem to hold it's own in the other bowl games. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Big Ten's record is against the SEC in bowl games outside of the playoffs over the last 5 years. 

Or not................5-12 

51 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Serious question....a Purdue upset could cost the Big 10 conference some serious cash if the result pushed Michigan out of the top 4.  Is it safe to say, the big wigs in the Big 10 office are UM fans Saturday??

Michigan is in even with a loss.

11 hours ago, temptation said:

Without a doubt.

Who you moving in front of them?

After last night, no one now.   I think the BCS higher ups are hoping for a TCU loss so they can move Bama back into the 4.  

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

USC has to be out? Opens the he door for????

I think OSU now definitely in......Bama also if TCU loses

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Irishman said:

To clarify, the field expands to 12. I wonder if we will see conferences put an end to their championship games? Especially with the coming 12 team playoff. A potential loss in an extra game could put a team in a bind as far as seeding goes, especially with 1st round byes involved.

Wow...Am I living under a rock? I completely missed that it was expanding to 12. Not sure why I thought 8. I just read the 1st round is expected to generate roughly $450M in Revenue from ESPN. I can't readily find any data, but I would be curious to see how much TV Revenue the SEC and Big 10 will earn today. As someone else mentioned, I have a feeling the Conference Championship games will be useless. USC would agree. @temptation I agree with you! An SEC/BIg 10 Playoff game in the Big House, Happy Valley, The Shoe, or Camp Randall beats a meaningless Bowl game in Florida every single year. 

"The first round of the 2024-25 playoff will take place throughout the week ending Saturday, Dec. 21; the CFP will attempt to schedule those first-round games later in that week. Games will be hosted either at home stadiums of the highest-seeded teams in those games or other sites chosen by that programs for logistical purposes. Those extra games are expected to general roughly $450 million in revenue from ESPN for the CFP and its members"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Irishman said:

TCU should stay in the playoff

But if the committee is tasked with picking the four best teams:

Georgia

Michigan

Alabama

TCU/Ohio State

The interesting thing would be the committees justification for moving Alabama ahead of Ohio State when neither team played. 

Edited by BTF

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

But if the committee is tasked with picking the four best teams:

Georgia

Michigan

Alabama

TCU/Ohio State

The interesting thing would be the committees justification for moving Alabama ahead of Ohio State when neither team played. 

I agree that Alabama should not leap frog anyone. I was messaging an older brother during the game, and he put it best. If the conference title games mean anything, give more credit to a team who played in one, especially if the loss was a close one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I agree that Alabama should not leap frog anyone. I was messaging an older brother during the game, and he put it best. If the conference title games mean anything, give more credit to a team who played in one, especially if the loss was a close one. 

I would have to agree with that. So right now it's:

Georgia vs Ohio State

Michigan vs TCU

• Like 2

I'm only surprised a bit that TCU retained a PO spot after losing in their championship game and winning almost all games within a score or two the whole season.  Not much dominance.  I guess just winning was enough.  USC didn't get the same respect as TCU either.

Alabama lost two games on the last play, one in OT.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm only surprised a bit that TCU retained a PO spot after losing in their championship game and winning almost all games within a score or two the whole season.  Not much dominance.  I guess just winning was enough.  USC didn't get the same respect as TCU either.

Alabama lost two games on the last play, one in OT.

Bama lost 2 games...beat Texas by 1 (TCU beat them by 7), beat a 5-7 Texas A&M team only by 4 at home, and beat Ole Miss by 6.  The game they lost to Tenn, Bama gave up 52 points.  This was not one of Bama's finest years and I am just fine they are on the outside looking in.  

Had to chuckle at Saban's argument they won their last 3...yes it was their last 3 because they lost to LSU before to cap the streak at 3.  Those 3 teams were Ole Miss (solid team), Auburn (bad year...they fired their coach) and Austin Peay (FCS school).  That was not an impressive winning streak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I've seen about 5 minutes of TCU football this year. I've never been much of a fan of the Big 12. Can they hang with Michigan? Georgia at -6.5 seems like a lock. 

Michigan will run the ball down their throats. It won’t be pretty. The question is whether Michigan’s defense can limit TCU’s big plays. TCU really depends on those.

• Like 1