Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Watching State Finals - Everything you need to know

Another thought on LIVE TV coverage for the 6A game.

Let's face it.... about 80% (maybe) of the 6A schools are right around Indy.

And it's very likely that two of those local Indy schools will be in the finals.

That's means that IHSAA would prefer to have those LOCAL fans attending the game in person,

to bump up concession sales as well as parking and everything else that goes with it.

Now.... this might have been a decision totally made by the IHSAATV.org..... but I'm sure that the IHSAA had some "suggestions" to the IHSAATV.org.

Just some thoughts to think about.

20 minutes ago, Tscurlo2019 said:

Another thought on LIVE TV coverage for the 6A game.

Let's face it.... about 80% (maybe) of the 6A schools are right around Indy.

And it's very likely that two of those local Indy schools will be in the finals.

That's means that IHSAA would prefer to have those LOCAL fans attending the game in person,

to bump up concession sales as well as parking and everything else that goes with it.

Now.... this might have been a decision totally made by the IHSAATV.org..... but I'm sure that the IHSAA had some "suggestions" to the IHSAATV.org.

Just some thoughts to think about.

IHSAAtv is IHSAA and no, the IHSAA nor IHSAAtv have anything to do with what games are aired on TV and which channels.  Bally owns 100% of TV rights.  the IHSAA owns internet streaming rights.

51 minutes ago, Tscurlo2019 said:

My point.... if you are going to show all the other Class Games for free on Cable TV.... make arrangements to show ALL of the Classes free on TV.

That's not fair to parents and fans.   That's unequal. 

People will say.... but it's only $15 or $20 bucks and it goes to a good cause.... Fine.... CHARGE EVERYBODY $15 or $20 to watch all the ballgames then.

This is the feeling I have living in the northern part of the state, as well.  There is no one in the Bally Sports Indiana service area that is paying that much per month for that cable channel.  The IHSAA is well-aware that Bally Sports Indiana doesn't reach into the north, or else they wouldn't have allowed WHME to air the games for all those years.

So, basically, they are punishing people in the northern -- and as I read this, the southern part -- of the state. It truly is an unequitable situation. Not to mention, you are completely missing the opportunity to get the casual viewer who might come past your game and see your product for a while 

I get the fact that the IHSAA controls the rights and can do what they want with them. But to run the media campaign "this is your IHSAA"?  Apparently, that's only true in the markets that receive Bally Sports Indiana. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gridwatcher said:

This is the feeling I have living in the northern part of the state, as well.  There is no one in the Bally Sports Indiana service area that is paying that much per month for that cable channel.  The IHSAA is well-aware that Bally Sports Indiana doesn't reach into the north, or else they wouldn't have allowed WHME to air the games for all those years.

So, basically, they are punishing people in the northern -- and as I read this, the southern part -- of the state. It truly is an unequitable situation. Not to mention, you are completely missing the opportunity to get the casual viewer who might come past your game and see your product for a while 

I get the fact that the IHSAA controls the rights and can do what they want with them. But to run the media campaign "this is your IHSAA"?  Apparently, that's only true in the markets that receive Bally Sports Indiana. 

WHME knew the rights were available.  They didn't offer 1 cent for the rights.   They thought they were entitled.  So, talk to Chuck.

• Disdain 2

1 hour ago, IHSAAtv said:

WHME knew the rights were available.  They didn't offer 1 cent for the rights.   They thought they were entitled.  So, talk to Chuck.

That doesn't address the discrepancy I brought up. So instead of blaming WHME -- which has done more for high school sports than any TV station in the northern part of the state -- could you possibly explain the discrepancy in how regions of the state are treated by this TV deal?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gridwatcher said:

That doesn't address the discrepancy I brought up. So instead of blaming WHME -- which has done more for high school sports than any TV station in the northern part of the state -- could you possibly explain the discrepancy in how regions of the state are treated by this TV deal?

Yes, TV stations in other regions could purchase the rights to also broadcast the games from Bally.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 10:50 PM, gindie said:

I hope you found a source and I wish I had seen your post earlier, because I know for a fact that at least one of the radio stations at the long link I posted just before your post had FREE streaming audio of the game (WGCS 91.1 FM) 

I found the broadcast on an Indy station.  I'm hoping that Bally Sports has replays of all the games, like they have in the past.  I'd like to see the game, even though I know the outcome.

Edited by PHJIrish

19 hours ago, Gridwatcher said:

WHME was the ONLY station allowed to air over the air and has been for the last 10 years.  5.5 million fans across the state watched via a subscription on Fox/Bally since 2012.  WHME never paid for rights, never thanked the IHSAA and did not explain the situation to fans.  Their permission to air was a legacy from the days that Comcast had the rights and the SB and region area were feed out of of Chicago and Detroit... which did not carry the tournaments.   Chuck Freeby has blocked the IHSAA personnel on social media as a 'Thank You' for the 10 years of a free gift.   

• Disdain 1

6 hours ago, IHSAAtv said:

Chuck Freeby has blocked the IHSAA personnel on social media as a 'Thank You' for the 10 years of a free gift.   

I do not personally know Chuck, never met him, but do know about him, and would be surprised to hear that he has such an attitude about the situation.  Also, I find it surprising that the IHSAA is allowing someone (purporting to be "in the know") to engage in such opinionated banter about IHSAA policies/decisions, etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gindie said:

I do not personally know Chuck, never met him, but do know about him, and would be surprised to hear that he has such an attitude about the situation.  Also, I find it surprising that the IHSAA is allowing someone (purporting to be "in the know") to engage in such opinionated banter about IHSAA policies/decisions, etc.

Since you know him...  give him a call and ask....FIRST!  

1 hour ago, gindie said:

17 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Since you know him...  give him a call and ask....FIRST!  

Im confused Yuckyguy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IHSAAtv said:

WHME was the ONLY station allowed to air over the air and has been for the last 10 years.  5.5 million fans across the state watched via a subscription on Fox/Bally since 2012.  WHME never paid for rights, never thanked the IHSAA and did not explain the situation to fans.  Their permission to air was a legacy from the days that Comcast had the rights and the SB and region area were feed out of of Chicago and Detroit... which did not carry the tournaments.   Chuck Freeby has blocked the IHSAA personnel on social media as a 'Thank You' for the 10 years of a free gift.   

Yikes

2 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Im confused Yuckyguy

I owe you an apology.   I sincerely apologize and sorry that I posted a response...

Sometimes, not paying attention to ONE word....can make one become a total idiot....  = @yuccaguy  in this case. 

And yes even perhaps...Yuckyguy also.  😃

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:00 AM, IHSAAtv said:

Look what happens when Phil Gardner leaves...it gets worse and worse at that place.