Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Training Video

Impartial_Observer

Question

22 answers to this question

Would be nice if some sort of reasoning is put in place BEFORE posting "training videos ".  I was featured once after picking up a towel.and tossing it right before a snap....

Was told to "not be outside of the tacke" at the snap......  NO Shite!

• Haha 2

....but long-term crews that enforce rules that we are told to enforce do not move forward or even get a playoff game.

But what gets me is, we cannot find out why or get scores until everything is over, 7 weeks after we need to know.  Not a real good model of feedback.

I read this, I read of crews wearing jackets during games with the wrong striping, crews letting wrong # of players on multiple plays, and I'm planning on

putting to my crew to not apply for a playoff next year, so we can do as we please.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, SPARKS said:

....but long-term crews that enforce rules that we are told to enforce do not move forward or even get a playoff game.

But what gets me is, we cannot find out why or get scores until everything is over, 7 weeks after we need to know.  Not a real good model of feedback.

I read this, I read of crews wearing jackets during games with the wrong striping, crews letting wrong # of players on multiple plays, and I'm planning on

putting to my crew to not apply for a playoff next year, so we can do as we please.

We've NEVER had an issue with enforcement of uniform rules. or the like!.  Just do it!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SPARKS said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. But as a matter of logic, since the system is “not a real good model of feedback,” how can you conclude that lack of advancement is tied to enforcement of uniform rules?

• Like 1

I'm not saying the enforcement of uniform rules is tied to lack of advancement.  My biggest problem is waiting for feedback from the IHSAA on what our school scores were and who voted.  We will get it in a couple of weeks, when many officials are involved with winter sports, the last football game was 7 weeks ago, you have an idea what schools voted how, and when you try to address scores, it gets lost in everything that has happened in the last 7 weeks.  So you start thinking, it would be nice going through a football season without worrying about the politics of playoff assignment.  When the first playoff games are awarded, that is when we need our crew info.  Bob, I know you mean well, but your thoughts on all of this are based on a highly successful career of football officiating.  I know you try to see things at the other end of the seesaw, but other people don't always have empathy for the folk down here.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SPARKS said:

I'm not saying the enforcement of uniform rules is tied to lack of advancement.  My biggest problem is waiting for feedback from the IHSAA on what our school scores were and who voted.  We will get it in a couple of weeks, when many officials are involved with winter sports, the last football game was 7 weeks ago, you have an idea what schools voted how, and when you try to address scores, it gets lost in everything that has happened in the last 7 weeks.  So you start thinking, it would be nice going through a football season without worrying about the politics of playoff assignment.  When the first playoff games are awarded, that is when we need our crew info.  Bob, I know you mean well, but your thoughts on all of this are based on a highly successful career of football officiating.  I know you try to see things at the other end of the seesaw, but other people don't always have empathy for the folk down here.

No one has been a bigger and more consistent critic of the coaches’ vote process, and its lack of useful information that officials can use to get better, than I have, even though my crew was very successful under the system. Whether you wait 7 minutes or 7 weeks to get your results, they tell you nothing useful. I’m more empathetic to your situation than you know.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SPARKS said:

I'm not saying the enforcement of uniform rules is tied to lack of advancement.  My biggest problem is waiting for feedback from the IHSAA on what our school scores were and who voted We will get it in a couple of weeks, when many officials are involved with winter sports, the last football game was 7 weeks ago, you have an idea what schools voted how, and when you try to address scores, it gets lost in everything that has happened in the last 7 weeks.  So you start thinking, it would be nice going through a football season without worrying about the politics of playoff assignment.  When the first playoff games are awarded, that is when we need our crew info.  Bob, I know you mean well, but your thoughts on all of this are based on a highly successful career of football officiating.  I know you try to see things at the other end of the seesaw, but other people don't always have empathy for the folk down here.

Are you suggesting that the IHSAA post the 'rankings' prior (or in conjunction with) the beginning of the tournament?   

If you have noticed, the past 2 seasons the IHSAA has removed the ability to see who was awarded games in the tournament in FB.  I assume that this was due to multiple inquiries as to who/what/where/why crews were given assignments; And they were tired of dealing with it on Meridian Street.  

Every season, I can "plan" on receiving a negative vote from at least 2 schools, for NO REASON whatsoever other than spite.  I am fully aware of who they are.

Of course the occasional 3 pops up, and it usually is "Well they did our Sectional"...completely oblivious as to how the ranking system works.  But so it is.  

.I have no idea of how information is presently conveyed via Meridian Street to their member schools as to 'how they should evaluate/vote for crews. 

But I do know a few years back at an IHSAA sponsored conference;  To an official we were floored at the rational and utter randomness of how schools were voting.  It was astounding in its simplicity of an evaluation for crews.  The IHSAA schools adminstrators present had no standard way of anything close to an accurate way of anything that could be considered an 'evaluation'.  

• Like 1

I don't care who you are, superstar or third string punter... no exceptions to the visor rule, (without a medical exception) and always knee pads. There are arguments about the protection the pads provide... kids like to look cool like a college players. Rules are rules and must be enforced. 

10 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

I don't care who you are, superstar or third string punter... no exceptions to the visor rule, (without a medical exception) and always knee pads. There are arguments about the protection the pads provide... kids like to look cool like a college players. Rules are rules and must be enforced. 

There is no medical exemption 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

There is no medical exemption 

Correct. Doesn’t matter if you have a letter personally signed by the Surgeon General. No tint in visors. The rule specifically states that any eye shield attached to the helmet must be “Clear without the presence of any tint.”

10 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

ART.3 -C-4 lines that out... the is an EXCEPTION: "Tinted eyewear worn on the face and under the facemask is legal" So how much tint... by this exception could sunglasses be worn? 

Sunglasses are legal.

This is a safety rule. In the event of a head injury, medical personnel need to see the kid’s eyes, while stabilizing his neck. Sunglasses can be removed. A tinted visor must be detached from the helmet, more difficult to do while stabilizing the neck.

Edited by Bobref

On 11/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, Bobref said:

Sigh ….

Honestly I could give two shits about visors and covered knees. None of us want to be the uniform police. More to the point the same person who harps on this crap hand picks these crews. So the question begs to be asked what’s really important? I get it’s the championship game, and it’s about the play on the field……at what point are we to ignore these rules, sectional, regional, SS, or is it only at the finals?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Honestly I could give two shits about visors and covered knees. None of us want to be the uniform police. More to the point the same person who harps on this crap hand picks these crews. So the question begs to be asked what’s really important? I get it’s the championship game, and it’s about the play on the field……at what point are we to ignore these rules, sectional, regional, SS, or is it only at the finals?

This is my biggest complaint besides coaches vote being a thing. We get told to be those guys, yet they are issues every year in the State Finals. No crew is perfect, but if they are letting it happen in the state finals, you can bet they have let it happen all year.

One of the challenges with some shields today is any tint may depend on the angle. I had a game this year where I could see my reflection in the shield of the player. He insisted there was no tint. I asked another player to confirm we could see our reflection, and he said he could not. Turns out if the player turned around 180 degree and I looked at it from that side, perfectly clear! That's not fair! I wish the manufacturers would keep it simple and only sell clear eye shields.