Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jerry Baker

1 hour ago, gindie said:

I know he is a legendary broadcaster, having done so many IHSAA and Indy 500 events. (Although I always thought he heavily favored Indy teams)

But, it's time to put the mic away.  SO MANY mistakes, just in the 1st quarter of the 1A game.

Most that I've heard over the years are Indy Homers.

54 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Would love to see Chuck Freeby of WHME (South Bend) do one of these games.  That dude is a pro as far as I’m concerned.

I agree totally.   I remember when Chuck was a student at Elkhart Central in the 80's.  He used to call into a local weekly sports talk show and made no secret that he wanted to become a broadcaster and he has become a very good one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

Lance was asked last min this morning to fill in for Jan Boser, he had almost no prep time 

After hearing Jan yesterday, that makes complete sense. 

Has to be tough to call in sick during the biggest weekend of the year die HS football but it was the right call.

Look forward to hearing him in the call next year.

36 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

JB is a legend around Indy.  He originally was a DJ at WIRE radio 1430 am in the '60's.  Then he was the 1st radio voice of the Pacers.  He has called many championship games at every level.  But, he should be put out to pasture.

Actually, Jerry was first a DJ at WIFE radio when they first went on the air, and that was 1963. Jerry is from Sullivan, IN, and often has talked about when he was driving up to Indy for the job, he found out that his DJ name would be Jack Sunday. He has to be closing in on 80 years old, if not already there. Jerry also was the person who introduced The Beatles for their first of two shows during the 1964 Indiana State Fair. 

He was hired in 2017 to be the Pacers PA announcer after long time PA guy Reb Porter (another old WIFE DJ) retired. I never was at one of his games, but I heard it didn't go well.  He was replaced the following season.

The link below is about 2 minutes, starting with Jerry's introduction of the group.

• Like 2

Jerry is a very kind and generous person. I know he spent time over the years with my young broadcasters walking them through his notes and his research for games. Jerry's one of the few people who can still make me starstruck. He may have lost a step or two, but that's a step or two no one else had. 

• Like 4

I have long wondered why the state final broadcast doesn't bring in the folks who have covered the team involved all year to the broadcast.  Perhaps not as the main guy, the main play by play guy, but to add the knowledge of what  the team does...who is who.. because I am amazed at how many times the wrong kid is named... and I know mistakes happen...and they don't really have much time to dive and research a whole season's worth of games.   I know I'd much rather hear the voice of someone who really understands who the team counts on, who gets it done and what a team is about.  I'd love a 3 man team....one from both sides and a neutral host.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I have long wondered why the state final broadcast doesn't bring in the folks who have covered the team involved all year to the broadcast.  Perhaps not as the main guy, the main play by play guy, but to add the knowledge of what  the team does...who is who.. because I am amazed at how many times the wrong kid is named... and I know mistakes happen...and they don't really have much time to dive and research a whole season's worth of games.   I know I'd much rather hear the voice of someone who really understands who the team counts on, who gets it done and what a team is about.  I'd love a 3 man team....one from both sides and a neutral host.   

If a wrong kid is named at the state game, the roster was wrong.

10 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

or I would assume whomever prepared the charts for the announcers made the mistake.  WHen I did the MD-Linton game I was keenly aware MD had 2 kickers both with impressive kicking stats...so I was surprised to hear a wrong name multiple times on a FG... BUT....I also know I had all week to prepare for the MD game, not to mention we played them in each of the last 5 years... so I knew what I was going to see pretty well.  I guess that would be my point.  Not saying get rid of the guy, he's the guy... but it would be great to have guys involved who know the teams very well too.  Course I also think a 3 man broadcast crew would be crowded and hard to keep talk-over chtter down...but it would make for an interesting session.....  but...it just occured to me... the local guys would be doing the games for their local coverage on radio already....so that pretty much ends that thought...!  

19 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Uh, no. In 2019 Brock Combs dominated the 4A state title game on both sides of the ball, but was referred to as "Luke Combs" several times. Brock was a helluva football player, but he couldn't play guitar or carry a tune at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Not necessarily for video coverage since the IHSAA claims a monopoly on streaming/broadcast video.

The IHSAA “claims a monopoly” on broadcast rights in the same way you claim a monopoly on the sale of your home. You are entitled to the “monopoly” because you are the exclusive owner of the product. It’s the IHSAA’s tournament. They take the risk, they’re entitled to a reasonable return on their investment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

The IHSAA “claims a monopoly” on broadcast rights in the same way you claim a monopoly on the sale of your home. You are entitled to the “monopoly” because you are the exclusive owner of the product. It’s the IHSAA’s tournament. They take the risk, they’re entitled to a reasonable return on their investment.

It was a poor choice of words, my apologies. Yours is much better as always.

Edited by BDGiant93