Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Australian Rules Football

As I write I am watching a replay of an AFL football game (Australian rules football). I've have watched it on and off in the past,  Now that I have internet television, I have been able  to watch a alot recently. The more I watch the more I enjoy the sport.  From what I've read AFL is experiencing great growth in the United States with some colleges and even high school teams around the country starting clubs. Aside being played on a massive circular field usually a cricket field and I know there are not many them around, I just wonder if this could even catch on as a high school sport here in the state.  Any thoughts?

I have seen it recently on Conan. He visited Australia and participated in a practice.  More comical than anything, but it does definitely have more action to it than American Football.  

Catching on in the states?  I doubt it.  The field dimensions alone would rule out a lot of areas, but I am reading about different field sizes for different ages.  Even normal rectangular fields.  And those run a bit smaller than football fields (about 10 yards smaller)

The hits look more vicious because they aren't wearing pads, but they tackle differently too.  Just like in rugby, they are trained to go for center mass.  

For all you young folks.... When ESPN started it Aussie Rules was basically the only team sport regularly shown.  Use to watch it all the time.  If it were to catch on it has to get in line before some other up and coming sports.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, coachkj said:

For all you young folks.... When ESPN started it Aussie Rules was basically the only team sport regularly shown.  Use to watch it all the time.  If it were to catch on it has to get in line before some other up and coming sports.

That and kickboxing

• Like 1