Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 College Football Off Season

Irishman

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

True or false:

”In 2023 and going forward, how well you recruit the transfer portal will be at least as important as how well you recruit high schools, if not more so.”

Discuss.

Just had a conversation with a friend about that very thing. Trying to keep the guys you have on the roster becomes a bigger deal as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

True or false:

”In 2023 and going forward, how well you recruit the transfer portal will be at least as important as how well you recruit high schools, if not more so.”

Discuss.

Couldn’t agree more.  Much less risk too.  College film on guys in order to evaluate.

Edited by temptation

On 12/21/2022 at 9:22 PM, temptation said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Much less risk too.  College film on guys in order to evaluate.

mmmm...probably depends on the experience level of players entering the portal.  I did see where some less experienced players provide video of their practices and spring games.

What I always found interesting in when a high school player is told to put his best plays immediately up front on his videos, as college coaches will not watch more than a minute.  I suppose that actually depends on how many stars are by the name......

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

mmmm...probably depends on the experience level of players entering the portal.  I did see where some less experienced players provide video of their practices and spring games.

What I always found interesting in when a high school player is told to put his best plays immediately up front on his videos, as college coaches will not watch more than a minute.  I suppose that actually depends on how many stars are by the name......

Either way, fairly level competition as opposed to high school film where you never know.. 

On 12/21/2022 at 7:54 PM, Bobref said:

True or false:

Discuss.

Look at Michigan. It's amazing. They don't have a single Top 100 HS Recruit. BUT, they have the #2 rated Transfer Portal Class (still unreal to me this is our reality) with at least 5 guys that can start right away. Has Harbaugh cracked the secret code to recruiting? Why waste time sweating out committments to stupid hat ceremonies and the likes of Nick Saban coming in on signing day with a sales pitch and NIL deal too good to pass up. Just bring in guys who you know can peform at a level you need from playing against them or watching them on tape. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Look at Michigan. It's amazing. They don't have a single Top 100 HS Recruit. BUT, they have the #2 rated Transfer Portal Class (still unreal to me this is our reality) with at least 5 guys that can start right away. Has Harbaugh cracked the secret code to recruiting? Why waste time sweating out committments to stupid hat ceremonies and the likes of Nick Saban coming in on signing day with a sales pitch and NIL deal too good to pass up. Just bring in guys who you know can peform at a level you need from playing against them or watching them on tape. 

Boom.  Doesn’t hurt that Michigan admissions are much more willing to play ball with transfer credits than they were 12 months ago when Harbaugh was interviewing in Minneapolis…coincidence, lol?

The current interplay of the transfer portal and NIL presents a fascinating, real-time case study in “The Law Of Unintended Consequences.” One that has occurred to me is that this encourages some kids to stay in school longer, rather than trying to grab the brass ring of professional football. It reduces the economic pressure. Kids staying in school longer should result in an improvement in the quality of play overall.

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

The current interplay of the transfer portal and NIL presents a fascinating, real-time case study in “The Law Of Unintended Consequences.” One that has occurred to me is that this encourages some kids to stay in school longer, rather than trying to grab the brass ring of professional football. It reduces the economic pressure. Kids staying in school longer should result in an improvement in the quality of play overall.

This I can get on board with but I saw a staggering statistic the other day regarding the transfer portal and guys who think the grass is greener somewhere else and end up stuck with nowhere to go.

I’ll see if I can find it.

Just like I’ve said about high school kids getting mixed messages from adults who are in their ear and tell them what they want to hear, this has now spread to the collegiate level.

Don’t feel as bad for these folks though because if you are 19-22 years old and can legally vote, you should be able to make adult related decisions about your livelihood.

(14-18 year old kids are the ones that really make me tear up.)

Just now, temptation said:

This I can get on board with but I saw a staggering statistic the other day regarding the transfer portal and guys who think the grass is greener somewhere else and end up stuck with nowhere to go.

Just like I’ve said about high school kids getting mixed messages from adults who are in their ear and tell them what they want to hear, this has now spread to the collegiate level.

Don’t feel as bad for these folks though because if you are 19-22 years old and can legally vote, you should be able to make adult related decisions about your livelihood.

Here it is:

In 2020, 49% of athletes (6,703) who entered the transfer portal enrolled at a new school, while 44% (6,009 athletes) are still exploring their options, transferred to a non-NCAA school, or left their sport, the NCAA data shows. The remainder of athletes withdrew from the transfer portal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

Here it is:

In 2020, 49% of athletes (6,703) who entered the transfer portal enrolled at a new school, while 44% (6,009 athletes) are still exploring their options, transferred to a non-NCAA school, or left their sport, the NCAA data shows. The remainder of athletes withdrew from the transfer portal.

These kids, and the people advising them do not understand the basic economic reality: The demand by schools for, and the supply of, athletes, has not changed. There are still only so many positions available. What’s going on now is basically just re-shuffling the deck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just one question: What’s a “computer access crime?”

https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/police-search-home-office-michigan-matt-weiss/

REPORT: Major Scandal Erupts After Police Conduct Search At Office & Home Of Michigan Football Coach

A Michigan football coach has been placed on leave due to a police investigation into a “report of computer access crimes” at Schembechler Hall in December.

Michigan co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss has been away from the team and is not helping on the recruiting trail this offseason, per college football insider Pete Thamel of ESPN.

Weiss released a statement to ESPN in response to this ongoing investigation:

“I am aware of the ongoing investigation by the University of Michigan Police Department and fully cooperating with investigators. I look forward to the matter being resolved. Out of respect for the integrity of the investigation, I will not have any further comment.”

The 39-year-old just finished his second season as an assistant under head coach Jim Harbaugh. The Wolverines have earned College Football Playoff berths in each of his two seasons with the program.

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I have just one question: What’s a “computer access crime?”

https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/police-search-home-office-michigan-matt-weiss/

REPORT: Major Scandal Erupts After Police Conduct Search At Office & Home Of Michigan Football Coach

A Michigan football coach has been placed on leave due to a police investigation into a “report of computer access crimes” at Schembechler Hall in December.

Michigan co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss has been away from the team and is not helping on the recruiting trail this offseason, per college football insider Pete Thamel of ESPN.

Weiss released a statement to ESPN in response to this ongoing investigation:

“I am aware of the ongoing investigation by the University of Michigan Police Department and fully cooperating with investigators. I look forward to the matter being resolved. Out of respect for the integrity of the investigation, I will not have any further comment.”

The 39-year-old just finished his second season as an assistant under head coach Jim Harbaugh. The Wolverines have earned College Football Playoff berths in each of his two seasons with the program.

Seems like it has something to do with unauthorized access of personal information while using university credentials/log in information.

He's likely coached his last day in Ann Arbor.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Seems like it has something to do with unauthorized access of personal information while using university credentials/log in information.

He's likely coached his last day in Ann Arbor.

I assumed something like that. I understand violation of an organizational policy. But a crime? 

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I assumed something like that. I understand violation of an organizational policy. But a crime? 

Yeah, waiting on the details to come out.  

Not being a homer here, but it can't be THAT serious if university police are involved rather than the state police/FBI.

Happened on December 21st-22nd.

His BIGGEST crime to me was the 4th and goal call on the first drive of the Fiesta Bowl...

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yeah, waiting on the details to come out.  

Not being a homer here, but it can't be THAT serious if university police are involved rather than the state police/FBI.

Happened on December 21st-22nd.

His BIGGEST crime to me was the 4th and goal call on the first drive of the Fiesta Bowl...

Haha...Agreed on both accounts!

What's happening in Oxford pretty much sums up the crazyness of the transfer portal. I believe Jaxson Dart (who tranferred from USC) started every game at QB for Ole Miss last season. He still has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Now, Ole Miss is bringing in the following QB's in the transfer portal:

• Spencer Sanders: Former starter at Oklahoma State
  • Walker Howard: Former Top 50 recruit at LSU. I think this is the guy Kelly danced with

I can't really fault Kiffin for playing the system. I watched a few Ole Miss games and Dart, who shows flashes of being Elite, was never really consistantly good. I just wonder at what point do coaches struggle recruiting the HS ranks because they are proving they will bring in a transfer the minute they see a need to fill. 

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

What's happening in Oxford pretty much sums up the crazyness of the transfer portal. I believe Jaxson Dart (who tranferred from USC) started every game at QB for Ole Miss last season. He still has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Now, Ole Miss is bringing in the following QB's in the transfer portal:

• Spencer Sanders: Former starter at Oklahoma State
  • Walker Howard: Former Top 50 recruit at LSU. I think this is the guy Kelly danced with

I can't really fault Kiffin for playing the system. I watched a few Ole Miss games and Dart, who shows flashes of being Elite, was never really consistantly good. I just wonder at what point do coaches struggle recruiting the HS ranks because they are proving they will bring in a transfer the minute they see a need to fill. 

I agree.......the portal, as someone stated before allows a coach to see a player compete on the collegiate level. Not sure what the future looks like for this....maybe more like a minor league system. Some schools are already head and shoulders above others as far as talent and depth go; this will make it more difficult to catch them.....add to it that coaches are actively recruiting kids who are not in the portal. 

on another note, the kid that Kelly danced with went to Alabama; not sure of his name at them moment, but I know it was not Howard. That was what made the whole thing an even bigger joke with Kelly dancing. Makes ya wonder what the hell Saban had to do to land the kid. lol 

That said, I am willing to bet he knew he was picking Alabama and just made Kelly do that to embarrass him.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 5:59 AM, temptation said:

Here it is:

College football isn’t for anyone, I’m played at fcs non scholarship and we’d get fcs scholly and fbs scholly transfers. Some of them we’d be really you got a full scholarship?

some players peak in hs and flame out, some don’t put the continual work in, and others we over recruited  and have to get on a level that meets their skill level.

This is a serious accusation. What say you, @temptation?

https://fanrecap.com/michigan-continues-to-ripoff-ohio-state-tradition-for-winning-the-game/

Michigan continues to ripoff Ohio State tradition for winning 'The Game.'

It’s becoming increasingly evident that the Michiganfootball program has tried to emulate Ohio State more than it will ever admit. From adding signage in the football facilities to embracing ‘The Game’ between the Buckeyes and Wolverines in a more aggressive manner, Jim Harbaugh and company are doing their best to get the upper hand in a rivalry that became one-sided for almost two decades.

For further proof, the Michigan football program shared details of a charm that was designed and handed out to the members of the football team for the win over Ohio State last November. The Wolverines did the same thing the previous year, so apparently, there’s no such thing as imitation being too much of a good thing.

The Buckeyes have been handing out gold charm pants for every victory over Michigan since 1934 and that continues to this day.

Take a look at the front and back of a charm that made the rounds on the Michigan Football Twitter account that commemorated the Wolverines’ second-straight win over Ohio State on the football field.

image.jpeg.eafd135b0027537b1b7314ff452a9270.jpeg

image.jpeg.533ab17f9df7e60089f88b537c081aad.jpeg
I have to admit, this does hurt a little, and here’s to hoping that next season we don’t have to see another version of this ripoff tradition being celebrated on social media.

Maybe Ryan Day can start ripping off awkward press conferences, wearing khakis, and donning a hat with a suit. After all, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:35 AM, Bobref said:

This is a serious accusation. What say you, @temptation?

https://fanrecap.com/michigan-continues-to-ripoff-ohio-state-tradition-for-winning-the-game/

Michigan continues to ripoff Ohio State tradition for winning 'The Game.'

It’s becoming increasingly evident that the Michiganfootball program has tried to emulate Ohio State more than it will ever admit. From adding signage in the football facilities to embracing ‘The Game’ between the Buckeyes and Wolverines in a more aggressive manner, Jim Harbaugh and company are doing their best to get the upper hand in a rivalry that became one-sided for almost two decades.

For further proof, the Michigan football program shared details of a charm that was designed and handed out to the members of the football team for the win over Ohio State last November. The Wolverines did the same thing the previous year, so apparently, there’s no such thing as imitation being too much of a good thing.

The Buckeyes have been handing out gold charm pants for every victory over Michigan since 1934 and that continues to this day.

Take a look at the front and back of a charm that made the rounds on the Michigan Football Twitter account that commemorated the Wolverines’ second-straight win over Ohio State on the football field.

image.jpeg.eafd135b0027537b1b7314ff452a9270.jpeg

image.jpeg.533ab17f9df7e60089f88b537c081aad.jpeg
I have to admit, this does hurt a little, and here’s to hoping that next season we don’t have to see another version of this ripoff tradition being celebrated on social media.

Maybe Ryan Day can start ripping off awkward press conferences, wearing khakis, and donning a hat with a suit. After all, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Win the game and you can do whatever you wish…the Michigan marching band was the first to perform “Script Ohio” after all…

https://library.osu.edu/site/osuvsmichigan/script-ohio/

Turn about is fair play?

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Win the game and you can do whatever you wish…the Michigan marching band was the first to perform “Script Ohio” after all…

https://library.osu.edu/site/osuvsmichigan/script-ohio/

Turn about is fair play?

And the first use of the “winged” helmet design was by … The Ohio State University.

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/michigan-state-football-jersey-helmet/winged-helmet/