Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 College Football Off Season

Irishman

Just now, Bobref said:

And the first use of the “winged” helmet design was by … The Ohio State University.

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/michigan-state-football-jersey-helmet/winged-helmet/

And “Carmen Ohio” was written on the ride home from an 86-0 Michigan shellacking in 1902.

We could go back and forth all day.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bobref said:

There have been a few Eagles who have flown north over the years, starting with my classmate, Jim Lyall, back in the 70s.081728DB-85DB-4057-BB57-BE0B5F410EE4.thumb.png.abfdf470ccc0f18ecfb610cb23fed18d.png.

Wins on the field translating to wins on the recruiting trail…just pulled the Moeller RB who was O$U’s top target on the board.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, temptation said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Roebuck-46127618/

The best players in Ohio go to MICHIGAN…right Bobby?

On 3/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, temptation said:

Wins on the field translating to wins on the recruiting trail…just pulled the Moeller RB who was O$U’s top target on the board.

These twins from St. Edward just committed to the Buckeyes. After all, today is “Two for Tuesday.”

CCF8266D-B09D-40A3-BA51-0713123FCC40.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

These twins from St. Edward just committed to the Buckeyes. After all, today is “Two for Tuesday.”

CCF8266D-B09D-40A3-BA51-0713123FCC40.webp

Well played sir…rumor has it my guys are making in roads at Glenville for the first time in forever.  Michigan rarely, if ever gets kids from there.

Just glad the rivalry is fun again…Thanksgiving was getting depressing there for a while.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Can someone explain the new clock rule? Is it just the clock keeps running after first downs now like the NFL or is there more?

Clock continues to run after 1st downs except inside of 2 mins in a half.

• Thanks 1

Purdue QB Brady Allen enters transfer portal a second time: https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2023/04/25/purdue-qb-brady-allen-enters-transfer-portal-a-second-time/70151477007/

For the second time in five months, Brady Allen is in the transfer portal.

The freshman quarterback entered the portal in December before withdrawing and going through Purdue football spring camp.

Allen won Indiana's 2021 Mr. Football award after leading Gibson Southern to a Class 3A state championship.

He played in one game at Purdue, going 1-for-3 for 8 yards against Indiana State during what became a redshirt season last fall.

Allen's initial entry into the transfer portal came when the Boilermakers nabbed Hudson Card from Texas in the portal. Card was Purdue's No. 1 quarterback throughout spring camp.

Allen, meanwhile, was entrenched in a battle for the backup quarterback role. In the final spring practice last Saturday, true freshman Ryan Browne took second-team reps.

Allen maintains four years of eligibility.

Trading Indiana High School Football Royalty for D1 Program Mediocrity is a tough pill to swallow.  I hope Mr. Allen can find a happy home somewhere.

17 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Purdue QB Brady Allen enters transfer portal a second time: https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2023/04/25/purdue-qb-brady-allen-enters-transfer-portal-a-second-time/70151477007/

Trading Indiana High School Football Royalty for D1 Program Mediocrity is a tough pill to swallow.  I hope Mr. Allen can find a happy home somewhere.

Seemed inevitable. Sounds like he was QB #3 coming out of Spring. I know nothing about QB #2 other than he won an 8A Title in Florida. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Seemed inevitable. Sounds like he was QB #3 coming out of Spring. I know nothing about QB #2 other than he won an 8A Title in Florida. 

I'm not the least bit upset.  I think Hudson Card will do great things and Ryan Browne should be a good backup.  Marco Davila, a top-respect from Texas, is a commit for next year.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Colorado votes to leave the PAC 12 for the Big 12 after this coming season. Would the last one out of the PAC 12 please turn out the lights?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38083687/colorado-board-formalizes-move-pac-12-big-12

that was an interesting move....a couple of years ago, most thought the Big 12 was dead....now that has changed.  PAC 12, 108 year old conference looks to be on the ropes.  

Guessing Oregon and Wash is heading to the Big 10....other predicted moves?  Arizona, ASU. and Utah moving to the Big 12?  Stanford?  Cal??  

A couple things....I think the conference needs to just do away with the conference championship game. It could impact seeding in the expanded playoff. While I don't think it is likely, a loss in that game could knock a team out of the playoff. The potential exists for teams meeting each other 2 or even 3 times. 

Similar to pro sports….you let these gambling sites advertise and sponsor your league or games, trouble follows. We even get live in game odds as part of the pre game show and intermission in every game we see now. And now that this is happening, it becomes that much more difficult to reign in. 
https://brobible.com/sports/article/iowa-kicker-aaron-blom-accused-of-betting-on-hawkeyes-games-using-his-moms-account/ 

Not sure I agree with everything in the article, but it’s nice to see.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3477297/in-the-end-notre-dame-is-the-only-major-football-institution-with-any-integrity

In The End, Notre Dame Is The Only Major Football Institution With Any Integrity

Every single thing we love about College Football has been destroyed by the almighty dollar. The pageantry, the tradition, the regionality, the rivalries, the fact that conference championship was possible and everything for schools like Iowa, Washington State, Oregon State, Purdue, Texas Tech. One magical season for a mid-tier program could sustain a fan base for a generation. Those dream seasons are dead because Purdue might be able to put it all together to win a BigTen league in a year where they catch Michigan and Ohio State in a down year, but the idea that they could somehow finish ahead of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Oregon feels impossible. And yet it is still better to be Purdue than Cal, Oregon State, or Washington State today. 

All of these schools are racing to get the biggest cash grab possible by leaving 150+ years of tradition in the trash while also maintaining their non-profit tax exempt status. Joke. 

In the face of all of that there was one single school that said NO. We will not sell our soul, our mission, our identity, or our fans out for a few extra dollars. That hero who wanted to preserve college football and prevent it from becoming just a semi-amateur minor league NFL is Notre Dame. Every single one of these mega conferences has approached Notre Dame over the years. The BigTen now makes more sense than ever because ND's primary rival, USC,  is now somehow a midwestern school. Even with the promise of HUGE money, bigger money than they could get on their own, and the preservation of their national schedule, Notre Dame still said no. 

Notre Dame will remain independent. They will remain Notre Dame. They will play who they want and when they want. They will keep their integrity because they know an extra few million bucks a year doesn't really change anything for the positive. 

How much would Oregon fans pay per year to have a chance at a conference title and an annual game against Oregon State? Probably not worth it to the average fan an alumni. Worth millions to the administration who will line their own pockets with the extra cash though. I remember that phrase "too big to fail" from the 2008 financial crisis. I also think there is an idea that some things are so big that they have to fail. It's impossible to keep connection to what was special to begin with. Ultimately, I think we will see a decline in interest in college football. There's a reason why it's not as popular in the Northeast. The Northeast never had an real football tradition. No regional rivalries. No real conference. Now that is the case for most places. I think you'll see decline in interest of the schools that got left behind and then also the schools that will inevitably be left at the bottom of these leagues every year. It might take a generation for those predictions to come through, but college football won't have the same grip on America that it used to. 

People have been hating on Notre Dame for my entire life. They have probably been hating on them since Knute Rockne invented the forward pass. People can continue to hate them because that is what college football should be about, but they can't deny that ND recognizes that their program is more than just a money making machine. That their tradition can't simply be bought at this point. Somethings shouldn't change and bigger/more isn't always better. Notre Dame refuses to go with the flow and follow the money and everyone should respect them for that

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Not sure I agree with everything in the article, but it’s nice to see.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3477297/in-the-end-notre-dame-is-the-only-major-football-institution-with-any-integrity

In The End, Notre Dame Is The Only Major Football Institution With Any Integrity

Every single thing we love about College Football has been destroyed by the almighty dollar. The pageantry, the tradition, the regionality, the rivalries, the fact that conference championship was possible and everything for schools like Iowa, Washington State, Oregon State, Purdue, Texas Tech. One magical season for a mid-tier program could sustain a fan base for a generation. Those dream seasons are dead because Purdue might be able to put it all together to win a BigTen league in a year where they catch Michigan and Ohio State in a down year, but the idea that they could somehow finish ahead of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Oregon feels impossible. And yet it is still better to be Purdue than Cal, Oregon State, or Washington State today. 

All of these schools are racing to get the biggest cash grab possible by leaving 150+ years of tradition in the trash while also maintaining their non-profit tax exempt status. Joke. 

In the face of all of that there was one single school that said NO. We will not sell our soul, our mission, our identity, or our fans out for a few extra dollars. That hero who wanted to preserve college football and prevent it from becoming just a semi-amateur minor league NFL is Notre Dame. Every single one of these mega conferences has approached Notre Dame over the years. The BigTen now makes more sense than ever because ND's primary rival, USC,  is now somehow a midwestern school. Even with the promise of HUGE money, bigger money than they could get on their own, and the preservation of their national schedule, Notre Dame still said no. 

Notre Dame will remain independent. They will remain Notre Dame. They will play who they want and when they want. They will keep their integrity because they know an extra few million bucks a year doesn't really change anything for the positive. 

How much would Oregon fans pay per year to have a chance at a conference title and an annual game against Oregon State? Probably not worth it to the average fan an alumni. Worth millions to the administration who will line their own pockets with the extra cash though. I remember that phrase "too big to fail" from the 2008 financial crisis. I also think there is an idea that some things are so big that they have to fail. It's impossible to keep connection to what was special to begin with. Ultimately, I think we will see a decline in interest in college football. There's a reason why it's not as popular in the Northeast. The Northeast never had an real football tradition. No regional rivalries. No real conference. Now that is the case for most places. I think you'll see decline in interest of the schools that got left behind and then also the schools that will inevitably be left at the bottom of these leagues every year. It might take a generation for those predictions to come through, but college football won't have the same grip on America that it used to. 

People have been hating on Notre Dame for my entire life. They have probably been hating on them since Knute Rockne invented the forward pass. People can continue to hate them because that is what college football should be about, but they can't deny that ND recognizes that their program is more than just a money making machine. That their tradition can't simply be bought at this point. Somethings shouldn't change and bigger/more isn't always better. Notre Dame refuses to go with the flow and follow the money and everyone should respect them for that

IOnly one sport is not in a Conference and they just happen to have their own network deal. But, their program is more than just a money making machine? I’ll believe that line when they drop football all together or down a Division instead of being forced into a Conference. 

9 hours ago, Boilernation said:

IOnly one sport is not in a Conference and they just happen to have their own network deal. But, their program is more than just a money making machine? I’ll believe that line when they drop football all together or down a Division instead of being forced into a Conference. 

Perhaps you aren’t aware that, at Notre Dame, Athletic Dept. revenue doesn’t stay in the Athletic Department. It goes to the University’s General Fund where it is distributed to many worthwhile programs, such as financial aid for minority students. Drop football, or dramatically reduce revenue, and those programs suffer.