Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Finals Attendance

13 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Did they ever announce what the attendance was for Friday and Saturday?

Saw an article that popped up today on IndyStar, but was behind a firewall.  Might have numbers in it based on the title: "Insider: What we learned from Indiana high school football state finals weekend."

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrFFkVrzoRjOUU5zB1XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj/RV=2/RE=1669676780/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.indystar.com%2fstory%2fsports%2fhigh-school%2f2022%2f11%2f28%2findiana-high-school-football-what-we-learned-from-ihsaa-state-finals-2022-center-grove-east-central%2f69677059007%2f/RK=2/RS=Y7zhQy7AlarCJWDJOfPMzGpEZWs-

From that Indy Star article concerning attendance:

The attendance for Friday’s three games was 17,834 and Saturday was 20,004 for a two-day total of 37,838. That total is toward the lower end of the scale since the sixth class was added (top is 46,455 in 2016), though the 5A game had a massive crowd from Whiteland (and a good one from Valparaiso, too) probably saved the overall numbers a bit.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the early start time helped.  Friday's first game featured two teams from the Central time zone - Mater Dei and Andrean. That 10 AM start almost required a hotel stay the night before and prevented the drive-up crowd.  

For as much as we may not like the Center Grove vs Carmel/Westfield state finals, the ticket office certainly does.  Looking at 2014 - Ben Davis/Carmel, Cathedral (5A), New Pal (4A), and Tri-West (3A) all featured very drivable fan bases.   

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don't think the early start time helped.  Friday's first game featured two teams from the Central time zone - Mater Dei and Andrean. That 10 AM start almost required a hotel stay the night before and prevented the drive-up crowd.     

There have been previous discussions about re-sequencing the state finals games based on multiple games involving teams from the same geographical area.  It never gained traction. 

But, situations like the one above could have been recognized immediately after the semi-state games and a schedule adjustment for the finals could have been made accordingly. 

As mentioned in a previous post, cost three of us to go live for one game $67.  (via Ticketmaster and their fees)  Could have streamed for a much lower cost to watch from home with replays and the ability to relax with a beverage or two.  Cheaper food prices as well.  

Almost becoming an incentive to stay at home and watch. I am hoping the IHSAA is looking hard at this....perhaps the overall revenues are higher with the number of people buying the TV/streaming service.  Not sure.  

24 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

As mentioned in a previous post, cost three of us to go live for one game $67.  (via Ticketmaster and their fees)  Could have streamed for a much lower cost to watch from home with replays and the ability to relax with a beverage or two.  Cheaper food prices as well.  

Almost becoming an incentive to stay at home and watch. I am hoping the IHSAA is looking hard at this....perhaps the overall revenues are higher with the number of people buying the TV/streaming service.  Not sure.  

Strictly my personal opinion, but I don’t find it useful to compare costs like that…because the experiences are not comparable. Two totally different animals. For me, the question is which do I like better, and is it worth the cost, including the investment of my time.

If you got something like this in 2024...you could break 50k attendance.  I'm taking some liberties with how SF and sectional assignments might go....

• 6A: HCC vs HCC
  • 5A: Harrison vs Whiteland
  • 4A: Chatard vs Roncalli 
  • 3A: WL vs MD
  • 2A: Luers vs Lutheran
  • A: AC vs ND

Lots of potential "firsts"....schools that are in the metro, near I-65/70/69 etc.....and schools that just travel well.

Edited by US31

3 minutes ago, US31 said:

If you got something like this in 2024...you could break 50k attendance.  I'm taking some liberties with how SF and sectional assignments might go....

Lots of potential "firsts"....schools that are in the metro, near I-65/70/69 etc.....and schools that just travel well.

Cue @Lysanderas to why that could never happen.

2 hours ago, US31 said:

Harrison and Whiteland are likely to be 6A by 2024.  At least Harrison would be.  Harrison would have been 6A this go-round except for Cathedral being bumped to 6A.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Sectional 28 ... 4A version.

Strictly my personal opinion, but I don’t find it useful to compare costs like that…because the experiences are not comparable. Two totally different animals. For me, the question is which do I like better, and is it worth the cost, including the investment of my time.

As you stated, your opinion.  While they are different, they each off pros and cons.  I may always prefer being there  in person, but I don't always make the decision to do so.

My retirement career might be the economics officer for sectional assignment committee at IHSAA….

No one on North Meridian can foresee that insanity that a Chatard/Roncalli State Championship would be??? 💵💵💵

They’d fill the whole lower bowl.  Bud Wright wouldn’t have anywhere to sit in the endzone!!!🤣🤣

43 minutes ago, US31 said:

My retirement career might be the economics officer for sectional assignment committee at IHSAA….

No one on North Meridian can foresee that insanity that a Chatard/Roncalli State Championship would be??? 💵💵💵

They’d fill the whole lower bowl.  Bud Wright wouldn’t have anywhere to sit in the endzone!!!🤣🤣

It's not that it wouldn't be a good idea, it's that, invariably, the IHSAA would put them both in the same sectional like they did last go-round ... that's why Chatard's back down in 3A this season.

56 minutes ago, US31 said:

Sort of goes against the notion that it’s all about the $$, doesn’t it?

7 hours ago, US31 said:

Looks like you are expecting Center Grove to join the HCC.  Bold prediction, Cotton.  Let's see if it pays off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2