Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Something to chew on

4 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

I have noted a national trend to seeding the final four of each class.    After this weekend's finals where only one game could be considered competitive, perhaps it is something to chew on.

I understand this sentiment, but I do like the idea of a "north/south" meeting at the state championship.

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I understand this sentiment, but I do like the idea of a "north/south" meeting at the state championship.

I'd like to see a 3 year rotation at semi state. Year 1 NW vs NE & SW vs SE; Year 2 NW vs SE & NE vs SW; Year 3 NW vs SW & NE vs SE.

24 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Agree. Even if the top teams are on the same side of the bracket, they have to play each other to earn the right to play in the championship game. 

4 minutes ago, HomeCookin said:

Agree. Even if the top teams are on the same side of the bracket, they have to play each other to earn the right to play in the championship game. 

Wonder if this possibly gets some folks to maybe attend the semis as a state final in some cases.  I recall back in 2011, LCC played Sheridan for semi-state.  Though the final score was 17-0, that game was in question even entering the 4th quarter.  No disrespect to Scecina, and that state game was fun to watch, but I felt that the state championship game that season was LCC vs. Sheridan in semi-state.  Back in 2009, LCC and Pioneer squared off in the first game of sectionals and they were ranked #2 and #1, respectively, in 1A that year.  Final score was 20-0, but again, in question going into the 4th.  That game was probably the state championship game that year.  And that LCC/Pioneer squaring off in sectionals when both were ranked Top 5 in the season happened more than once or twice.

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

I'd like to see a 3 year rotation at semi state. Year 1 NW vs NE & SW vs SE; Year 2 NW vs SE & NE vs SW; Year 3 NW vs SW & NE vs SE.

I would think this would be an easier sell than seeding.  Most football coaches I know are extreme creatures of habit.  After winning sectional and regional, I can't imagine the irritation of waiting until mid-morning/afternoon Saturday to find out who they will play the next Friday.  I just think seeding the sectional Top 2 would have to happen before seeding after the sectional would be a palatable suggestion. 

Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, and Soccer (at least I think) do get Semi-State placements after regionals, but the teams already know who they will play.  That's the big difference. 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Wonder if this possibly gets some folks to maybe attend the semis as a state final in some cases.  I recall back in 2011, LCC played Sheridan for semi-state.  Though the final score was 17-0, that game was in question even entering the 4th quarter.  No disrespect to Scecina, and that state game was fun to watch, but I felt that the state championship game that season was LCC vs. Sheridan in semi-state.  Back in 2009, LCC and Pioneer squared off in the first game of sectionals and they were ranked #2 and #1, respectively, in 1A that year.  Final score was 20-0, but again, in question going into the 4th.  That game was probably the state championship game that year.  And that LCC/Pioneer squaring off in sectionals when both were ranked Top 5 in the season happened more than once or twice.

This season you had Roncalli vs EC and CG vs Cathedral in semi state. Many consider those games to be the true state championship, and it played out that way. Although Cathedral’s score wasn’t much better than Carroll’s it was a closer game. 

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

I have noted a national trend to seeding the final four of each class.    After this weekend's finals where only one game could be considered competitive, perhaps it is something to chew on.

Only one game was competitive? MD won by 10. Lawrenceburg was leading at Halftime. Those may not have come down to the wire, but they were competitive. 

1 minute ago, vicvinegar said:

Only one game was competitive? MD won by 10. Lawrenceburg was leading at Halftime. Those may not have come down to the wire, but they were competitive. 

I didn't get to watch the Lawrenceburg game but was in attendance for the MD game. I know it was a 10 point spread but it wasn't really competitive.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, who had the bright idea of Linton vs Lapel & Triton Central vs Mater Dei this year? Why wasn't it Linton vs Mater Dei & Triton Central vs Lapel for travel purposes?

1 hour ago, vicvinegar said:

Agree to disagree.    MD was in control from the opening bell and Lawrenceburg was overwhelmed in the second half.   Lutheran was a walk through, Center Grove beat Carroll into submission, and I do know how New Prairie loss one game and made the finals.   Outside of the 5A game, the rest of the weekend was a snooze fest.

6 minutes ago, coachkj said:

Didn't feel like one from our sidelines.

Congrats again. Not often do we see our Jets get beat at the line of scrimmage like that. I had a bad feeling the replacement(s) due to injuries in our secondary would get picked on and they did. Sometimes it's good to get humbled like we did. No offense to our players & coaches as I'm proud of all them and glad they're on our team. Just acknowledging that sometimes there is someone who does it better occasionally. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Basementbias said:

I think neutral site semi-states would need to happen before this could work.  In 2A under this plan, Andrean/Mater Dei could potentially be a semi-state game and either of those teams being able to host should be taken away as a possibility since it involves a 5 hour (one way) bus trip.

2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Speaking of which, who had the bright idea of Linton vs Lapel & Triton Central vs Mater Dei this year? Why wasn't it Linton vs Mater Dei & Triton Central vs Lapel for travel purposes?

This was poorly done by the alignment committee for 2A, then rubber stamped by the IHSAA leadership.  To be fair, I think you would be able to make the same criticism with some of the semi-state matchups that would happen in your alternative plan.  People would wonder why Valpo plays Castle and Whiteland plays Snider.

13 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

I think neutral site semi-states would need to happen before this could work.  In 2A under this plan, Andrean/Mater Dei could potentially be a semi-state game and either of those teams being able to host should be taken away as a possibility since it involves a 5 hour (one way) bus trip.

This was poorly done by the alignment committee for 2A, then rubber stamped by the IHSAA leadership.  To be fair, I think you would be able to make the same criticism with some of the semi-state matchups that would happen in your alternative plan.  People would wonder why Valpo plays Castle and Whiteland plays Snider.

Difference is those were regional games and not semi states though. That's my point. Those proposed would be with neutral sites for sure.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, HomeCookin said:

This season you had Roncalli vs EC and CG vs Cathedral in semi state. Many consider those games to be the true state championship, and it played out that way. Although Cathedral’s score wasn’t much better than Carroll’s it was a closer game. 

Cathedral played in some really tough (cold, windy) weather for passing well against CG. And they have some high level players for passing. 

Having seen Carroll and NP in finals, it was as many have noted, no surprise what happened.  Although, I watched the first two scores for EC and turned off particularly perplexed by the defensive plan of NP, which EC exposed. That nine man box overloaded to short side reminded me of when Johnny Carson would parody Robert Conrad in those battery commercials daring you to knock that battery off his shoulder.

I have been thinking about this for awhile but the regular season in Indiana means absolutely nothing unless your going for a conference title. From classes A-4! There is roughly 8 teams per sectional what’s wrong with saying the playoffs will be the top 4 teams from each sectionals. That way we avoid having matchups like Lutheran vs Cloverdale. I just think it would make the regular season mean a little more maybe there’s a better to it. Also i think they should flip the class like how the set 32 teams for 6A make 1A set first then trickle down to 6A maybe Whiteland could have competed at the 6A level. Just my two cents gain this maybe isn’t a good idea but the IHSAA does need to rethink its structure for football.

41 minutes ago, GroundSquirrel said:

I have been thinking about this for awhile but the regular season in Indiana means absolutely nothing unless your going for a conference title. From classes A-4! There is roughly 8 teams per sectional what’s wrong with saying the playoffs will be the top 4 teams from each sectionals. That way we avoid having matchups like Lutheran vs Cloverdale. I just think it would make the regular season mean a little more maybe there’s a better to it. Also i think they should flip the class like how the set 32 teams for 6A make 1A set first then trickle down to 6A maybe Whiteland could have competed at the 6A level. Just my two cents gain this maybe isn’t a good idea but the IHSAA does need to rethink its structure for football.

Those are great ideas. I'm surprised nobody has brought them up here before. @Bobref...do you think this may be something to consider and propose to the IHSAA?

Seriously, I do like both of these ideas for the reasons you state. I would even be open to 6 teams per sectional so that 4-5 or 3-6 team that struggled due to injuries or competition level gets a chance. 1 and 2 get byes and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in the first round. The best way to do this of course would be to align your regular season schedule with your sectional teams. That way the seeding it based on actual results. If you don't want to have all rematches in the sectional round, pair 2 sectionals together and play cross sectional the first 3/4 rounds. I don't expect we'll ever see something like that though.

8 hours ago, JustRules said: @Bobref...do you think this may be something to consider and propose to the IHSAA?

I’m happy to pass along suggestions about rules or officiating-related topics. But on something like this, my opinion carries no more weight than that of any other fan. I try to stay in my lane.