Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Congrats!! And breaking news!!

21 hours ago, foxbat said:

People leave p/p education much more often for public pastures than I think folks realize.  I've posted a few times on the p/p "break" points in education.  A break during high school is less likely than the other break points ... after K/1st, after 2nd/3rd grade, after 6th/7th grade, and after 8th grade ... but it does happen and is more common than folks might think.  In my experience, the flow OUT of p/p to public often nets out in favor of the public schools in terms of bodies.  The main reason that you don't hear about it as often is that, in the scheme of things you typically only hear about it with sports, but I can almost say that for every one student-athlete that you hear that leaves a p/p in high school, I bet there are at least another 3-4 non-athletes that you don't hear about.

This is true. I went to a Catholic school K-8. Most Catholic H.S. cost more than Catholic K-8. My parents couldn't afford it. 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, foxbat said:

People leave p/p education much more often for public pastures than I think folks realize.  I've posted a few times on the p/p "break" points in education.  A break during high school is less likely than the other break points ... after K/1st, after 2nd/3rd grade, after 6th/7th grade, and after 8th grade ... but it does happen and is more common than folks might think.  In my experience, the flow OUT of p/p to public often nets out in favor of the public schools in terms of bodies.  The main reason that you don't hear about it as often is that, in the scheme of things you typically only hear about it with sports, but I can almost say that for every one student-athlete that you hear that leaves a p/p in high school, I bet there are at least another 3-4 non-athletes that you don't hear about.

I thought of some more Catholics that ended up at Jeff or Harrison.

Larry Larrabee - Assistant basketball coach at Jeff in the 1980's.  His son Mike also played basketball at Jeff in the late 1980's.

Tim Rody - Played football at Jeff 1981-1982.

The Yeoman twins - Basketball stars on the Harrison girls team 1985-1986.

Vince and Andrew Harris- Played football at Jeff in the 1990's.

Here are some other names.  I don't know if they played sports, but they were Catholic and went to Jeff.

Vince Larrabee

Jennifer Dillard

Mike Petgen

Rebecca Knoy

Brian Clark

Autumn Sowders

I am sure I will think of more names later.

On 11/29/2022 at 3:26 PM, foxbat said:

I believe that the rumor I'd heard is that Vlahogeorge and Keller attended Catholic elementary schools before settling at Jeff.  Don't know if anyone can confirm or not.

They led the state in passing their senior year..honestly wouldn't be shocked if they were cyo kids..Keller probably always played on Sundays 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

They led the state in passing their senior year..honestly wouldn't be shocked if they were cyo kids..Keller probably always played on Sundays 

LCC could have used them in 2002 ... didn't even make it to the sectional championship that year.

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

LCC could have used them in 2002 ... didn't even make it to the sectional championship that year.

All-State Football Players for Lafayette Jeff that were Catholic and members of St. Lawrence church.

Jason Sowders 1992

Brett Rhatigan 2000

McCutcheon All-State Player that was Catholic

Clayton Richard 2000, 2001, 2002

LCC could have used all of those players.  Someday I might have a complete list. I'm sure there are 100 other names that I don't know about right now.

Families have a tough choice to make.  Some just can't afford parochial/private schools, and other just choose to send their kids to public schools for many reasons, some of the reasons being due to no tuition.  Sometimes the families let the students make the decision.

3 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Families have a tough choice to make.  Some just can't afford parochial/private schools, and other just choose to send their kids to public schools for many reasons, some of the reasons being due to no tuition.  Sometimes the families let the students make the decision.

That's what we've done with our kids every year since the oldest was around 6th grade.  Each year we ask them if they want to continue where they are or look at a different option.  Sometimes we've had some decide to return back to homeschooling full-time and, in other cases, when they get to high school, they get the option of doing homeschooling full-time, part-time, or not at all and, if they want part-time or not at all they get to select the school they want to attend ... although a couple of schools won't allow them to attend part-time homeschooled.

26 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Pretty sure that's not the case, though I think he played 1 year for LCC's Jr. High team (could be wrong though).

Clayton Richard was Catholic.  PM me if you want to know how I know he was Catholic.

5 hours ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Pretty sure that's not the case, though I think he played 1 year for LCC's Jr. High team (could be wrong though).

4 hours ago, Tippy said:

Clayton Richard was Catholic.  PM me if you want to know how I know he was Catholic.

There are actually a few kids that played LCC youth and junior high football that then ended up at other schools in the area ... in part because they WEREN'T Catholic.  Schools like Faith Christian and St. James Lutheran didn't/don't have youth football or high school football, so the LCC program became a place where kids without a school football program could come to play ... at least until high school.  Same with homeschooled kids too.  Some of those kids ended up heading to public schools after their time at Faith, St. James, or homeschooling and ended up being strong contributors to those programs and also played in college too.  Of course, there's a fair share of Catholic school kids that ended up at those public schools too.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

There are actually a few kids that played LCC youth and junior high football that then ended up at other schools in the area ... in part because they WEREN'T Catholic.  Schools like Faith Christian and St. James Lutheran didn't/don't have youth football or high school football, so the LCC program became a place where kids without a school football program could come to play ... at least until high school.  Same with homeschooled kids too.  Some of those kids ended up heading to public schools after their time at Faith, St. James, or homeschooling and ended up being strong contributors to those programs and also played in college too.  Of course, there's a fair share of Catholic school kids that ended up at those public schools too.

All the names I have put on here were Catholic at one time.  I don't know if they still are Catholic.  A lot of people leave the Church.

40 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Right after they get that blue ring and medal? lol 

All the names I put on here were Catholic and played or coached at public schools, mostly at Lafayette Jeff.  The only one that got a blue ring and medal was the Jeff baseball coach when Jeff won state in 1969 and 1973.  Many Catholics don't go to LCC, they go to Jeff.  Jeff must have really had an advantage before 1958 when all the Catholic boys in Lafayette had to go to Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tippy said:

No, I didn't think I should be talking about this sort of thing on here.  I can talk more about the Catholic church if you are interested.

Sorry. I didn't mean any offense. I believe I'm banned from the Catholic Church but enjoy my weekly discussions with priests on the sidelines of football games. Good people. 

15 hours ago, Tippy said:

All the names I put on here were Catholic and played or coached at public schools, mostly at Lafayette Jeff.  The only one that got a blue ring and medal was the Jeff baseball coach when Jeff won state in 1969 and 1973.  Many Catholics don't go to LCC, they go to Jeff.  Jeff must have really had an advantage before 1958 when all the Catholic boys in Lafayette had to go to Jeff.

I'd imagine if this were still the case, Jeff would have a lot more seasons like the one they had this year. 

58 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I'd imagine if this were still the case, Jeff would have a lot more seasons like the one they had this year. 

I don't know the number of Catholics that went to Jeff in the 1980's and 1990's, so I don't know if there are more or less today.  There are many Catholics at Jeff that don't play football.  I just know a lot of Catholics that went to Jeff over the years and some of them were very good baseball, football, and basketball players.

9 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Sorry. I didn't mean any offense. I believe I'm banned from the Catholic Church but enjoy my weekly discussions with priests on the sidelines of football games. Good people. 

I knew you were just giving me a hard time. lol  Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

I don't know the number of Catholics that went to Jeff in the 1980's and 1990's, so I don't know if there are more or less today.  There are many Catholics at Jeff that don't play football.  I just know a lot of Catholics that went to Jeff over the years and some of them were very good baseball, football, and basketball players.

There are a couple of issues here.  First, realize that LCC is one of only two high schools for the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana.  That diocese stretches from the Illinois border to the Ohio border and up to Demotte in the north and down to Carmel in the south.  Guerin's the other school.   While LCC is a mile down the road from Jeff, there are families that attend LCC that are spread out all over the area ... McCutcheon, Harrison, West Lafayette, and Jeff here in town as well as folks from Attica, Delphi, Brookston, and probably other areas too.  While Jeff would get some of those kids, and did get some of those kids over the years, there are other schools that would have "split those resources." 

In the early 80s, I believe that LCC was a larger school than it is today.  Realize that, back in 1990, the diocese announced that it was closing the school due to lack of enrollment, support, and money and it was only due to an 11th-hour appeal that the diocese kept the school open.  LCC's getting closer to 300 students, but it's my understanding that it's still not back to peak numbers since its opening. 

In Tippecanoe county there are some 190,000 people.  About 12% of those are Catholic.  That gives you over 20,000 Catholics just in the county.  By the latest IHSAA numbers, LCC has 296 students.  That's a lot of Catholics roaming public school hallways.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

In Tippecanoe county there are some 190,000 people.  About 12% of those are Catholic.  That gives you over 20,000 Catholics just in the county.  By the latest IHSAA numbers, LCC has 296 students.  That's a lot of Catholics roaming public school hallways.

That will NEVER be accounted for! It is so quick to bring up the "recruiting" aspect even though in Indy recruiting students is a must (see every HS that puts a flyer out. What gets missed is kids that went to P/P elementary yet didn't attend a high school be it feeder or Private. When you talk Indianapolis there are plenty of kids attending Ben Davis, Warren Central, and yes Center Grove that attended a Catholic elementary school that is a feeder to P/P High School it just doesn't get talked about (do to agenda mostly).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...