Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

So, while the debate over recruiting continues ................

13 minutes ago, Grover said:

I'm surprised there are that many parishes that feed into Chatard.  Is that normal?

Depends on the density of the area.  Here in Lafayette, there are six Catholic churches that service the Twin Cities.  St. Mary and St. Boniface are just about five blocks from each other.  St. Lawrence is about a mile and a half from the Cathedral.  St. Ann is about a mile from the Cathedral, and St. Thomas Aquinas is about 2.5 miles from the Cathedral.  Blessed Sacrament is the furthest ... about four miles away.  All six feed into LCC as well as some of the other parishes from areas like Delphi and even Attica.  Of course, those parishes also feed into Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, and West Lafayette too. 

2 hours ago, Grover said:

I'm surprised there are that many parishes that feed into Chatard.  Is that normal?

I count 7 that are not part of the North Deanery;
St. Michael (West), St. Monica (West), St. Susanna (wow, what a drive, but West Deanery), St. Simon moved and was an East Deanery Parish, but the Archdiocese lets them choose Scecina (East Deanery) or Chatard; or at least it did at one time, St. Elizabeth Seton (Lafayette Diocese), St. Barnabas (South), St. Malachy (West)

Including the player from out of State, there are 12 from non feeder schools/parishes. 

Years ago, there was an agreement among the high schools that they would charge a deanery rate for tuition and a rate for students outside the deanery. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Depends on the density of the area.  Here in Lafayette, there are six Catholic churches that service the Twin Cities.  St. Mary and St. Boniface are just about five blocks from each other.  St. Lawrence is about a mile and a half from the Cathedral.  St. Ann is about a mile from the Cathedral, and St. Thomas Aquinas is about 2.5 miles from the Cathedral.  Blessed Sacrament is the furthest ... about four miles away.  All six feed into LCC as well as some of the other parishes from areas like Delphi and even Attica.  Of course, those parishes also feed into Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, and West Lafayette too. 

Here are some more Catholics that lived in Lafayette in the 1980's and 90's and ended up at Jeff.  

Denise Knoth

Veronica Knoth

Julie Jacot

Kristina Brickler

Brian Koning

Rob Larrabee

Monica, Michelle, and David Matheson

Tony Roswarski

Terry Ruppe

Laurie, Shawn and Pat Rody

Ryan Rush

John Deerr (He was QB for the Jeff football team in 1943)

Like I said before, Lafayette Jeff can thank the Catholics for their success in sports.  I always wonder how good LCC would have been if all those Catholics didn't go to Jeff.  It was said in Lafayette during the 1940's, that if the Catholics ever had their own school they could beat Lafayette Jeff.  

6 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The huge advantage 1, 2 and 3A privates have has nothing to do with recruiting or transfers.

LCC has no advantage.  They had bad teams for years.  Many Catholics in the area go to Jeff.  About every 10 years they have some good players come through the system.  I think public schools have gone down hill in the past 50 years, and the Catholic schools haven't changed.  LCC can't seem to beat WL.  Maybe we should just get rid of class sports.  That might make everybody happy.  LCC is in 2a and if they went to 3a they would probably never win.  But that's what some people want.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Tippy said:

LCC has no advantage.  They had bad teams for years.  Many Catholics in the area go to Jeff.  About every 10 years they have some good players come through the system.  I think public schools have gone down hill in the past 50 years, and the Catholic schools haven't changed.  LCC can't seem to beat WL.  Maybe we should just get rid of class sports.  That might make everybody happy.  LCC is in 2a and if they went to 3a they would probably never win.  But that's what some people want.

now were talking lets get rid of all the classes and form one gigantic multi month tournament

I want to see GS run into CG Ben Davis Warren Cathedral New pal Roncalli east central on their way to LOS every year 

then we can see some real tears about competitive advantages

sign me up for this guys idea

Edited by Rodney
because I want to

5 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Since all of the good players are recruited to Private schools does that mean that the All-State teams are full of Private School kids?

Should there be a Mr. Private Football and a Mr. Public Football? 

Is it just coincidence that there is very little talent in the IPS? In Indianapolis you go from one extreme to the other. The privates and suburban schools are the best of the best of what Indiana has to offer..............and the IPS is the worst. Is the talent pool in the IPS being drained? 

@BTF I agree. One of the things that people miss in this entire discussion is that there is a difference between public school education in the city vs rural public schools. There are a lot of parents within the city that choose private school, and make the financial sacrifices, because they want to be free of the agendas of the public school system school boards and also give their kids the best education.  If the experience was similar between public vs private in the city I know I would have chosen to send my kid to public school. Unfortunately, given the level of academic performance of most of the local public schools, sending a kid with college aspirations there would be akin to child neglect. 

I attended a rural public school and my wife attended an urban public school (Both 40 years ago). Our choice, all things being equal, would have been to send our kids to public school. The education, though, has no comparison. With education being the primary driver of parental decision, extracurricular activities become a bonus. If parents are already choosing to put their kids into a new school should they be faulted for choosing the one that will also give their kid the best athletic experience as well?

i would propose that private schools don’t recruit but they do benefit greatly from such a poor private school experience that drives some parents/kids to the private system.  Maybe, if public schools should be bumped up a classification, city schools should be bumped down one. After all, they are losing the talent so maybe it would allow them to also be competitive. Maybe there should be a component that also takes into consideration kids that transfer into or out of a school district.  

A big problem with this issue, and one that limits creative solutions is that private school parents are made out to be championship trophy chasers. Acknowledging that both sides have valid issues would go a long way toward resolving this issue. That being said, the whole system stinks. There is no good solution. Someone will always be unhappy. Competitive balance will never exist. My opinion is worthless. I hope this whole issue is a minor one in everyone’s life and that the kids all grow up to be happy, healthy adults who get to make these choices and participate in these discussions for their own children. Until then lets revisit it every year. We can make it a holiday tradition. After all, tradition never graduates. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Is it just coincidence that there is very little talent in the IPS? In Indianapolis you go from one extreme to the other. The privates and suburban schools are the best of the best of what Indiana has to offer..............and the IPS is the worst. Is the talent pool in the IPS being drained

It is not coincidental that there is very little talent in IPS (with the exception of basketball). The IPS education system has been very bad for several years. There are long standing High Schools that have closed, re-opened, and even been repurposed to middle schools. Howe and Washington have closed re-opened and I think Howe is closed again. Arlington closed has now become a middle school. Northwest has closed and become a middle school. Broad Ripple has closed. It has been a mess.

The talent pool from IPS has been drained, but it has been getting drained for YEARS dating back to busing to Township schools (Ben Davis, Warren Central, etc). It isn't just a recent thing it has been going on dating back to the late 80's early 90's.

1 minute ago, FastpacedO said:

It is not coincidental that there is very little talent in IPS (with the exception of basketball). The IPS education system has been very bad for several years. There are long standing High Schools that have closed, re-opened, and even been repurposed to middle schools. Howe and Washington have closed re-opened and I think Howe is closed again. Arlington closed has now become a middle school. Northwest has closed and become a middle school. Broad Ripple has closed. It has been a mess.

The talent pool from IPS has been drained, but it has been getting drained for YEARS dating back to busing to Township schools (Ben Davis, Warren Central, etc). It isn't just a recent thing it has been going on dating back to the late 80's early 90's.

Anything that gets kids out of IPS is okay with me but that's a topic for another forum.

• Like 2

Just now, Grover said:

Thanks.  I thought they were broken down to specific high schools rather than just north/south.

They are split to certain HS as feeder schools. West Deanery would be Cardinal Ritter, East would be Scecina Memorial, South Roncalli, and North Bishop Chatard. You also have long standing and legacy students that will go to the 2 Private Catholic schools Brebeuf Jesuit and Cathedral.

Here are all the Deanery's

https://www.archindy.org/parishes/deanery/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tippy said:

Every private has an advantage if you classify by enrollment only.

• Like 2
  • Kill me now 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

They are split to certain HS as feeder schools. West Deanery would be Cardinal Ritter, East would be Scecina Memorial, South Roncalli, and North Bishop Chatard. You also have long standing and legacy students that will go to the 2 Private Catholic schools Brebeuf Jesuit and Cathedral.

Here are all the Deanery's

https://www.archindy.org/parishes/deanery/index.html

Thanks for this.  Interesting information.  We have family in Hamilton County and attend Our Lady of Grace.  I was surprised to find out that was the Lafayette Diocese and Guerin was as well.  

39 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Thanks for this.  Interesting information.  We have family in Hamilton County and attend Our Lady of Grace.  I was surprised to find out that was the Lafayette Diocese and Guerin was as well.  

Also keep in mind Guerin was founded in 2004. So students from many of its feeder schools like: Our Lady of Grace, St Elizabeth Ann Seton, St. Louis de Montfort, St. Maria Goretti have attended Brebeuf Jesuit, Chatard, and Cathedral over the years and some still do. Just like prior to Cathedral becoming a Private school they were a Deanery High School in Dowtown Indianapolis (Opened in 1919) long before the 4 current Deanery schools were built (earliest was Scecina built in the 60's) so there are a lot of legacy students that still attend Cathedral following family footsteps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

The Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana spans A LOT of area ... split into three deaneries, from the Illinois border to the Ohio border.  There are some 24 counties that are part of the diocese.  Of interest though is that the diocese only has two high schools: the older, smaller brother, LCC, in Lafayette and the younger, bigger brother, Guerin, in Noblesville.

Deanery & Pastorate Maps | Diocese of Lafayette | Lafayette, IN

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Is it just coincidence that there is very little talent in the IPS? In Indianapolis you go from one extreme to the other. The privates and suburban schools are the best of the best of what Indiana has to offer..............and the IPS is the worst. Is the talent pool in the IPS being drained? 

I would estimate the number of IPS student athletes in township schools would be at least 10x (conservative estimate) of those in private/parochial schools. 

Catholics have more “athletes per capita” due to all of the calisthenics they do in mass. Stand, sit, kneel, sit, stand, walk to the alter, genuflect, walk back, turn and shake hands, sit, stand…Did I miss any? Now we know the real secret to their success. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2