Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

So, while the debate over recruiting continues ................

5 hours ago, JQWL said:

Whenever I look at our student population, we have some kids in special needs classes that do count towards our enrollment that could never be included in a pool of students involved in extra curriculars. When I pulled up Mater Dei and Providence's faculty members, they do not seem to have a special education department. I think this sir is what you are eluding to. I've coached kids that have had to quit playing football and other sports because they have had to work to help support their family. Probably not a common thing at Mater Dei. All enrollments are not equal.

I don't have a big problem with any school recruiting kids for any reason. I just think everyone should be held to the same set of rules if they are competing against each other. Maybe the IHSAA should set some restrictions on movement such as a student can only have full eligibility for the school they begin the school with, unless there is a physical move. 

The IHSAA has recognized two sports that have "special needs" students as well as non-"special-needs" students, Unified Flag Football and Unified Track and Field.  All students must abide by the eligibility rules.  There are probable more "special-needs" students in athletics that you think.

5 hours ago, tango said:

Give me one good, simple reason why Bishop Chatard should be bumped up from 3A to 4A in boys basketball when they haven't won a 3A sectional since 2004? 

Not to belittle hoops at Chatard, and hopefully things are improving, but Chatard likely couldn’t have won a 2A sectional during that period.

Bumping hoops at Chatard would actually make me consider DT’s call for contraction…at least for hoops.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Not to belittle hoops at Chatard, and hopefully things are improving, but Chatard likely couldn’t have won a 2A sectional during that period.

Bumping hoops at Chatard would actually make me consider DT’s call for contraction…at least for hoops.

With rare exceptions, us too...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Titan32 said:

No argument that Castle punches below its weight.  Sheer numbers should help to offset the P/P enrollment advantage.  My mistake on recent all sports trophies.

I am working on some more concrete data but I am firmly convinced we aren't even close to ERM as NP is no where close to MD.  Just using the eye test over the past decade we put a product on the field probably much closer to MD than we do ERM.  This is why I have never really seen ERM as a "rival" ...more of a goliath that we had a couple opportunities to try and slay.  If they do private right....noone in 3A should be able to touch them under the current broken system.  We all know enrollment alone doesn't consider the student population factors.  We have plenty of soccer only kids....baseball only kids as well (that probably a pretty ubiquitous challenge across publics and privates).....doesn't change the fact we are pulling from a smaller pool of quality success driven student athletes in the building per capita enrollment.

I'm not sure about that statement. Just my opinion from someone who has had experience with both on the football field. 

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

How did Cathedral all of a sudden turn into a basketball power? It seems to have happened over night. 

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

How did Cathedral all of a sudden turn into a basketball power? It seems to have happened over night. 

They didn't just all of a sudden turn into a basketball power. They have had good teams dating back into the early 90's they were over shadowed by great Ben Davis, Pike, Lawrence North, and North Central teams. They had a good team in 2022 and won state and return some very good players this year. They also brought in a really good Coach in Delaney who I think is in his 6th or 7th year

15 hours ago, US31 said:

1.) I would argue that at the lowest levels, (1A-3A) all that has happened is different P/P schools take turns having the advantages.  They yo-yo up and down so often there is always a a p/p school there to take up the advantages in population that P/P's afford over smaller public schools.  Not the best example of "addressing" the situation.

IMHO: There should not be a P/P competing in the 1A tournament. 

I would argue that a one class "bump" for P/P's, combined with SF for all (public & P/P) with a longer SF adjustment (every 4 instead of every 2) would be a great system.

Since the Success Factor (2012)

1A there has been 6 P/P State Champions and 5 Public State Champions

1A there has been 8 P/P teams in the State Finals and 14 Public teams in the State Finals

2A there has been 5 P/P State Champions 6 Public State Champions

2A there has been 10 P/P teams in the State Finals and 12 Public teams in the State Finals

As for the there should not be a P/P competing in the 1 A tournament. I would put Adams Central against Oldenburg Academy any day and over the last 10 years would bet Oldenburg would be fortunate to score points. The problem is there is a skewed view looking at the successful P/P but there are P/P that don't share that same success.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

1A there has been 8 P/P teams in the State Finals and 14 Public teams in the State Finals

2A there has been 10 P/P teams in the State Finals and 12 Public teams in the State Finals

As for the there should not be a P/P competing in the 1 A tournament. I would put Adams Central against Oldenburg Academy any day and over the last 10 years would bet Oldenburg would be fortunate to score points. The problem is there is a skewed view looking at the successful P/P but there are P/P that don't share that same success.

Does Oldenburg even play football? Not on Harrells and only played like 6 games in 2021. All the struggling P/Ps seemed to have dropped or went 8 man (Rock Creek).

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

But what percentage of all the schools in 1A and 2A are P/P schools?  10%? 5%?  There is the key.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WWFan said:

Does Oldenburg even play football? Not on Harrells and only played like 6 games in 2021. All the struggling P/Ps seemed to have dropped or went 8 man (Rock Creek).

They do not anymore, but did field a football team. I was making a basic point with that. Oldenburg was low on the enrollment of 1A and Adams Central towards the top of enrollment. By the statement made their enrollment should be more because of their advantages. 

15 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Would caution about categorizing Cathedral as a basketball powerhouse. They've always had "good teams" over the years but only one team a year gets out of sectional with LN, LC, Warren, North Central, Tech, and Attucks. Cathedral has the #1 recruit in the country right now which obviously would make any team a state title contender. Before last year, Cathedral had lost every opening round sectional game since Delaney was hired. 

15 hours ago, JeffO2 said:

There are many public schools with below 80% male graduation rate. That doesn't factor students who are academically ineligible. 

Exclude freshman from the enrollment count and many schools would drop a class. 

Add special needs to that...many between 10 and 20%

14 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Speaking of recruiting, D Tees is on Facebook going all Mel Gibsons on the Catholic and private schools. I swear to The Virgin Mary he is. I gotta go 

Your posts don't always make me literally laugh out loud. This one did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2