Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  46 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Senate Majority? "What up with Dat? Caucus?

swordfish

Sooooo, if the current Senate party counts are 48 Democrats, & 49 Republicans, & 2 Independents, how is it that the Democrats are automatically handed the majority before the Georgia Senate runoff?  According to the numbers, IF Walker wins the GA runoff, the Republicans would then technically hold 50 seats to the Democrat's 48.  According to my addition, that would make the Republicans the majority even with the VP's vote.  Since when did "caucus" become the avenue that allows independents to actually choose a side?  Especially when one of those Independent Senators ran as a Democrat for his Presidential campaign.  If your an independent - be independent.

Edited by swordfish

10 hours ago, swordfish said:

Sooooo, if the current Senate party counts are 48 Democrats, & 49 Republicans, & 2 Independents, how is it that the Democrats are automatically handed the majority before the Georgia Senate runoff?  According to the numbers, IF Walker wins the GA runoff, the Republicans would then technically hold 50 seats to the Democrat's 48.  According to my addition, that would make the Republicans the majority even with the VP's vote.  Since when did "caucus" become the avenue that allows independents to actually choose a side?  Especially when one of those Independent Senators ran as a Democrat for his Presidential campaign.  If your an independent - be independent.

The independents, Angus King ME and Bernie Sanders VT caucused with the Democrats, so they get to count them. 

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

The independents, Angus King ME and Bernie Sanders VT caucused with the Democrats, so they get to count them. 

I get that.  BUT - the majority party is actually the Republicans.  (assuming Walker wins GA) It shouldn't matter who the Independents caucus with.  

So TECHNICALLY - There are 49 Republicans, 48 Democrats and 3 independents.........SO - The Republicans hold the majority, but the Independents get to choose the leadership......

https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/arizona-sen-kyrsten-sinema-leaves-democrat-party/

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema announced Friday she had registered as an Independent, leaving the Democratic Party just days after it won a hard-fought run-off race in Georgia to secure 51 seats in the Senate.

“I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington,” she said in a op-ed for local media outlet Arizona Central.

Sinema, in a separate Politico interview published Friday, said she would not caucus with the Republican Party. If that holds, Democrats could still maintain greater control in the closely divided chamber.

Democrats had held the Senate 50-50 with Vice President Kamala Harris holding a tie-breaking vote.

Senator Raphael Warnock’s victory in Tuesday’s runoff election in Georgia had handed them their 51st seat.