Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football Position Award Winners (No Hansen)

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

Try to rise above the level of a middle schooler. I have no narrative other than pointing out the fallacies of your takes. It is a position award. The position is running back. 

But not winning running back eliminates him from contention for the biggie…which is insane.  That’s my overall point.

I think he should be the favorite for the overall award…him not even getting the position award is insulting.

Edited by temptation

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

But not winning running back eliminates him from contention for the biggie…which is insane.  That’s my overall point.

I think he should be the favorite for the overall award…him not even getting the position award is insulting.

they have to find some way to give Bowen the award, and when you compare the numbers he just doesn't compete

better to just leave Hansen out of the running

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Then consider more of criticizing the process....why does one have be the best at a given position to be considered the best OVERALL player in the state?

I didn't agree with the Russ Yeast decision for Mr. Football a few years ago.  Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year, but runner up to Mr. Football.  Even though its supposed to be a senior award, Yeast being a one year player in the state really impacted voting.  Why?  I have no idea.   Only the people that voted can tell you why they voted like they did

17 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Then consider more of criticizing the process....why does one have be the best at a given position to be considered the best OVERALL player in the state?

I didn't agree with the Russ Yeast decision for Mr. Football a few years ago.  Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year, but runner up to Mr. Football.  Even though its supposed to be a senior award, Yeast being a one year player in the state really impacted voting.  Why?  I have no idea.   Only the people that voted can tell you why they voted like they did

Correct.  Did that last week when I sparred with @Coach Nowlin.

Look, plenty of guys have rushed for 2500+ yards (don’t have the numbers in front of me) and not won the award but 3100 yards on a 12-2 team that played a top 20 schedule and to not even win your POSITION award is unheard of.

There has to be more to the story.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StatQueen said:

Hi everyone! As a southsider i Love both these programs and Whiteland also for that matter, whom had a heck of a RB this year as well. Great seasons for all. The level of competition between the 3 classes and programs represented was just too different. 4a this year was better than 5a, that was a given, but CGs 6a route was way way more difficult. CGs oline was probably under-rated, but 6a was strong enough this year that the mighty HCC didn't even get a team to Thanksgiving weekend. CG and Coyle deserve this. Sorry Rebel fans. Luke had a great season. Southside Rules!

I’m not so sure CG’s route was THAT far more difficult than Roncalli’s if you are just referring to the tourney.

Roncalli’s gauntlet of Brebeuf, New Pal and East Central is nothing to be ashamed of.

2 hours ago, Grover said:

Try to rise above the level of a middle schooler. I have no narrative other than pointing out the fallacies of your takes. It is a position award. The position is running back. 

It matters, substantially. He’s ineligible for Mr. Football now. Everyone on this board knows that Drayk Bowen is going to win Mr. Football and everyone knows the selection process is going to factor in both his offensive and defensive prowess into the equation. 

• Like 1

Luke Hansen objectively had the better season. 

CG and Roncalli had two common opponents, Columbus North and Franklin Central. Coyle had 52 carries for 193 yards and 2 TD. Hansen had 61 carries for 489 yards and 6 TDs (plus 2 receptions for 66 yards and another score). 

The comparison gets uglier when you start looking at Coyle’s numbers against Trinity and Hansen’s numbers against Elder and Male (Male beat Trinity and Elder beat St X that also beat Trinity). 

In the end, Coach Moore carries the day. It is what it is. Luke is already on to wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

It matters, substantially. He’s ineligible for Mr. Football now. Everyone on this board knows that Drayk Bowen is going to win Mr. Football and everyone knows the selection process is going to factor in both his offensive and defensive prowess into the equation. 

And his star rating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Wasn’t Jaylon Smith’s talent on both sides of the ball considered the difference maker for him in 2012?  

And I can definitely think of a Week 3 game Roncalli almost certainly loses this year without him…..  To be honest, they also almost certainly lose the first East Central game as well.  That’s 4 losses.

• Like 1

Totally fine with it. It is what it is. Both are good. Making it to the state finals and winning definitely helps. Nobody gets anywhere by comparing opponents and games. Seeing both in person this year, I personally feel Coyle was faster and much more dynamic. Against better talent. Not taking anything away from Roncalli runningback. Just seeing it as I see it. Coaches vote on this as well. I trust their preference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Totally fine with it. It is what it is. Both are good. Making it to the state finals and winning definitely helps. Nobody gets anywhere by comparing opponents and games. Seeing both in person this year, I personally feel Coyle was faster and much more dynamic. Against better talent. Not taking anything away from Roncalli runningback. Just seeing it as I see it. Coaches vote on this as well. I trust their preference.

Sagarin had CG’s SOS at 10 and Roncalli’s at 18…

2 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Against better talent  

He was literally better against the same talent. Roncalli’s schedule was also actually harder than CG’s when Trinity, Male, and Elder are added in. Just saying. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Bash covered this very well.

3 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Roncalli played Warren twice, BD, Carmel, Cathedral twice?

Not to mention some of the very below average teams roncalli did play. Overall, CG had a much harder schedule. Sure roncalli played some good teams. I would hope so with that tradition and program.

Just now, Indiana Fan said:

Roncalli played Warren twice, BD, Carmel, Cathedral twice?

This isn’t the flex you think it is…

Roncalli played East Central twice…they could beat anybody above not named Cathedral.

Played two top ten teams in their respective states in Male and Elder.

New Pal, who could hang with any team you mentioned above not named Cathedral.

Respectable outfits in Brebeuf and Chatard.

AND shut out a Franklin Central team that had CG on the ropes.

1 minute ago, Indiana Fan said:

Not to mention some of the very below average teams roncalli did play. Overall, CG had a much harder schedule. Sure roncalli played some good teams. I would hope so with that tradition and program.

Much harder?  Come on.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Roncalli blew out Male, who beat Trinity, who beat CG.

Roncalli was quite possibly a top 5 team in the state this year, definitely top ten.

Coyle was a much improved RB by the end of the season. If he had run the ball against Trinity like he ran against pretty much everyone in the tournament that game would have been a 2 score win for CG. He stopped trying to outrun everyone and started punishing them! I think Hansen is just as deserving but Coyle had a better tournament and his team won the championship. 

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

This isn’t the flex you think it is…

Roncalli played East Central twice…they could beat anybody above not named Cathedral.

Played two top ten teams in their respective states in Male and Elder.

New Pal, who could hang with any team you mentioned above not named Cathedral.

Respectable outfits in Brebeuf and Chatard.

AND shut out a Franklin Central team that had CG on the ropes.

Much harder?  Come on.

Everyone has their own opinion. Both are good backs. Both on good teams. Coaches voted. I’ll trust them.

for the record, CG did not play Shortridge, Attucks, or Southport. I also wish Roncalli would still play CG. Would still be an awesome environment and game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HomeCookin said:

Coyle was a much improved RB by the end of the season. If he had run the ball against Trinity like he ran against pretty much everyone in the tournament that game would have been a 2 score win for CG. He stopped trying to outrun everyone and started punishing them! I think Hansen is just as deserving but Coyle had a better tournament and his team won the championship. 

Eric Moore didn’t even see Coyle as the best running back on his own ROSTER in August…

For all of the talk on Roncalli’s dominant line, it seems CG benefitted from their dominant line much more.

Bowen DIDN’T win the championship and is going to run away with the award now…despite not even being the position winner at his most dominant position on the field.

The whole thing is a joke.

15 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Everyone has their own opinion. Both are good backs. Both on good teams. Coaches voted. I’ll trust them.

for the record, CG did not play Shortridge, Attucks, or Southport. I also wish Roncalli would still play CG. Would still be an awesome environment and game.

Can’t punish Roncalli for their sectional lineup.

Also, Southport and North Central (who CG did play) are on equal footing.

45 minutes ago, The TW said:

He was literally better against the same talent. Roncalli’s schedule was also actually harder than CG’s when Trinity, Male, and Elder are added in. Just saying. 

No way. This is a ridiculous take. Stop.

Ask some officials how different a game is between Brownsburg vs BD... and a Roncalli vs. EC game.  They'll tell you straight up. Roncalli was awesome this year... but just stop with this ridiculousness.

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

Eric Moore didn’t even see Coyle as the best running back on his own ROSTER in August…

For all of the talk on Roncalli’s dominant line, it seems CG benefitted from their dominant line much more.

Bowen DIDN’T win the championship and is going to run away with the award now…despite not even being the position winner at his most dominant position on the field.

NC would have running clocked Southport. So would have Pike. You obviously have no idea.

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Even if Wheat hadn’t gotten hurt, he was not going to be the workhorse for CG. He is a slasher and would’ve been great, but Coyle would’ve been the hammer. Maybe Bowen doesn’t win?? Best player on the best team.