Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football Position Award Winners (No Hansen)

10 hours ago, temptation said:

WR:  Joe Walker - Warren Central

QB:  Mason Wunderlich - Ev. Mater Dei

RB:  Micah Coyle - Center Grove

TE:  George Burhenn - Mt. Vernon

OL:  Leighton Jones - Brownsburg 

DL:  Josh Mickens - Lawrence Central

LB:  Drayk Bowen - Andrean

DB:  Dillon Thienemann - Westfield

K:  Elijah Slibeck - Warren Central

Who did Roncalli piss off?

It is not the first time.  Mike Bohn led the nation in rushing in 1993 while leading Roncalli to a State title.  Award went to an O-lineman.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

No way. This is a ridiculous take. Stop.

Ask some officials how different a game is between Brownsburg vs BD... and a Roncalli vs. EC game.  They'll tell you straight up. Roncalli was awesome this year... but just stop with this ridiculousness.

NC would have running clocked Southport. So would have Pike. You obviously have no idea.

NC wouldn’t have running clocked Southport MIDDLE SCHOOL.

11 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

No way. This is a ridiculous take. Stop.

Ask some officials how different a game is between Brownsburg vs BD... and a Roncalli vs. EC game.  They'll tell you straight up. Roncalli was awesome this year... but just stop with this ridiculousness.

NC would have running clocked Southport. So would have Pike. You obviously have no idea.

NC wouldn’t have running clocked Southport MIDDLE SCHOOL.

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

It is not the first time.  Mike Bohn led the nation in rushing in 1993 while leading Roncalli to a State title.  Award went to an O-lineman.

Bo what’s his name. He was a badass but was burnt out on football by his sophomore season at IU. 

Haven’t we been here before?

CG player nominated…CG fans saying they wouldn’t have won state without that player

cg fans saying stats don’t matter 

long arguments about stats to follow.  

after a while insert discussion about how the best players are sometimes OL and they never get a shot at this award 

2 hours ago, The TW said:

Luke Hansen objectively had the better season. 

CG and Roncalli had two common opponents, Columbus North and Franklin Central. Coyle had 52 carries for 193 yards and 2 TD. Hansen had 61 carries for 489 yards and 6 TDs (plus 2 receptions for 66 yards and another score). 

The comparison gets uglier when you start looking at Coyle’s numbers against Trinity and Hansen’s numbers against Elder and Male (Male beat Trinity and Elder beat St X that also beat Trinity). 

In the end, Coach Moore carries the day. It is what it is. Luke is already on to wrestling. 

Coyle had 268yds in those 2 games. CG called off the dogs against CN and FC played the only way they could even stay close against CG. 3yds a carry and going for it on every 4th down. What no one mentions is that CG was on the 2 yard line when they took a couple knees to end the game. The score was closer than the game. I would say that every team plays a little harder in the tournament since it is going to be their last game. 

6 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

CG player nominated…CG fans saying they wouldn’t have won state without that player

after a while insert discussion about how the best players are sometimes OL and they never get a shot at this award 

So you say CG would have won state without Coyle and my statement is false. Also, if I had a vote I would of voted for Hansen.

9 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think CG would’ve won state without Coyle, but in much closer games. He made them dominate at the end of the season because he improved his game to the next level! For the record: I would take CG’s O-line against the field almost every year. 

18 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Nobody said stats don't matter.  I said they aren't the only thing that matters.  If they were then we'd just give out the award to the leading rusher or passer every year.

I did say defensive stats don't matter because they don't.  This is a running back award.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

So you say CG would have won state without Coyle and my statement is false. Also, if I had a vote I would have voted for Hansen.

All I’m saying is that for 3 years CG has won state and for 3 years I’ve read in the weeks after “we wouldn’t have won state without so and so and this is why they should win ____ award”

like….CG is a phenomenal program…you could be here next year saying the same thing with a 4 peat….it’s not a one man show…it’s a powerhouse

it’s just funny to me that it’s 3 years straight of the exact same thing.  Not a bad thing, just funny to me 

9 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

So you say CG would have won state without Coyle and my statement is false. Also, if I had a vote I would of voted for Hansen.

Yes they would have. Coyle great kid and had a terrific season. I would bet money there are 3 other RB's behind him that know Coach Moore's Wing T system and can run it in their sleep (they've only been doing it since the 2nd or 3rd grade). Wheat went down Coyle stepped up. Thomeson was moved from defense to offense.

Regardless of any of that Hansen still had 1,008 more rushing yards in 1 less game (and yes the dogs were called off in games at Roncalli too just like CG) and 13 more TD's. Both were even in receiving yards as well. ANyone that says stats don't matter for a position award is fooling themselves While some CG fans were very upset Russ Yeast did not win Mr. Football over Hunter Johnson, that was less of a travesty than Luke Hansen not being the RB award and it isn't even to the Mr. Football award.

When talking schedule strength do NOT use Sagarin as Sagarin does not take Out of State opponents into consideration (good or bad). If you want to debate Strength of Schedule you should look at Calpreps (which takes all opponents into consideration). Roncalli's SOS was 20.5 and Center Grove's was 36.8 (lower the number better the SOS) Roncalli's opponents were 108-62 Center Grove's were 83-74. (Shortridge, Attucks, and Southport definitely brought down Roncalli's SOS both teams had no choice in who they played especially in the Tournament).

image.thumb.png.69507867a07b0a74483155b33f0ff706.png

It can be spun however anyone wants but this was one of the biggest travesty moments for the position awards. I take nothing away from Coyle as he is a good kid and good football player, but he wasn't better than Hansen this year. Yes the CG fans would be super upset if the roles were reversed and that was evident from the year Russ Yeast didn't win it over Hunter Johnson (which was even less of a travesty because Yeast at least got the position award).

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes they would have. Coyle great kid and had a terrific season. I would bet money there are 3 other RB's behind him that know Coach Moore's Wing T system and can run it in their sleep (they've only been doing it since the 2nd or 3rd grade). Wheat went down Coyle stepped up. Thomeson was moved from defense to offense.

Regardless of any of that Hansen still had 1,008 more rushing yards in 1 less game (and yes the dogs were called off in games at Roncalli too just like CG) and 13 more TD's. Both were even in receiving yards as well. ANyone that says stats don't matter for a position award is fooling themselves While some CG fans were very upset Russ Yeast did not win Mr. Football over Hunter Johnson, that was less of a travesty than Luke Hansen not being the RB award and it isn't even to the Mr. Football award.

When talking schedule strength do NOT use Sagarin as Sagarin does not take Out of State opponents into consideration (good or bad). If you want to debate Strength of Schedule you should look at Calpreps (which takes all opponents into consideration). Roncalli's SOS was 20.5 and Center Grove's was 36.8 (lower the number better the SOS) Roncalli's opponents were 108-62 Center Grove's were 83-74. (Shortridge, Attucks, and Southport definitely brought down Roncalli's SOS both teams had no choice in who they played especially in the Tournament).

image.thumb.png.69507867a07b0a74483155b33f0ff706.png

It can be spun however anyone wants but this was one of the biggest travesty moments for the position awards. I take nothing away from Coyle as he is a good kid and good football player, but he wasn't better than Hansen this year. Yes the CG fans would be super upset if the roles were reversed and that was evident from the year Russ Yeast didn't win it over Hunter Johnson (which was even less of a travesty because Yeast at least got the position award).

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

The only times “stats don’t matter” is when there is a large discrepancy between SOS, (which is obviously not the case here) or when teams stat pad by running up the score, which also doesn’t seem to be evident in this case.

8 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

IMO, the real travesty is Jaron Tibbs not being named as Mr. Football Wide Receiver.  He was the best wide receiver in the state of Indiana!  Oh well, maybe he'll be named Mr. Football.

Add this slight to the Cathedral QB not getting it two years ago.  That also was a stunner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Impossible now.  These are your nominees.

When a kicker has a better chance at winning Mr. Football over someone like Hansen or Tibbs it might be time to start re-thinking the award. 

Personally, I think the award should be open to all grades, not limited to seniors. I also don't have a problem recognizing the best player in each class either. 

• Like 2