Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football Position Award Winners (No Hansen)

4 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Flip Hansen and Bowen's lines and tell me how things play out...

Well Lauck wasn’t even good enough to get the OL position award so maybe we are overvaluing Roncalli’s line?

If “anyone could run for 200 yards behind Roncalli’s line” why did they give it to the same kid 430 times?

The decision actually did come down to factors beyond their ability at running back. Coyle’s prowess as a three-sport athlete was taken into consideration. The outcomes of the teams factored into play, as well. 

Once that bridge has been crossed, you have to count the fact that even though Hansen only played defense against their top tier opponents (and then only part time), he still led the team in sacks and TFL. You also have to give him credit for being on the podium at the state wrestling finals, a sport where you are completely reliant on yourself and only yourself for success. 

But Roncalli had no representation in the room or anyone that truly cared to advocate for Luke. Coyle had the head coach of the best team in the state to carry his mail. The system is ridiculous. 

To be clear, I have nothing against Coyle. He had a great year, and I hope he goes on to do amazing things in college. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

No, just like this award the Heisman has become the best player on the best team.  Or should I say the player with the highest star rating.

Stetson Bennett won’t win it which bucks this trend a bit but him getting invited to NYC over guys like Hooker and Corum is also a TRAVESTY (yeah I said it again).

Coyle doesn't have the highest star rating on the team.

• Kill me now 1

6 minutes ago, The TW said:

For the first three yards…

I watched a high school player have loads of interest from Big Ten programs his junior year. The offensive line went bye bye, and so did the Big Ten. Ended up going MAC.

Same player was a draft pick his junior year in college. Bye bye went the offensive line and so did any interest from the NFL his senior season. 

Let's not pretend that the offensive line isn't, by far, the most valuable asset to any offense. But a kid at that position has no chance at Mr. Football and no chance at the Heisman. Those awards are given to the best football player. Apparently offensive linemen aren't considered football players. And that's a "travesty."

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

I watched a high school player have loads of interest from Big Ten programs his junior year. The offensive line went bye bye, and so did the Big Ten. Ended up going MAC.

Same player was a draft pick his junior year in college. Bye bye went the offensive line and so did any interest from the NFL his senior season. 

Let's not pretend that the offensive line isn't, by far, the most valuable asset to any offense. But a kid at that position has no chance at Mr. Football and no chance at the Heisman. Those awards are given to the best football player. Apparently offensive linemen aren't considered football players. And that's a "travesty."

If you only knew

On 12/5/2022 at 9:10 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Haven’t we been here before?

CG player nominated…CG fans saying they wouldn’t have won state without that player

cg fans saying stats don’t matter 

long arguments about stats to follow.  

after a while insert discussion about how the best players are sometimes OL and they never get a shot at this award 

As a former linemen, I think they should always get the award. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Question for you?  Does every Heisman winning RB always lead the nation in rushing and TD's?  Same for the Doak Walker award?  Does every Heisman winning QB always lead the nation in passing yardage, passing TD's, etc.?  Same for the Davey O'Brien award?  Is it truly only about pure stats?  If it were, it would make it very simple and it would take any guess out of the award.  We could throw out different levels of competition, impact to the team, etc.  Just stats....nothing else.

Sounds a tad boring and also not an accurate assessment of the best player at the position...but to each his own.

I

Don't be obtuse Using the Heisman trophy to compare to the Indiana High School RB position award is not an apples to apples comparison. When it comes to Doak Walker (the College RB award) no it does not always go to the leading rusher in college football you are correct. It also does not go to a RB that has 1,008 less rushing yards and 13 less TD's than the leading rusher. It isn't just stats either as Hansen definitely is an impactful player for his team otherwise they wouldn't have given him the ball 420 plus times.

Heck he had 41 carries 204 yards and 3 TD's in an OT loss by a FG in the Semi-State. To top it off anyone who wants to say he only has those yards because of his Offensive Line has not watched his game film. Yes his Offensive Line was terrific, but he has broken plenty of tackles in the backfield and downfield to earn those yards.

28 minutes ago, Southside said:

Apparently. So, for the new kids... what's the point of your question?

Temptation thinks he's cracked the code and that football success is all about the socioeconomic status of the schools as measured by free lunches.  It was an interesting topic the first couple of times it was brought up but it has been beaten to death.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grover said:

Temptation thinks he's cracked the code and that football success is all about the socioeconomic status of the schools as measured by free lunches.  It was an interesting topic the first couple of times it was brought up but it has been beaten to death.

Truth hurts down there in Bargersville huh?

Edited by temptation

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Well Lauck wasn’t even good enough to get the OL position award so maybe we are overvaluing Roncalli’s line?

If “anyone could run for 200 yards behind Roncalli’s line” why did they give it to the same kid 430 times?

oh jeesh.....now you are resorting to throwing teammates under the bus.  It was bad enough when you stated one player carried the team to half of their victories, as that totally diminishes the TEAM.  Any RB would tell you his success is dependent on the line in front of him opening holes.  This game always had and will always be won on the LOS.  And I say that as a former skills player and having a son as a skills player.  

Serious question....did you ever play the game?  I ask, because some of your comments that completely ignore the concept of TEAM absolutely confuse me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The TW said:

But Roncalli had no representation in the room or anyone that truly cared to advocate for Luke. Coyle had the head coach of the best team in the state to carry his mail. The system is ridiculous. 

Can you provide proof of this?  Actual proof?

You do know, CG has been disappointed many times with kids they felt deserving not earn an award right?

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Don't be obtuse Using the Heisman trophy to compare to the Indiana High School RB position award is not an apples to apples comparison. When it comes to Doak Walker (the College RB award) no it does not always go to the leading rusher in college football you are correct. It also does not go to a RB that has 1,008 less rushing yards and 13 less TD's than the leading rusher. It isn't just stats either as Hansen definitely is an impactful player for his team otherwise they wouldn't have given him the ball 420 plus times.

Heck he had 41 carries 204 yards and 3 TD's in an OT loss by a FG in the Semi-State. To top it off anyone who wants to say he only has those yards because of his Offensive Line has not watched his game film. Yes his Offensive Line was terrific, but he has broken plenty of tackles in the backfield and downfield to earn those yards.

Obtuse?  Someone has been watching Shawshank Redemption reruns lately.....LOL

I think you got the point...awards aren't always handed out to the leading stat guy in any sport...period.

Sorry you are disappointed....

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Can you provide proof of this?  Actual proof?

You do know, CG has been disappointed many times with kids they felt deserving not earn an award right?

My proof comes from a source that was in the room with no dog in the fight.