Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I love this letter by Todd Mason, former Eastside head coach.

https://outsidethehuddle.net/2022/12/05/todd-mason-eastside-ad-aaron-willard-release-statements-on-masons-resignation/

You can see it at the link and I appreciate the frankness in this paragraph:

My resignation is not the result of a single event, single person or season. My tenure at Eastside has been riddled with challenges, yet not from parents or student-athletes. The lack of institutional transparency and collaboration has left me exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually. I have lost my hope and belief that our educational leaders are willing to make decisions that are solely for the best for our students.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Robert said:

https://outsidethehuddle.net/2022/12/05/todd-mason-eastside-ad-aaron-willard-release-statements-on-masons-resignation/

You can see it at the link and I appreciate the frankness in this paragraph:

My resignation is not the result of a single event, single person or season. My tenure at Eastside has been riddled with challenges, yet not from parents or student-athletes. The lack of institutional transparency and collaboration has left me exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually. I have lost my hope and belief that our educational leaders are willing to make decisions that are solely for the best for our students.  

Why so vague?? I mean, kuddos for not just giving the "cookie-cutter" resignation speech/interview (i.e. time with family, done all I could, etc..) - but if you're gonna go the route of throwing Administration under the bus, why not be clear in your reasoning?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

Why so vague?? I mean, kuddos for not just giving the "cookie-cutter" resignation speech/interview (i.e. time with family, done all I could, etc..) - but if you're gonna go the route of throwing Administration under the bus, why not be clear in your reasoning?? 

Not sure it was Eastside's admin but more of state & federal government requirements after I read & thought about it. He isn't wrong when they care about standardized testing to get $ than preparing students for life. 

17 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure it was Eastside's admin but more of state & federal government requirements after I read & thought about it. He isn't wrong when they care about standardized testing to get $ than preparing students for life. 

So give up Coaching and leading a program because of State-wide standardized testing??? Not sure I "buy" that...in reading the article, it seemed more "localized" than that. 

5 hours ago, jets said:

So give up Coaching and leading a program because of State-wide standardized testing??? Not sure I "buy" that...in reading the article, it seemed more "localized" than that. 

Coaching & teaching go hand in hand for most situations. He sees the writing on the wall of state & federal overreach and it will eventually trickle into the IHSAA & NFHS more than it already has.

Unless you have a personal relationship with Coach Mason or in some way are connected to the situation, I’m not sure how any of us can speculate as to why he made this decision. I’ve heard plenty of things about the situation, but it’s not worth discussing without any first-hand info. From what he said, I can tell you that educators, including coaches, all over feel a split between the admin and them in terms of what they think is best for the kids. If schools want to attract and retain good coaches, they need to provide support for what they’re trying to accomplish on the team and in the school. A good coach won’t be caught dead for long in a school district without support. Eastside may struggle to get a solid replacement for this reason.

What I do know is Eastside will greatly miss Mason’s leadership and the football program may struggle in terms of discipline, motivation and all of the other things that Mason did so well. Hopefully they have someone on staff who can continue the type of program that Mason built. He was one of the best in NE IN and won’t be easy to replace. I wish him the best and will miss the annual week 2 showdown between Mason and Mosser!

Edited by FlyingHigh
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Unless you have a personal relationship with Coach Mason or in some way are connected to the situation, I’m not sure how any of us can speculate as to why he made this decision. I’ve heard plenty of things about the situation, but it’s not worth discussing without any first-hand info. From what he said, I can tell you that educators, including coaches, all over feel a split between the admin and them in terms of what they think is best for the kids. If schools want to attract and retain good coaches, they need to provide support for what they’re trying to accomplish on the team and in the school. A good coach won’t be caught dead for long in a school district without support. Eastside may struggle to get a solid replacement for this reason.

What I do know is Eastside will greatly miss Mason’s leadership and the football program may struggle in terms of discipline, motivation and all of the other things that Mason did so well. Hopefully they have someone on staff who can continue the type of program that Mason built. He was one of the best in NE IN and won’t be easy to replace. I wish him the best and will miss the annual week 2 showdown between Mason and Mosser!

100% agree - and normally I would never bring up/discuss a coaches hire and/or departure - but in this instance I felt the Coach opened up that can of worms by mentioning "institutional transparency and collaboration" - and I was just curious as to what, in fact, that actually meant? 

• Like 2