Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

See the ball? (Georgia state finals)

oldtimeqb

Question

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

So, did they end up getting this right … I hope?

It appears the TD call was the game winning score. At least from the news sources I have been able to find. Egads. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/high-school/2022/12/10/controversial-touchdown-call-georgia-high-school-3a-state-championship-video

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

So, did they end up getting this right … I hope?

16 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

It appears the TD call was the game winning score. At least from the news sources I have been able to find. Egads. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/high-school/2022/12/10/controversial-touchdown-call-georgia-high-school-3a-state-championship-video

So, if you’re the R, you go to the wing official who signaled the TD, and say “ I know who had the ball. Who TF do you think had the ball.?”

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, if you’re the R, you go to the wing official who signaled the TD, and say “ I know who had the ball. Who TF do you think had the ball.?”

Someone pointed out to me the umpire may have also been using the common mechanic to signal to the wing with his arm on his chest  This is done to indicate to the wings you see the ball in the end zone. You don't know if the runner was down prior to crossing, but you know he's there now. I'm not a fan of this mechanic. Coaches are aware of it, and if they see it but the wing doesn't rule TD you now have a different form of conflicting signals. If this is what the crew was doing, and the U also thought the runner was in, you have 2 officials making a very incorrect decision.

The wings need to hustle in as quickly as possible on plays like this because you have no idea where the ball is. The U should try to get to the runner ASAP and have them stay where they are so the wing can rule. Huge lesson for this crew, and I'm sure they are beating themselves for missing this one. He's not a terrible official who should never work again (I've seen that comment several times online). He made a huge mistake and has to learn from it. Some consequence is appropriate (i.e. no post season next year, no final the next time he's eligible).