Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Derek Hart ready to get to work rebuilding North Central

57 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Congrats to Coach Hart. 

"Hart will also fill the director of sports performance position at North Central."

Always of interest to me when a HC is hired, what position (if any) he will fill within the school corporation. 

Can someone explain to me what the above position is?? Assuming "director of sports performance" is like a strength coach?  

1 hour ago, jets said:

Congrats to Coach Hart. 

"Hart will also fill the director of sports performance position at North Central."

Always of interest to me when a HC is hired, what position (if any) he will fill within the school corporation. 

Can someone explain to me what the above position is?? Assuming "director of sports performance" is like a strength coach?  

Director of sports performance is to direct and assist in the development of performance enhancement programs for designated sports. Areas of performance enhancement include strength and conditioning, sports medicine, sports nutrition and mental health.

Very similar to a Strength Coach but maybe a few more responsibilities.

39 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Director of sports performance is to direct and assist in the development of performance enhancement programs for designated sports. Areas of performance enhancement include strength and conditioning, sports medicine, sports nutrition and mental health.

So the taxpayers foot the the bill for such an extravagence?

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 1

6 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Plus it sounds much more professional than “weight room supervisor.”

Easier to sell the six figure salary too.

• Like 1

I've beaten this drum for a number of years on the GID - but with the demands of instruction and curriculum, the days of the "classroom coach" (talking Head Coach) is becoming more and more rare. 

PE, advanced PE, strength, "director of sports performance" (this was a new one to me!), etc...seem to be the Head guy's role anymore. 

Not saying right/wrong/indifferent - just observations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That is not the point of my inquiry, but nice try at deflection.

Ask a stupid question (inquiry) get a stupid answer I guess, there was no deflection I answered your question. Most schools are going to have a Advanced Physical Education teacher no matter if you agree or not. This one actually has a title for APE, Sports medicine, sports nutrition, and mental health so you take care of 4 positions with 1 hire.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

I've beaten this drum for a number of years on the GID - but with the demands of instruction and curriculum, the days of the "classroom coach" (talking Head Coach) is becoming more and more rare. 

PE, advanced PE, strength, "director of sports performance" (this was a new one to me!), etc...seem to be the Head guy's role anymore. 

Not saying right/wrong/indifferent - just observations. 

I think it might have to do with what the specific coach has a degree in to get this title. If he has something in Sports Medicine and Sports Nutrition. I don't know this as fact though. It is very possible that Coach Hart does not only have a teaching degree in Advanced Physical Education but also in Sports medicine and Nutrition (or even add in Kinesiology). Likely some extra things you would see College strength Coaches have (like Coach David Ballou formerly of Avion, IU, Notre Dame, and now Alabama)

Everyone talking about his teaching/admin job….nobody talking about how John Hart now has both of his sons coaching in the same state and both himself and his 2 sons are phenomenal coaches.  

to me it’s a homerun of a hire.  Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he finds immediate success at North Central 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Everyone talking about his teaching/admin job….nobody talking about how John Hart now has both of his sons coaching in the same state and both himself and his 2 sons are phenomenal coaches.  

to me it’s a homerun of a hire.  Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he finds immediate success at North Central 

Don't forget his daughter coaches girls basketball at Jasper.

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Don't forget his daughter coaches girls basketball at Jasper.

Well that’s an update haha.  Last I knew of, she was an assistant at Bedford NL.

I wonder if Mrs Hart ever realized she would raise 3 HS coaches on top of being married to one when she first met Coach John Hart haha

shoot…she could probably coach a football team better than most of us on here 😂

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, FastpacedO said:

On 12/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, Muda69 said:

So the taxpayers foot the the bill for such an extravagence?

Doesn’t sound all that extravagant to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Doesn’t sound all that extravagant to me.

Yet it is, just the same.  What specific classes does a "Director of sports performance" teach?  The word "Director" seems to indicate a primarily administrative position,  something that has exploded in primary schools, secondary schools, and college/universities over the last couple of decades.  Too many non-teaching, administrative positions and not enough, you know, teachers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Yet it is, just the same.  What specific classes does a "Director of sports performance" teach?  The word "Director" seems to indicate a primarily administrative position,  something that has exploded in primary schools, secondary schools, and college/universities over the last couple of decades.  Too many non-teaching, administrative positions and not enough, you know, teachers.

Indiana could elect to put more money into education and pay teachers more….but sure rage against people taking better opportunities to provide for their families under the umbrella of government spending. 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Yes.

This is an excellent hire. O’Shea simply never had to put time into feeder programs and it showed over his tenure. Kankakee is similar in demographics to North Central.

Let's hope he can identify and partner with the parents/volunteers/sponsors that really make a feeder system hum.

15 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Indiana could elect to put more money into education and pay teachers more….but sure rage against people taking better opportunities to provide for their families under the umbrella of government spending. 

Yet another reason to get government out of the education business.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:12 PM, Muda69 said:

Yo do you even "the second classroom" with IHSAA, bro?