Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blackhawk Christian Going 11 Man

4 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Dean Pantazzi just tweeted it out. Have to believe that they will join the ACAC.https://twitter.com/DeanPWPTA21/status/1604915874208645120?t=B9pD9F032Ws8XM0hKERjwQ&s=19

I know folk that attend Blackhawk's church.  Did they only do 1 season of 8-man?  Gonna be a big jump.  Might get a few wins in the ACAC.  First season could be a hefty learning curve.  Does anyone know what their attendance numbers are?  What class would they be in?  Assume 1A or 2A.

6 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

I know folk that attend Blackhawk's church.  Did they only do 1 season of 8-man?  Gonna be a big jump.  Might get a few wins in the ACAC.  First season could be a hefty learning curve.  Does anyone know what their attendance numbers are?  What class would they be in?  Assume 1A or 2A.

Yes, one year of 8 man and now a jump up. Not sure how long they'll have to wait to compete in the IHSAA. I would say probably 1A. I believe they're 2A in hoops because of SF.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

At the "lower levels"....7th and 8th grade, Blackhawk Christian has already been fielding 11-man teams.  So there is a template in the ensuing years for them to participate beyond 8-man.  

(I believe) They played their 8-man schedule at Snider's Bowser Field, so I'd assume that at some point they would be looking for a larger facility for their "home-field". 

RUMOR ALERT!  With Snider potentially building an on-campus stadium soon across the street (next to Lane Middle School).....Might that be the place when the Panthers are on the road?   Don't forget that the FW Fire Station is moving to Reed and State.  A heck of a lot of LAND that is owned and ready for 'something' to build upon...just saying! 

Yes, the ACAC may be the most appropriate conference for them in sports....they'll take their lumps in FB though.  The ACAC schools (no matter what we may assume) are steeped in FB tradition that will take a few seasons to become competitive in.  Baseball, Basketball, Soccer...etc. the Braves would be a competitive member on Day One, and in some cases a POWERHOUSE.  

Good luck to them if this is their goal.  

And yes, 1A FB!  The student numbers would place them squarely in 1A for FB.  All other sports, would remain the same as they are at this time, unless SF puts them into a different classification.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

At the "lower levels"....7th and 8th grade, Blackhawk Christian has already been fielding 11-man teams.  So there is a template in the ensuing years for them to participate beyond 8-man.  

(I believe) They played their 8-man schedule at Snider's Bowser Field, so I'd assume that at some point they would be looking for a larger facility for their "home-field". 

RUMOR ALERT!  With Snider potentially building an on-campus stadium soon across the street (next to Lane Middle School).....Might that be the place when the Panthers are on the road?   Don't forget that the FW Fire Station is moving to Reed and State.  A heck of a lot of LAND that is owned and ready for 'something' to build upon...just saying! 

Yes, the ACAC may be the most appropriate conference for them in sports....they'll take their lumps in FB though.  The ACAC schools (no matter what we may assume) are steeped in FB tradition that will take a few seasons to become competitive in.  Baseball, Basketball, Soccer...etc. the Braves would be a competitive member on Day One, and in some cases a POWERHOUSE.  

And yes, 1A FB!  The student numbers would place them squarely in 1A for FB.  All other sports, would remain the same as they are at this time, unless SF puts them into a different classification.  

Do you think BC has room on campus now to build a home stadium? Not sure about zoning issues, but the current spot listed on google maps as the soccer practice field looks to be big enough. I am not sure about the possibility of putting a stadium where the current soccer field is, or if there is room for putting a combined field/stadium in either spot. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Do you think BC has room on campus now to build a home stadium? Not sure about zoning issues, but the current spot listed on google maps as the soccer practice field looks to be big enough. I am not sure about the possibility of putting a stadium where the current soccer field is, or if there is room for putting a combined field/stadium in either spot. 

I honestly don't think so at this time.  They are decent in Soccer, and unless they see a FB program as being a step forward with both attendance and the revenue generated from it, then do that.   But they don't need to build upon the soccer field to get it to accommodate both programs.  

Their best bet for the time being is to reach out and schedule FB on the off weeks of a local school and rent out that field.  

Edited by Yuccaguy

12 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I honestly don't think so at this time.  They are decent in Soccer, and unless they see a FB program as being a step forward with both attendance and the revenue generated from it, then do that.   But they don't need to build upon the soccer field to get it to accommodate both programs.  

Their best bet for the time being is to reach out and schedule FB on the off weeks of a local school and rent out that field.  

New Haven? Concordia? Woodlan?  Dwenger?  Interesting on where they could rent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

New Haven? Concordia? Woodlan?  Dwenger?  Interesting on where they could rent. 

Any of those four would be logical choices.  Woodlan would probably have the best "small school" feel, but beggars can't be choosers.

Another, albeit not quite as attractive, option is Harding.  No action Friday nights anymore at that school, so they wouldn't have to worry about working around the "real" home team's schedule.  Little farther drive, but with Maplecrest going straight through to 930 it wouldn't be unreasonable.  My father still lives on the outer edge of the SE side and he can make it to Georgetown Square, via Maplecrest, in what seems like no time at all.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1

As successful as Blackhawk is in other sports, I imagine they'll field a pretty good football team as well...........eventually. Not sure it will happen over night though. They'll have their work cut out for them getting by the likes of Adams Central and South Adams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacAttack53 said:

Why would the ACAC want to add Blackhawk? Sure, it’s a fit from Blackhawk’s perspective, but I don’t see the benefit for the other conference schools in sports besides football.

Completely agree. This has been rumored for a few months among ACAC member schools.  With the right coach, I think Blackhawk will be able to pull some athletes from Snider, Leo, Northrop, Carroll, etc. that feel like they can play a bigger role at a small school that plays 1A football.  Just look at their basketball program to see what will happen.  They used to be a doormat prior to class basketball when they had to compete with the larger Fort Wayne schools.  If they have a coach who can recruit some kids from the larger schools in addition to building their own feeder program, it will be just a few years before football is just like their basketball program.  

Don’t expect the ACAC schools to blindly take Blackhawk just to get to 8 members.  They will need to consider the advantages Blackhawk has as a private school in a city with nearly half a million people compared to their own schools that have to accept any and all students in their small town, rural communities of only a few thousand residents.  The geographic proximity would be attractive to Heritage and Woodlan, but I could see their reluctance to admit Blackhawk if they have lost any students to them.  I could also see the 5 schools in Adams, Jay, and Wells Counties saying no.  If they really want an 8th member, maybe they reach out to Bellmont to see if the Braves would consider a move to the ACAC.  Then Angola could move into the Northeast 8 and Blackhawk can, as Bobby Knight once said, play with themselves.

Edited by HoopsCoach

2 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Completely agree. This has been rumored for a few months among ACAC member schools.  With the right coach, I think Blackhawk will be able to pull some athletes from Snider, Leo, Northrop, Carroll, etc. that feel like they can play a bigger role at a small school that plays 1A football.  Just look at their basketball program to see what will happen.  They used to be a doormat prior to class basketball when they had to compete with the larger Fort Wayne schools.  If they have a coach who can recruit some kids from the larger schools in addition to building their own feeder program, it will be just a few years before football is just like their basketball program.  

Don’t expect the ACAC schools to blindly take Blackhawk just to get to 8 members.  They will need to consider the advantages Blackhawk has as a private school in a city with nearly half a million people compared to their own schools that have to accept any and all students in their small town, rural communities of only a few thousand residents.  The geographic proximity would be attractive to Heritage and Woodlan, but I could see their reluctance to admit Blackhawk if they have lost any students to them.  I could also see the 5 schools in Adams, Jay, and Wells Counties saying no.  If they really want an 8th member, maybe they reach out to Bellmont to see if the Braves would consider a move to the ACAC.  Then Angola could move into the Northeast 8 and Blackhawk can, as Bobby Knight once said, play with themselves.

I agree that the ACAC wouldn't "blindly" accept ANY team at this point, or in the future (with regards to FB).  But the OTHER sports (Men's and Women's)?  ALA: Carroll/Homestead vis a vis the SAC in Football/Basketball....  it's an intriguing addition...is it not?  

Back to the 11-man FB situation.... A Blackhawk FB team playing the bulk of the ACAC at this time would be equivalent to Southern Wells at this time in the conference.  And I mean no insult to the Raiders; But it's hard times for them currently.  They WILL/WOULD take their lumps!  

I can see Blackhawk formulating a schedule of a mixture of ACAC teams, NECC teams, unaffiliated IHSAA teams and perhaps smaller schools from Ohio in the near future to begin their program.  

Bellmont is not leaving the NE8! 

Angola's main issue is their proximity to the bulk of the NE8 schools with regards to the OTHER sports outside of FB.  Just as Garrett had when they left the NECC.....they (Garrett-Keiser-Butler school system) saw the cost of sports transportation explode in order to participate in the other sports from the Freshman and JV levels and below.   

I would prefer that Angola (as with the situation that Carroll/Homestead have with the SAC)....  become a pseudo-NE8 member in the 2 Major sports of that conference.  I think they could/would be a great addition to the conference.  

The down-side to this situation, is that that puts the NE8 one step closer to becoming a 'closed-conference'.  Would only leave 1 week for out of conference games.  

I am fairly certain that at this point in time, the P/P argument as it relates to Blackhawk in FB....is moot!  Maybe in 10 years or so, the Allen County metro area schools that you reference would have a valid argument...but not now!  At least in FB.  

• Like 1

My thoughts are that it's either Blackhawk Christian or Blackford leaving the CIC if the ACAC goes to 8. No way will Bellmont leave the NE 8 even though it would currently benefit them in football. They're followers feel that the ACAC is beneath them, especially wrestling. Just ask on Indiana mat.

20 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

My thoughts are that it's either Blackhawk Christian or Blackford leaving the CIC if the ACAC goes to 8. No way will Bellmont leave the NE 8 even though it would currently benefit them in football. They're followers feel that the ACAC is beneath them, especially wrestling. Just ask on Indiana mat.

Their* dang phone drives me nuts.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Bellmont is too far invested in the NE8.  Football will eventually come back around.   Perhaps not to the State level days of yore.....but they WILL be impactful again.

As for Blackford....the Southern Wells situation has a lot of impact on who/what/where they will be soon. Let's see what that School Corporation becomes in the ensuing years.

14 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I agree that the ACAC wouldn't "blindly" accept ANY team at this point, or in the future (with regards to FB).  But the OTHER sports (Men's and Women's)?  ALA: Carroll/Homestead vis a vis the SAC in Football/Basketball....  it's an intriguing addition...is it not?  

Baseball wasn't too far off fairly recently.  And volleyball just had a nice run.  They have decent relationships/schedules in those areas, so I would suspect that they might mirror some of that in scheduling in football; where possible.

• Like 1

Does anyone want to take a crack at how adding Blackhawk to 1A will shake up the existing sectionals? It probably won't happen for a few more years and things might change by then, but I still find it interesting to guess.

1 hour ago, AG said:

Does anyone want to take a crack at how adding Blackhawk to 1A will shake up the existing sectionals? It probably won't happen for a few more years and things might change by then, but I still find it interesting to guess.

Shake up in what capacity? From a competitive standpoint I'm not sure they'll be a threat for at least a few years. And even then, I think achieving Adams Central's level is a long shot. 

50 minutes ago, BTF said:

Shake up in what capacity? From a competitive standpoint I'm not sure they'll be a threat for at least a few years. And even then, I think achieving Adams Central's level is a long shot. 

I Think AC is gonna be bumped up to 2a sooner than later, if not by success factor then by enrollment. There was a spreadsheet on here earlier this season with enrollment and they were the 3rd or 4th biggest 1a school?

50 minutes ago, 260AC said:

I Think AC is gonna be bumped up to 2a sooner than later, if not by success factor then by enrollment. There was a spreadsheet on here earlier this season with enrollment and they were the 3rd or 4th biggest 1a school?

The DOE released enrollment numbers for this fall (Sept ‘22) and AC would be in 2A by enrollment.  Just barely, but they would be.  It won’t matter because they will get back to the state finals next year and bump up by success factor.

I think the AG’s post about shaking up the sectionals was referencing Blackhawk being in a 1A sectional starting in 2023 since they are already an eligible member school.  I think Blackhawk would join sectional 44, then Madison-Grant could move to sectional 45.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, Yuccaguy said:

Would be nice is Snider had their own stadium. Been wishing that for decades. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

The DOE released enrollment numbers for this fall (Sept ‘22) and AC would be in 2A by enrollment.  Just barely, but they would be.  It won’t matter because they will get back to the state finals next year and bump up by success factor.

I think the AG’s post about shaking up the sectionals was referencing Blackhawk being in a 1A sectional starting in 2023 since they are already an eligible member school.  I think Blackhawk would join sectional 44, then Madison-Grant could move to sectional 45.

Yep our Jets will be 2A next cycle either by enrollment or success factor. Our enrollment keeps growing as families are leaving Bellmont due to the Chicago natives moving into Decatur. Also some AC alums in other surrounding school districts not finding the rare available house in AC district as well.

9 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Not sure if they have feeder programs for bc that would bolster whatever scheme they decide on..they will have the athletes..ac has the benefit of k-12 growth vs. bc patching together talented transfer portal kids..

Not sure you're going to see a slew of transfer portal kids go to Blackhawk, and if you do, what will be their talent level? If a kid has D1 potential, he's probably going to want to continue completing at the 5a and 6a levels. Then there's two other factors, each having two parts:

1.    A player's family will have to come up with 12k per year to send their athlete to the school. And they'll have to be ok with their child learning in a Christian setting. 

2.   A player would have to qualify for the voucher system. And the player's parents will have to be ok with them learning in a Christian environment. 

In the current environment. A kid in Fort Wayne is probably going to transfer to one of three programs.

1.   Carroll - Great school system provided by taxpayers with outstanding an outstanding football facility. 

2.   North Side - Not sure what coach Ben Johnson is offering kids outside of his district. But he seems to be able to get them to buy into his program. 

3.   Snider - Just a great program that produces next level football players.