Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CFP Championship

Bobref

The semifinal games are coming up, so I thought it was the appropriate time to start a topic on the championship. Post your predictions, observations, trash talk, etc. here.

I am hoping with all my heart for a Michigan - Ohio State rematch in the Final. It will elevate what is already the greatest rivalry in college football to unprecedented heights. I know that places me in the distasteful position of having to root for Michigan Saturday afternoon, but I’m taking the long view.

43 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The semifinal games are coming up, so I thought it was the appropriate time to start a topic on the championship. Post your predictions, observations, trash talk, etc. here.

I am hoping with all my heart for a Michigan - Ohio State rematch in the Final. It will elevate what is already the greatest rivalry in college football to unprecedented heights. I know that places me in the distasteful position of having to root for Michigan Saturday afternoon, but I’m taking the long view.

No predictions from me but I WILL say this.

You are a better man than I…

42 minutes ago, temptation said:

No predictions from me but I WILL say this.

You are a better man than I…

So, you’ll be rooting for Georgia to beat Ohio State? You know, a real cynic might say you were ducking Ohio State because if the Buckeyes were to avenge their earlier loss by winning what would be the most significant game in the long history of the rivalry, it would erase all the progress the Wolverines have made in the last couple of years.

Glad I’m not that cynical. I know it’s just because you hate the Buckeyes with an unquenchable fire.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, you’ll be rooting for Georgia to beat Ohio State? You know, a real cynic might say you were ducking Ohio State because if the Buckeyes were to avenge their earlier loss by winning what would be the most significant game in the long history of the rivalry, it would erase all the progress the Wolverines have made in the last couple of years.

Glad I’m not that cynical. I know it’s just because you hate the Buckeyes with an unquenchable fire.

Yes, Michigan fans are “ducking” a team that they curb stomped 45-23 (should have been 52 if the refs didn’t give Stroud sympathy on that final drive) on Thanksgiving weekend.

Any O$U “fan” rooting for Michigan Saturday is a fraud…and vice versa.

Edited by temptation

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You’ve got to admit — Michigan vs. Ohio State for the National Championship would be the biggest college football game in memory.

Yeah, don’t care who it is though.  Just want two more wins.

Revenge is overrated, just like this November’s game proved.  All I heard for 365 days was how O$U’s identity had changed on defense and they were out to prove it.

Related to that point, though many folks would play up the revenge card should UM play Georgia, you think UM would rather see them (the team most say is the best of the four) or a team they’ve already beaten by 22?

Agree, a Michigan vs Ohio State championship would be epic. A huge boost for the Big Ten. 

If I'm a Michigan fan, on one hand I'm not wanting to play Ohio State again. Been there done that. Why have to prove that they are better a second time around? I think I'd rather get another crack at Georgia after what happened last year. On the other hand, if Ohio State somehow upsets Georgia, then Michigan's path to national champions just got easier. I'd be curious to see a poll as to who Michigan fans would rather play. 

I'm just rooting for an all Big Ten title. Even though we all know Notre Dame would have beaten both teams the way they manhandled South Carolina. 

• Like 1

Georgia and Michigan win easily today. I just think Georgia is that much better than any other team this season. TCU got beat up in the conference title game. This late in the year, players do not really fully recover. I love the competitiveness in Duggan, but Michigan is a team like none they have seen this year. 

Georgia beats Michigan in the title game, by two scores. I think the Michigan o line will keep them in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Georgia and Michigan win easily today. I just think Georgia is that much better than any other team this season. TCU got beat up in the conference title game. This late in the year, players do not really fully recover. I love the competitiveness in Duggan, but Michigan is a team like none they have seen this year. 

Georgia beats Michigan in the title game, by two scores. I think the Michigan o line will keep them in the game. 

Well said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

This is sorta where I am at.

• Like 1

Well, let’s see what the Wolverines can do in the 2nd half. Gotta to get scores when that close to the end zone. Horrible pick 6. 

Speaking of horrible, how in the world did the Michigan TD pass get reversed following replay?  Nothing close to warrant an overturn of the call.  Fumble on the next play resulting in a TO. Officials factored big time in taking earned points off the board. 

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Well, let’s see what the Wolverines can do in the 2nd half. Gotta to get scores when that close to the end zone. Horrible pick 6. 

Speaking of horrible, how in the world did the Michigan TD pass get reversed following replay?  Nothing close to warrant an overturn of the call.  Fumble on the next play resulting in a TO. Officials factored big time in taking earned points off the board. 

That play was really, really close. Controversial either way. If Michigan had taken care of business, no one would have said anything.

Having said that, I don’t think the crew is having a great game. The roughing the passer call against TCU was not a strong call.

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That play was really, really close. Controversial either way. If Michigan had taken care of business, no one would have said anything.

Having said that, I don’t think the crew is having a great game. The roughing the passer call against TCU was not a strong call.

It may have been close, but no way should have call been overturned. Nothing definitive to change call on the field. That’s not on the field crew. 

Agree with your roughing comment. 

I am surprised Michigan is getting run on so easily especially in the red zone. . TCU hammering them in the trenches when it counts. Duggan is a saavy QB 

• Like 1

I am watching ESPNNews. They have a drone camera behind the offense. What is impressive is that TCU is moving the ball at will. This view shows just how out of place Michigan is so often; a number of times, there are only 1 or 2 guys who have a chance to make a play, and they are missing tackles too often. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

It may have been close, but no way should have call been overturned. Nothing definitive to change call on the field. 

Michigan was screwed out of 7 points, plain and simple. 

1 hour ago, Grover said:

Somebody please explain to me how that wasn't targeting on Michigan's last offensive play.

I had no dog in the fight, but I watched it a half dozen times and it's my opinion he hit him with his shoulder in the upper back.  I've seen quite a few non targeting calls made this bowl season, and it might be I'm watching more games than normal this year.  I understand the Wolverine fans will be questioning that call, but in my opinion they got that one right.

Oh, and the hit was unnecessary too!  He was already on the way down.

Edited by PHJIrish

23 minutes ago, Grover said:

Shoulder?  I've got no dog in this hunt either but that sure looks like he hit with the crown of his helmet.

FlWVOUiaEAAT5vm.jpg

It could have been that way, but in real time it looks much different, at least to me and I just had cataract surgery.😄

• Haha 1