Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $3,162.05 of $3,600 target

CFP Championship


Bobref
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not at all what I expected from either game. With no real dog in either game, they were fun to watch as a fan. Being a defensive guy though, sheesh. 
While I will stick with Georgia winning it all, TCU will give them all they can handle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Not at all what I expected from either game. With no real dog in either game, they were fun to watch as a fan. Being a defensive guy though, sheesh. 
While I will stick with Georgia winning it all, TCU will give them all they can handle. 

Georgia better get a pass rush working because their secondary is their weak link 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not at all what I expected from either game. With no real dog in either game, they were fun to watch as a fan. Being a defensive guy though, sheesh. 
While I will stick with Georgia winning it all, TCU will give them all they can handle. 

I was a little surprised...I believe Vegas made UGA a 13 point favorite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, really brutal way for both Big Ten teams to lose. Thinking back on some monumental missed opportunities for each off the top of my head: 
 

Michigan

  • 4th & Goal on 1st posession and they get cute with a reverse that gets sniffed out before it even had a chance
  • 2 Pick Sixes for JJ. Not necessarily a missed opportunity for the Wolverines, but 2 pick sixes in the same game is so rare
  • The obvious being the TD called back and subsequent fumble on the next play
  • Duggan avoiding pressure (he's so good at drifting and keeping the play alive) on 3rd & Long to complete a 76 yard TD pass
  • Missed targeting call on last play of game? I didn't see this one. I've read Michigan should have received one more play.
  • No Blake Corum and the youngster was forced to throw the ball likely more than Harbaugh would have preferred.

Ohio State

  • Not once but twice squandering 14 point leads
  • Georgia had zero answer for Harrison JR and he ends up getting knocked out of the game on a controversial non target call 3rd town. That would have been 1st & Goal Buckeyes with a chance to go up by 18. Instead, they kicked the FG and only went up by 14
  • Last but not least, after a 27 yard run by Stroud, the Buckeyes had 1st and 10 from the Georgia 31 with 24 seconds left. In 3 plays they couldn't even gain one year, which left them with a 50 yard FG attempt to win 
  • Injuries. Granted all teams suffer injuries and I'm not saying Ohio State wins if healthy, but, I have to think the OSU staff will look back at this year and think what could have been with that high powered offense if Henderson and Smith-Njigba were healthy in the CFP along with getting Harrison Jr for a full game. He's a beast. On the flip side though their defense was atrocious the past two game.

 

 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Man, really brutal way for both Big Ten teams to lose. Thinking back on some monumental missed opportunities for each off the top of my head: 
 

Michigan

  • 4th & Goal on 1st posession and they get cute with a reverse that gets sniffed out before it even had a chance
  • 2 Pick Sixes for JJ. Not necessarily a missed opportunity for the Wolverines, but 2 pick sixes in the same game is so rare
  • The obvious being the TD called back and subsequent fumble on the next play
  • Duggan avoiding pressure (he's so good at drifting and keeping the play alive) on 3rd & Long to complete a 76 yard TD pass
  • Missed targeting call on last play of game? I didn't see this one. I've read Michigan should have received one more play.
  • No Blake Corum and the youngster was forced to throw the ball likely more than Harbaugh would have preferred.

Ohio State

  • Not once but twice squandering 14 point leads
  • Georgia had zero answer for Harrison JR and he ends up getting knocked out of the game on a controversial non target call 3rd town. That would have been 1st & Goal Buckeyes with a chance to go up by 18. Instead, they kicked the FG and only went up by 14
  • Last but not least, after a 27 yard run by Stroud, the Buckeyes had 1st and 10 from the Georgia 31 with 24 seconds left. In 3 plays they couldn't even gain one year, which left them with a 50 yard FG attempt to win 
  • Injuries. Granted all teams suffer injuries and I'm not saying Ohio State wins if healthy, but, I have to think the OSU staff will look back at this year and think what could have been with that high powered offense if Henderson and Smith-Njigba were healthy in the CFP along with getting Harrison Jr for a full game. He's a beast. On the flip side though their defense was atrocious the past two game.

 

 

Good summary.....

Michigan/TCU - it is so tough to overcome 2 defensive scores....the 2 pick 6's for TCU was absolutely brutal to the Wolverines chances.  I was also shocked that TCU whupped Michigan on the line of scrimmage.  The Horned Frogs had 263 yds rushing at 6.4 yds/attempt.  They got that first down near the end of the game by running the ball up the gut, taking critical time away from Michigan and forcing them to burn their timeouts. That was critical.  

Michigan absolutely got hosed with reversing the TD on the pass play.  Not sure what the replay official saw that would reverse what was called on the field.  The field officials got it right.  ESPN analysts at halftime really voiced their opinions that the replay official screwed up a critical call.  

OSU/UGA - You are right about the Harrison injury....not only did it stop the drive, but having him out of the 4th quarter took away a serious weapon.  That was a shame he couldn't return.  Both UGA and OSU lost their starting TE's in the first half, and they are both weapons.  The overturned 4th down play by UGA in which their TE made a crazy play to pick up the 1st down.  What went from a stop, turned into points for UGA.  Finally, Kirby Smart calling that TO just before OSU executed a beautiful fake punt play.  That also took away a first down and gave the ball to UGA.  

Great games....hurts for the Big 10.  Most disappointed in Michigan.  They just seemed not ready to play in the first half and make critical game changing mistakes.  21-6 at half, before they finally woke up and exploded offensively in the 2nd half.  I am not sure what happened to both OSU and Michigan's defenses.....they need a ton of focus on that side of the ball going into next season.

Finally, I have no idea what is a targeting call anymore.....its obvious that neither do the officials on the field or with the replay team.

 

 

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to add a MAJOR one for Ohio State. They would have successfully completed a fake punt for a crucial 1st down in the 4th Quarter when Georgia was on the verge of completely taking momentum. But, UGA read it and called TO just before Ohio State snapped the ball. Not sure if that one should have been granted to Kirby.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Good summary.....

Michigan/TCU - it is so tough to overcome 2 defensive scores....the 2 pick 6's for TCU was absolutely brutal to the Wolverines chances.  I was also shocked that TCU whupped Michigan on the line of scrimmage.  The Horned Frogs had 263 yds rushing at 6.4 yds/attempt.  They got that first down near the end of the game by running the ball up the gut, taking critical time away from Michigan and forcing them to burn their timeouts. That was critical.  

Michigan absolutely got hosed with reversing the TD on the pass play.  Not sure what the replay official saw that would reverse what was called on the field.  The field officials got it right.  ESPN analysts at halftime really voiced their opinions that the replay official screwed up a critical call.  

 

 

 

Have to give TCU credit. Unfairly, they often get labled soft because Big 12 seems to be a "No D" league, but this is the 2nd time they've pushed a Big Ten team (Wisconsin - Rose Bowl) around in the trenches. 

That call made zero sense. No possibly way replay could be used to provide definitive evidence he was down at the 1. None. It was clear he didn't even gain posession until he was on the goal line at a minimum. At the time I didn't even care because I assumed Michigan would punch it in from the goal line. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

What stage of grief are you in? I was in denial for about 2 weeks after Virginia beat Purdue. 

Yep, still there.

Last year’s loss to Georgia was much easier as I had gone through all of the stages of grief by the end of the third quarter.

This one will sting for a long time because Michigan beat Michigan more so than TCU did.

Making matters worse (though not as bad as they could have been) OSU (a team Michigan beat by 22 points) proved Georgia is human.

Opening line for the natty is 13.5, smh.

I know I won’t garner much sympathy as it could be much worse but Michigan should enter next season as preseason #1/2 based on returners and transfer portal additions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

This one will sting for a long time because Michigan beat Michigan more so than TCU did.

Making matters worse (though not as bad as they could have been) OSU (a team Michigan beat by 22 points) proved Georgia is human.

Great games … but generally unsatisfying outcomes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, temptation said:

This one will sting for a long time because Michigan beat Michigan more so than TCU did.

Those games are the worst. Nothing worse than losing to an inferior opponent. TCU proved to a formidable opponent, but the better team will be sitting at home on January 9th. It happens at all levels.............and it's hard to move on and forget. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, temptation said:

Yep, still there.

Last year’s loss to Georgia was much easier as I had gone through all of the stages of grief by the end of the third quarter.

This one will sting for a long time because Michigan beat Michigan more so than TCU did.

Making matters worse (though not as bad as they could have been) OSU (a team Michigan beat by 22 points) proved Georgia is human.

Opening line for the natty is 13.5, smh.

I know I won’t garner much sympathy as it could be much worse but Michigan should enter next season as preseason #1/2 based on returners and transfer portal additions.

Exactly. Michigan was the better team, beat themselves, and then watched as their enemy proved Georgia was beatable. Talk about salt in the wound. Michigan's schedule is looking very favorable next year. No big OOC games. Ohio State at home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Exactly. Michigan was the better team, beat themselves, and then watched as their enemy proved Georgia was beatable. Talk about salt in the wound. Michigan's schedule is looking very favorable next year. No big OOC games. Ohio State at home. 

I am torn on that comment....

I don't know much about TCU.....I do think they have a better QB than Michigan.....faster WR's....and their line won the LOS scrimmage battle, gaining more almost 90 more yards rushing...and that really surprised me.  Michigan was down 21-6 at half and was always playing catchup.  TCU made Michigan pay with bad throws from their QB.  They ate up those interceptions.

Claiming Michigan only beat themselves, its oversimplifying in my opinion, and it doesn't give credit to an opponent.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I am torn on that comment....

I don't know much about TCU.....I do think they have a better QB than Michigan.....faster WR's....and their line won the LOS scrimmage battle, gaining more almost 90 more yards rushing...and that really surprised me.  Michigan was down 21-6 at half and was always playing catchup.  TCU made Michigan pay with bad throws from their QB.  They ate up those interceptions.

Claiming Michigan only beat themselves, its oversimplifying in my opinion, and it doesn't give credit to an opponent.  

Zero credit taken away from TCU but you beat a team by 6 that came away empty inside the 3 yard line on two occasions…that also gifted you 13 points on pick sixes.

The “Philly special” was Harbaugh out thinking the room and the fumbled exchange was also a self inflicted error.

(And the fumble should have never happened because Roman Wilson scored on the previous play.)

I’m still sick to my stomach.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Zero credit taken away from TCU but you beat a team by 6 that came away empty inside the 3 yard line on two occasions…that also gifted you 13 points on pick sixes.

The “Philly special” was Harbaugh out thinking the room and the fumbled exchange was also a self inflicted error.

(And the fumble should have never happened because Roman Wilson scored on the previous play.)

I’m still sick to my stomach.

Gifted 2 interceptions?  Maybe...or perhaps their DB's simply beat the Michigan WR's and obviously fooled the QB...and that goes back to my point that TCU has a better QB.  

Agree about comments inside the 5 yard line, but there is no guarantee that Michigan scores even if Harbaugh had been more conventional when he ran the trick play.  The fumble was tough and I agree that it absolutely should have been a TD with the pass prior.

TCU ran the ball on Michigan at the end to eat clock, running Duggan with keeps....Michigan committed everyone and still couldn't prevent a critical first down.  That ate clock and took away Michigan's time outs.  When it counted, TCU ran on Michigan as they had pretty much the entire game.  That stands out in my mind when a team knows what's coming and still can't stop it.  That's not giving away a win...that's the inability to take it away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I searched other sites for opinions about the "targeting."  It's about 50-50 and I've seen the play another dozen times or so.  After spending so much time watching it, there should have at least been an unnecessary roughness penalty on the play.  The "hit" can after he was on his way down.  

I'll be watching net Monday!  Georgia will be the favorite but the underdogs did OK Saturday.  TCU will try to take advantage of their chance.  It's not every year you make it to the CFP final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t help but wonder. Where are the people who were ripping Notre Dame for getting taken to the woodshed in the championship game by Alabama? “They don’t belong.” I don’t hear people saying that about cute little, feel-good story, TCU. I’ve also heard lots of comments about how small their student body is, compared to their opponents’. TCU has a little over 10,000 undergrads and a little under 2,000 grad students. Notre Dame has 9,000 undergrads and 2,200 grad students.   But we never get to be David. We’re always Goliath.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I can’t help but wonder. Where are the people who were ripping Notre Dame for getting taken to the woodshed in the championship game by Alabama? “They don’t belong.” I don’t hear people saying that about cute little, feel-good story, TCU. I’ve also heard lots of comments about how small their student body is, compared to their opponents’. TCU has a little over 10,000 undergrads and a little under 2,000 grad students. Notre Dame has 9,000 undergrads and 2,200 grad students.   But we never get to be David. We’re always Goliath.

You've somehow managed to play victim and bring Notre Dame into this conversation?  Come on.

NO ONE ever feels sorry for Notre Dame, nor should they.

Pre-playoff they played by their own rules in the BCS and reaped the benefits.

Join a conference for god sakes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, temptation said:

You've somehow managed to play victim and bring Notre Dame into this conversation? 

Just throwing one out there to see who would bite. You never disappoint. 😂🤣😅

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...