Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carson Steele Gets Some Airtime on ESPN with SVP

Bash Riprock

Carson wins a Scottie and gets some love from ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt. Carson’s attire promoting the Center Grove Trojan brand. Well done young man!! 

https://www.facebook.com/1152611718/posts/pfbid0Fwsn1vHaQBxbkgu14ev4SyNWzBNsNyKSjHHMZpoJAhW3jVs9EzKEVvudRwBybdxdl/?mibextid=cr9u03

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Carson wins a Scottie and gets some love from ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt. Carson’s attire promoting the Center Grove Trojan brand. Well done young man!! 

https://www.facebook.com/1152611718/posts/pfbid0Fwsn1vHaQBxbkgu14ev4SyNWzBNsNyKSjHHMZpoJAhW3jVs9EzKEVvudRwBybdxdl/?mibextid=cr9u03

That was awesome....thanks for sharing. 

49 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Always wondered why he was overlooked by most P5 programs coming out of high school.

Especially P5 schools in his own state.  IU and Purdue only offering PWO's.  IU is really disappointing....Carson grows up about 30 miles from campus, 4 year starter in the MIC, state championship winner and Mr. Football, and IU doesn't believe he is worthy of a scholly.  Yet Allen will go to Florida and pick up the kids the Florida schools take a pass on, and feel like he's done something.  How's that working out IU???

Recruiting is at best an educated guess trying to project how athletes will perform and develop at the next level. There are plenty of examples over the years where players go to levels below their ultimately performance and those who go P5 end up not working out. It doesn't mean the schools were wrong for missing someone. That's one of the reasons the transfer portal is so active. Players trying to find their best level now that they have experienced college football. It doesn't mean IU was wrong on the time. They just made the wrong educated guess on how players would turn out.

49 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Can you expand on that?

The perception surrounding a white running back/skill position player gives recruiters pause.

A subject that makes other folks uncomfortable, but not me.

(Also, Carson’s speed is an issue and most modern offenses don’t want a bruiser but rather a guy who can make guys miss in space and put them in their rear view mirror.)

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

The perception surrounding a white running back/skill position player gives recruiters pause.

(Also, Carson’s speed is an issue and most modern offenses don’t want a bruiser but rather a guy who can make guys miss in space and put them in their rear view mirror.)

Just my opinion.

Speed?  Interesting comment....how many time have you seen Steele caught from behind during his CG days in the MIC or with Ball State in the MAC?  Definitely has had some decent TD runs.  Maybe he doesn't win a ton of 40's, but the young man has football speed for sure.

Bruiser?  If you mean he doesn't go down on the first or 2nd hit.....but he is a different back than let's say a Charlie Spegal.  I don't see Bruisers as backs that hurdle guys, and Steele has done that pretty darn frequently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Speed?  Interesting comment....how many time have you seen Steele caught from behind during his CG days in the MIC or with Ball State in the MAC?  Definitely has had some decent TD runs.  Maybe he doesn't win a ton of 40's, but the young man has football speed for sure.

Bruiser?  If you mean he doesn't go down on the first or 2nd hit.....but he is a different back than let's say a Charlie Spegal.  I don't see Bruisers as backs that hurdle guys, and Steele has done that pretty darn frequently.

1.  Speed.  Steele’s numbers don’t jump off the page and he threw the shot for CG in the spring.  That’s not a coincidence.  

Speed is speed.  “Football speed” is the single dumbest two word phrase I’ve ever heard and I have no clue why I consistently gets trotted out there.  Now, if you want to talk lateral quickness/agility, I’d be willing to listen.

2.  Bruiser.  Maybe it’s the wrong term and I’m becoming a victim of the very same language that I’m critical of above but I feel like there are most often two categories of running backs.

Maybe I’m short sighted on this particular topic but I feel that these two “categories” are most commonly used and Steele is much closer to the second than the first.

”A bruiser with agility?”

Edited by temptation

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

1.  Speed.  Steele’s numbers don’t jump off the page and he threw the shot for CG in the spring.  That’s not a coincidence.  

Speed is speed.  “Football speed” is the single dumbest two word phrase I’ve ever heard and I have no clue why I consistently gets trotted out there.  Now, if you want to talk lateral quickness/agility, I’d be willing to listen.

2.  Bruiser.  Maybe it’s the wrong term and I’m becoming a victim of the very same language that I’m critical of above but I feel like there are most often two categories of running backs.

Maybe I’m short sighted on this particular topic but I feel that these two “categories” are most commonly used and Steele is much closer to the second than the first.

”A bruiser with agility?”

you failed to answer my question about how many times you every witnessed this young man being caught from behind on his long TD runs in high school or college?

As far as what Coach Moore had him doing on the track team, you are speculating at the very best.  You truly have no idea.

single dumbest phrase....you might be surprised to know other people's perceptions of various phrases and posts.....😮

25 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

you failed to answer my question about how many times you every witnessed this young man being caught from behind on his long TD runs in high school or college?

As far as what Coach Moore had him doing on the track team, you are speculating at the very best.  You truly have no idea.

single dumbest phrase....you might be surprised to know other people's perceptions of various phrases and posts.....😮

Didn’t get to see him on a regular basis but the fact that you’ve now asked twice leads me to believe it doesn’t happen too often.

I mean 48 yards was his longest TD rush of the season but I’m not sure what that tells us.

As far as track is concerned, you are right.  I don’t know.  What I do know is that Moore is a super competitive coach and one of the few who takes his track and field as seriously as his football.

You can list up to 8 names for the tournament in the relay events (4 compete).  Steele was not among the 8 listed for CG in the 4x100 during his time there.  That leads me to believe Moore doesn’t think much of his “speed” either.

All speculation but pretty telling to me.

Edited by temptation

Anyone know what his 40 time was coming out? Most of the top backs coming out of HS run around 4.5. On the recruiting websites like 247 they always state whether a kid runs track and if they have measurable speed times. If he wasn't running in track events or didn't have any measurable times for recruiters, that could've hurt his stock, especially when you take into Temp's point about white skill players (which we all know is true; "sneaky quick", etc.) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Anyone know what his 40 time was coming out? Most of the top backs coming out of HS run around 4.5. On the recruiting websites like 247 they always state whether a kid runs track and if they have measurable speed times. If he wasn't running in track events or didn't have any measurable times for recruiters, that could've hurt his stock, especially when you take into Temp's point about white skill players (which we all know is true; "sneaky quick", etc.) 

Dude threw the shot put 50+ feet which is pretty damn amazing in an event where most elite throwers who play football are linemen, which speaks to his strength.

Asking the kid to also run 4.5 would be “unicorn-like.”

I am guessing closer to 4.7 with a 100 meter time in the mid to high 11s.

(And yes, “sneaky quick” is just one example.  Another is every white WR being compared to Julian Edelman and every white RB Christian McCaffrey.)

Edited by temptation

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Didn’t get to see him on a regular basis but the fact that you’ve now asked twice leads me to believe it doesn’t happen too often.

I mean 48 yards was his longest TD rush of the season but I’m not sure what that tells us.

As far as track is concerned, you are right.  I don’t know.  What I do know is that Moore is a super competitive coach and one of the few who takes his track and field as seriously as his football.

You can list up to 8 names for the tournament in the relay events (4 compete).  Steele was not among the 8 listed for CG in the 4x100 during his time there.  That leads me to believe Moore doesn’t think much of his “speed” either.

All speculation but pretty telling to me.

Track is basically Spring football.  The kids will practice and perform the event that helps them most in football.

10 hours ago, temptation said:

Just my opinion.

Nobody who watched Carson play regularly is surprised by his success.

I laughed when I heard IU told him he lacked breakaway speed.  How often does that come into play for IU vs. a guy who can break tackles?  IU's backs get an open hole about as often as Halley's Comet makes a pass.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Dude threw the shot put 50+ feet which is pretty damn amazing in an event where most elite throwers who play football are linemen, which speaks to his strength.

Asking the kid to also run 4.5 would be “unicorn-like.”

I am guessing closer to 4.7 with a 100 meter time in the mid to high 11s.

(And yes, “sneaky quick” is just one example.  Another is every white WR being compared to Julian Edelman and every white RB Christian McCaffrey.)

Russ Yeast didn't have breakaway speed and he's a safety in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, Grover said:

Track is basically Spring football.  The kids will practice and perform the event that helps them most in football.

Helps them most in football or help them work on their biggest weakness?

Doyle, Wheat, Hohlt, Schott,Coyle, Delp are/were all involved and successful on a state level  in fast twitch (sprints) and hurdle events.  

Even going back to studs like Stoner, Stapleton, and Luallen…same deal.

An RB throwing the shot put (even at a place like CG who is loaded with speed) tells me he’s not one of the fastest guys in the school.

12 minutes ago, Grover said:

Russ Yeast didn't have breakaway speed and he's a safety in the NFL.

I’m gonna call BS on that one.  Russ was a high 4.5 kid according to his combine stats and his sister earned a full ride track scholarship to The University of Louisville.

Just now, temptation said:

I’m gonna call BS on that one.  Russ was a high 4.5 kid according to his combine stats and his sister earned a full ride track scholarship to The University of Louisville.

You can call whatever you want.  I watched him run track.  Fast for sure but not breakaway speed.  Not close.