Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carson Steele Gets Some Airtime on ESPN with SVP

Bash Riprock

I always think of "football speed" as guys who have quick lateral movement (think of a jump cut), and usually those same guys can win a 5 to 10 yard dash against guys who have a better 40 time.  I'm ok with folks using that term because I know what they mean.  I have watched many many head to head 40s in my day and it's a clearly observable phenomena. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's wild that this guy was a 2 star recruit out of Center Grove with no (according to 247) D1 offers. Was that simply because of the obvious? I remember him being a beast at Center Grove and not much changed at Ball State. Even wilder is after this season he'll have a chance to punish Big Ten teams that didn't give him a chance on a weekly basis.

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

It's wild that this guy was a 2 star recruit out of Center Grove with no (according to 247) D1 offers. Was that simply because of the obvious? I remember him being a beast at Center Grove and not much changed at Ball State. Even wilder is after this season he'll have a chance to punish Big Ten teams that didn't give him a chance on a weekly basis.

247 2 Star recruit, 4 star transfer.  He did get offers from Ball State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois...all D1 programs. (see his 247 prospect data in the link below) But to your point, was not widely recruited and passed by both in-state IU and Purdue.  (brilliant)

https://247sports.com/player/carson-steele-46048570/

Now 247 refers to him as a stud.....

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

This was discussed ad nauseum in the past.  He's being punished for the "white running back stereotype".

Or should I say "WAS punished" as he has now proven he belongs.

• Like 1

Wonder how much his injury during his junior year scared away schools like IU and PU as well other regional P5 programs? Hindsight is always 20/20 but do recall IU having a stable room of RB's (at the time) while Steele was in the recruiting process. Sampson James was an underclassmen 4* RB and they had freshman Tim Baldwin who was previously committed to Michigan. Naturally both transferred out after that year. It's been RB by committee ever since typically with a one year transfer rental. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Wonder how much his injury during his junior year scared away schools like IU and PU as well other regional P5 programs? Hindsight is always 20/20 but do recall IU having a stable room of RB's (at the time) while Steele was in the recruiting process. Sampson James was an underclassmen 4* RB and they had freshman Tim Baldwin who was previously committed to Michigan. Naturally both transferred out after that year. It's been RB by committee ever since typically with a one year transfer rental. 

interesting insight....also, didn't Spegal go to IU the season prior as a PWO?  Maybe IU thought they had similar backs in terms of running style.  Steele's injury did come at a tough time for him in the recruiting process.

I am not sure why Purdue didn't bite. (injury concerns?) But hey, looks like it has worked out well in the long run for the War Horse.

• 2 weeks later...

nice analysis of Carson's strength and speed....

https://www.on3.com/college/ucla-bruins/news/bruce-feldman-carson-steele-blew-ucla-away-with-lower-body-strength-weight-room-transfer-ball-state/

“He’s not the biggest back in the running back room,” Feldman told Staples. “They have two other guys who are actually bigger. But he is super strong. A 450-pound bench guy. Squats almost 700 pounds. He’s explosive. Vertical jumps 35 inches, hits 21 on the GPS and there’s some great stories about him when he first transferred there. He was blowing people away in the weight room with what he could do and just how physically strong especially his lower body is.

“Chip Kelly loves this guy and I think he was like 95th on the freaks list last year. He’s in the top 25 now and he’s a good fit for what they want to do. They wanna be physical. He’s a hammer. Don’t let the beach look of his headshot fool you.”

Steele is coming off of a strong sophomore campaign that helped him to become a hot commodity in the transfer portal. He ranked as the No. 1 running back in On3’s Transfer Portal Rankings, and Feldman wrote that UCLA was “elated” to land him not only for his strength, but his speed as well.

“He made the Freaks List last year before having a monster season for Ball State, rushing for 1,556 yards,” Feldman wrote. “Not bad for a guy who only had one FBS scholarship offer. The Bruins were elated to get him in the transfer portal. …His wheels have been impressive too, clocking 20.96 MPH and vertical-jumping 35 inches.”

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Meanwhile IU and Purdue can’t run the ball effectively in week 1 home losses…lol.

Yeah, the announcers of the Purdue game commented all game long how athletic and mobile Card is, yet the Boilers tried running up the middle over and over on short yardage situations. I'm guessing IU would like to have Penix back as well. 

Back to Steele, I watched all of the UCLA offensie posessions. He definately looks like he belongs. Kid is still a beast. Congrats to him. Stories like his and Bradon Fiske (Michigan CIty) are positive reasons to support the transfer portal. I have not heard Fiske's name since he was an unheralded OL commit to Western Michigan years ago. He took advantage of the portal to get one year of playing DL for Florida State. He had 2 tackles against LSU and was int he DL rotation all game.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/12/27/carson-steele-mr-football-from-center-grove-declares-for-nfl-draft-2024/72042842007/

Carson Steele, the 2020 IndyStar Mr. Football from Center Grove who has been billed "the most interesting man in college football," believes he is ready for the NFL.

Steele posted on social media Wednesday that he's entering the 2024 NFL Draft after three years of college football, two at Ball State and one at UCLA.

Good luck.