Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

Time to turn the page to 2023. This article suggests that, despite what appear to be fine recruiting classes for 2023 & 2024, the Irish risk falling behind in future recruiting wars if they don’t change their practices relating to NIL and the transfer portal. Currently, ND uses NIL to help roster players, but they do not use NIL to recruit high school kids. Similarly, ND only recruits the transfer portal for sophomores to be and grad transfers.

https://slapthesign.com/2023/01/01/notre-dame-football-adapt-left-behind/

Notre Dame football: Adapt to NIL or be left behind

The Notre Dame football program is on a different playing field than the biggest programs in the country regarding NIL and the transfer portal. If the Irish want to be playoff contenders, they must adapt or be left behind.

The first issue the Notre Dame football staff faces is being outbid for high school recruits looking to secure early financial benefits. While the Irish are helping their current players with NIL income, they’re not using it to pursue high school recruits. Though Marcus Freeman is genuinely one of the best recruiters in the country, even he can’t compete with the promises and money being thrown around by the big-time NIL players. Name, image, and likeness is becoming a pay-for-play workaround for many big-time schools.

Notre Dame football has already lost multiple major recruits to the new NIL rules. For example, according to 247Sports recruiting insiders with Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Oregon, NIL was a significant factor in Peyton Bowen’s commitment to first Oregon and second Oklahoma. But, to be fair, can you blame a high school kid for wanting immediate financial security? (These are notes listed on premium message boards by various recruiting insiders. Check them out at 247Sports with a VIP subscription to see more.)

If the Notre Dame football program wanted to become a significant NIL player, there’s no question they could do so with ease

The problem becomes two-fold when you look at their academic standards for recruits and transfers. Many teams not consistently landing top recruits can secure them in the transfer portal. Thanks to their transfer academic standards and regulations, Notre Dame doesn’t have that luxury. Not only will they fall behind in initial high school recruiting, but it’ll be tough to make up for it in the transfer portal.

Not to mention, NIL will still be a factor in the portal as well. The fact is that Notre Dame will either have to adapt to the new landscape of college football or be left behind. Were Marcus Freeman a head coach ten years ago, Notre Dame may already be a perennial championship contender. While it’s not impossible to create a playoff contender with the new rules, it doesn’t help when you’re playing by a different set of rules than everyone else.

No doubt, should Notre Dame change their ways in these two areas, it’d be a powerhouse in college football. However, given how volatile the situation is, don’t expect changes from the university anytime soon.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

1-2 against Clemson, OSU, USC.

Wish they were getting OSU earlier in the schedule.  They’ll be breaking in a new QB.

I've got ND going, at minimum, 2-1 in those games. They'll be jacked up at home against both Ohio State and USC. An undefeated regular season isn't off the cards for this team. 

Notre Dame has and always will be an academic school with a high standard for their student athletes. In my opinion, they shouldn't sell out. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I've got ND going, at minimum, 2-1 in those games. They'll be jacked up at home against both Ohio State and USC. An undefeated regular season isn't off the cards for this team. 

Notre Dame has and always will be an academic school with a high standard for their student athletes. In my opinion, they shouldn't sell out. 

I agree!  Notre Dame grads do OK after they graduate.  The Notre Dame diploma helps 'em quite a bit along the way.  I guess if you want, or need, fast cast, Notre Dame isn't for you.

5 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I agree!  Notre Dame grads do OK after they graduate.  The Notre Dame diploma helps 'em quite a bit along the way.  I guess if you want, or need, fast cast, Notre Dame isn't for you.

Notre Dame is just different. If they offer a scholarship to just anyone, then they're no longer unique. I love how they recruit smart kids who find their way into the playoffs. It's also refreshing listening to their post game interviews. Well rounded young men. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Tommy Rees has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Bill O'Brien as Alabama OC. I know a lot of ND fans would like to see TR gone but I think he’s a great young offensive mind and will be a big loss. 

Wow.  Failing upward?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Yea and I can’t help but wonder if a part of him wouldn’t mind having a plethora of 5 star players at his disposal and a chance to beat BK and LSU 

I mean, I didn’t know getting outgained by Marshall and Stanford warranted a promotion.

15 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Timing is kind of crazy too. New qb Hartman meeting the media tomorrow for the first time. I’m guessing when Saban comes calling you have to see what he has to say. 

Media session with grad transfers got moved to next Friday Feb 10th