Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

12 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Sounds like Rees is all but a done deal and heading to alabama and now I’m hearing DC Al Golden may return to the NFL. Didn’t think they’d be losing both coordinators, especially in February but that’s the way it goes I guess 

I won't pretend to know more than football about Nick Saban but Rees' resume doesn't impress me.  If you can lay eggs against Marshall/Stanford and get promoted months later, anything is possible I guess.

Maybe ND's lack of success had more so to do with Freeman after all?  I said all along Tommy would be the fall guy were ND to not turn it around, which ended up being a moot point but never thought he'd get promoted.

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

I won't pretend to know more than football about Nick Saban but Rees' resume doesn't impress me.  If you can lay eggs against Marshall/Stanford and get promoted months later, anything is possible I guess.

Maybe ND's lack of success had more so to do with Freeman after all?  I said all along Tommy would be the fall guy were ND to not turn it around, which ended up being a moot point but never thought he'd get promoted.

Agree 100% about his skimpy resume. What Saban sees in him, I have absolutely no clue. And I’ll lay a fair share of blame on Freeman for those inexplicable losses. But I chalk it up to inexperience, rather than incompetence. How he fills the OC position if Rees leaves will be huge.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Agree 100% about his skimpy resume. What Saban sees in him, I have absolutely no clue. And I’ll lay a fair share of blame on Freeman for those inexplicable losses. But I chalk it up to inexperience, rather than incompetence. How he fills the OC position if Rees leaves will be huge.

Sometimes it is just about who you know as a coach. Previous OC's for Saban....O'Brien, Sarkisian, Kiffin, Daboll, and Locksley.......seems none of them last beyond a couple seasons. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, temptation said:

So the joke is on Nick Saban? I actually don't disagree with your writeup. I've been saying all along that Tommy Rees is replaceable. Is he a good coordinator? Sure. But in my opinion, he hasn't done anything at ND that any other good coordinator couldn't have done. 

The ultimate goal for Tommy Rees is a head coaching position. He's using Nick Saban to advance that opportunity. No more, no less. I'm sure his ultimate dream location is Notre Dame. 

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, the real question now is whether Sam Hartman follows Rees to Alabama.

That doesn't appear to the be the case.

I'd like to elaborate a little more on what makes Tommy Rees the highest paid coordinator in football. If anyone has an opinion on this, please share it. I think he's a good coordinator, but hardly the highest paid in the country. 

Saban's motive for hiring Rees: He's good, but does Saban really think he's the best out there?  Or does he think hiring Rees will go a long way in beating LSU? Does Brian Kelly make Nick Saban nervous? He probably should. In my opinion, Brian Kelly's resume at Notre Dame, is at minimum, just as impressive as Saban's is at Alabama. I think both coaches are on equal footing. I also think that Saban knows this. He's 0-1 against Kelly in SEC play, and that's with much better talent. Maybe hiring Rees gives Saban an inside track on beating Kelly. 

18 hours ago, temptation said:

Who is next up at ND?

Running damage control after NSD?

This is what I’m curious about as well as the timeline to fill this spot. The names I’ve heard don’t really move the needle for me but maybe I’m just out of touch with the names and what they’ve done in the different places they’ve been. In no particular order I’ve heard Joe Moorehead, Andy Ludwig, Greg Roman, Sean Lewis, Jason Candle, Clint Trickett, Ryan Grubb and current ND tight end coach Gerad Parker. Not sure if these guys are actually interested in ND but those are some or the names I’ve seen thrown out there. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

CJ Carr looking elsewhere…

Because a 30 year old coordinator who moved himself up the ranks left the program? I'm sure it's the relationship he built with Rees, but as a coordinator, he's hardly the end all be all. Still laughing at "highest paid coordinator in the country."

58 minutes ago, BTF said:

Because a 30 year old coordinator who moved himself up the ranks left the program? I'm sure it's the relationship he built with Rees, but as a coordinator, he's hardly the end all be all. Still laughing at "highest paid coordinator in the country."

Don’t shoot the messenger.

I haven’t really heard anything on CJ Carr regarding TR leaving. That worries me but I’m pretty sure Carr won’t go to Alabama. Carr seems to like Freeman, ND and making his own path. 

Hearing Byron Leftwhich name getting mentioned for OC. Not sure how serious this is but that’s what I read.

whoever comes in is going to have quite the stable for ND standards. Some really good running backs, some really good offensive linemen, and a really good quarterback. The receivers are a bit questionable but there are some young guys that can hopefully have an impact. It kinda makes me wonder why Rees wouldn’t have waited one more year since everything was in place for this years offense to be his best.

The "Holy Fathers" (including Swarbrick? Heard all sorts of rumors of whose sets the rules) love to claim that ND, as a program, has everything in place to be a national super power....the truth is they don't really want to be.

Unless the school will allow the coaching staff to recruit the same kids, the same way that Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc are doing.  ND will be the best of the Standfords and Northwesterns.  Kelly got tired of it and had a very successful first year in the SEC and dominated Purdue in the bowl.  My guess is Tommy Rees saw the same thing.  

Not impressed with Freeman, but to be honest...its not a job you can just walk into and be successful given all the things stated above.

Until the recruiting philosophy/requirements/etc change, ND will be what they have been for most of the last quarter century.  Unable (or rather unwilling) to compete with the big boys.  

I say all these things as a lifer ND fan.

6 minutes ago, US31 said:

The "Holy Fathers" (including Swarbrick? Heard all sorts of rumors of whose sets the rules) love to claim that ND, as a program, has everything in place to be a national super power....the truth is they don't really want to be.

Unless the school will allow the coaching staff to recruit the same kids, the same way that Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc are doing.  ND will be the best of the Standfords and Northwesterns.  Kelly got tired of it and had a very successful first year in the SEC and dominated Purdue in the bowl.  My guess is Tommy Rees saw the same thing.  

Not impressed with Freeman, but to be honest...its not a job you can just walk into and be successful given all the things stated above.

Until the recruiting philosophy/requirements/etc change, ND will be what they have been for most of the last quarter century.  Unable (or rather unwilling) to compete with the big boys.  

I say all these things as a lifer ND fan.

I'm actually good with a bunch of kids who can coherently answer a question in the post game interviews. And Freeman did ink twenty 4-star players. Smart kid + 4-star athlete = playoff opportunity/big payout game. I'm not sure Notre Dame is willing to lower their standard to win the whole thing. They still consider themselves an academic university. After all, it is college. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm actually good with a bunch of kids who can coherently answer a question in the post game interviews. And Freeman did ink twenty 4-star players. Smart kid + 4-star athlete = playoff opportunity/big payout game. I'm not sure Notre Dame is willing to lower their standard to win the whole thing. They still consider themselves an academic university. After all, it is college. 

Don’t assume I think it’s a bad thing at all….but I think it’s hypocritical to claim you are serving both goals.