Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Irish lacrosse headed to the Natty! Only Duke stands in the way now.

Was a bit worried when UVA went ahead late in the 4th, and thinking UVA had beaten them twice this season already. Nice job by the Irish to keep working. 

7 hours ago, Irishman said:

Was a bit worried when UVA went ahead late in the 4th, and thinking UVA had beaten them twice this season already. Nice job by the Irish to keep working. 

One of the great victories in program history. One more step to take to finish the job.

• Like 2

50 years ago as we ran laps in the dark in the bowels of the stadium, none of us even considered that such a thing might be possible. Yet, here it is. Only the second “Western” team to ever win the championship. Great job, guys.

IMG_1194.webp

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good. Now I don’t have to retire my Under Armour stuff.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-to-resign-with-under-armour

Notre Dame To Resign With Under Armour

According to Yahoo Sports, Notre Dame is set to resign with Under Armour

According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, Notre Dame is set to resign with Under Armour as its apparel provider. If what Dellenger turns out to be true, Notre Dame will once again have the richest apparel deal in college sports.

The deal is reported to be a 10-year contract worth over $10 million per year. Dellenger noted that if his intel is correct, it would vault Notre Dame to the top of the list in terms of apparel dollars. All the other deals mentioned by Dellenger - including Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, Louisville and Kansas were either Nike or Adidas schools.

Notre Dame previously signed with Under Armour back in 2014 on a 10-year, $90-million dollar deal that at the time was the biggest in college sports. Notre Dame hit the open market in recent months and reportedly received offers from Under Armour, Nike (and Jordan Brand), and Adidas.

Dellenger wrote in his feature something that Irish Breakdown had also been told this summer, which is the Under Armour offer was significantly higher than what Nike and Adidas offered to get the Irish to come over to their brands.

Here is what Dellenger wrote about how these apparel deals work:

"Apparel deals are revenue-generating giants for some of the most elite college athletic departments. In normal cases, apparel companies pay an annual licensing fee ranging from $5-10 million in cash for some of the powerhouses in college football and men’s basketball. In some deals, the school receives a cut of royalties from merchandise sales (usually 10-15%). Most agreements require the company to outfit that school’s athletic teams with $2-5 million in gear each year, as well as discounts in merchandise purchases." - Ross Dellenger

On 8/2/2023 at 11:01 AM, temptation said:

Hey, take what you can get...I'd never root for the scarlet and grey.

Not sure I agree with everything in the article, but it’s nice to see.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3477297/in-the-end-notre-dame-is-the-only-major-football-institution-with-any-integrity

In The End, Notre Dame Is The Only Major Football Institution With Any Integrity

Every single thing we love about College Football has been destroyed by the almighty dollar. The pageantry, the tradition, the regionality, the rivalries, the fact that conference championship was possible and everything for schools like Iowa, Washington State, Oregon State, Purdue, Texas Tech. One magical season for a mid-tier program could sustain a fan base for a generation. Those dream seasons are dead because Purdue might be able to put it all together to win a BigTen league in a year where they catch Michigan and Ohio State in a down year, but the idea that they could somehow finish ahead of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Oregon feels impossible. And yet it is still better to be Purdue than Cal, Oregon State, or Washington State today. 

All of these schools are racing to get the biggest cash grab possible by leaving 150+ years of tradition in the trash while also maintaining their non-profit tax exempt status. Joke. 

In the face of all of that there was one single school that said NO. We will not sell our soul, our mission, our identity, or our fans out for a few extra dollars. That hero who wanted to preserve college football and prevent it from becoming just a semi-amateur minor league NFL is Notre Dame. Every single one of these mega conferences has approached Notre Dame over the years. The BigTen now makes more sense than ever because ND's primary rival, USC,  is now somehow a midwestern school. Even with the promise of HUGE money, bigger money than they could get on their own, and the preservation of their national schedule, Notre Dame still said no. 

Notre Dame will remain independent. They will remain Notre Dame. They will play who they want and when they want. They will keep their integrity because they know an extra few million bucks a year doesn't really change anything for the positive. 

How much would Oregon fans pay per year to have a chance at a conference title and an annual game against Oregon State? Probably not worth it to the average fan an alumni. Worth millions to the administration who will line their own pockets with the extra cash though. I remember that phrase "too big to fail" from the 2008 financial crisis. I also think there is an idea that some things are so big that they have to fail. It's impossible to keep connection to what was special to begin with. Ultimately, I think we will see a decline in interest in college football. There's a reason why it's not as popular in the Northeast. The Northeast never had an real football tradition. No regional rivalries. No real conference. Now that is the case for most places. I think you'll see decline in interest of the schools that got left behind and then also the schools that will inevitably be left at the bottom of these leagues every year. It might take a generation for those predictions to come through, but college football won't have the same grip on America that it used to. 

People have been hating on Notre Dame for my entire life. They have probably been hating on them since Knute Rockne invented the forward pass. People can continue to hate them because that is what college football should be about, but they can't deny that ND recognizes that their program is more than just a money making machine. That their tradition can't simply be bought at this point. Somethings shouldn't change and bigger/more isn't always better. Notre Dame refuses to go with the flow and follow the money and everyone should respect them for that

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3477297/in-the-end-notre-dame-is-the-only-major-football-institution-with-any-integrity

In The End, Notre Dame Is The Only Major Football Institution With Any Integrity

Every single thing we love about College Football has been destroyed by the almighty dollar. The pageantry, the tradition, the regionality, the rivalries, the fact that conference championship was possible and everything for schools like Iowa, Washington State, Oregon State, Purdue, Texas Tech. One magical season for a mid-tier program could sustain a fan base for a generation. Those dream seasons are dead because Purdue might be able to put it all together to win a BigTen league in a year where they catch Michigan and Ohio State in a down year, but the idea that they could somehow finish ahead of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Oregon feels impossible. And yet it is still better to be Purdue than Cal, Oregon State, or Washington State today. 

All of these schools are racing to get the biggest cash grab possible by leaving 150+ years of tradition in the trash while also maintaining their non-profit tax exempt status. Joke. 

In the face of all of that there was one single school that said NO. We will not sell our soul, our mission, our identity, or our fans out for a few extra dollars. That hero who wanted to preserve college football and prevent it from becoming just a semi-amateur minor league NFL is Notre Dame. Every single one of these mega conferences has approached Notre Dame over the years. The BigTen now makes more sense than ever because ND's primary rival, USC,  is now somehow a midwestern school. Even with the promise of HUGE money, bigger money than they could get on their own, and the preservation of their national schedule, Notre Dame still said no. 

Notre Dame will remain independent. They will remain Notre Dame. They will play who they want and when they want. They will keep their integrity because they know an extra few million bucks a year doesn't really change anything for the positive. 

How much would Oregon fans pay per year to have a chance at a conference title and an annual game against Oregon State? Probably not worth it to the average fan an alumni. Worth millions to the administration who will line their own pockets with the extra cash though. I remember that phrase "too big to fail" from the 2008 financial crisis. I also think there is an idea that some things are so big that they have to fail. It's impossible to keep connection to what was special to begin with. Ultimately, I think we will see a decline in interest in college football. There's a reason why it's not as popular in the Northeast. The Northeast never had an real football tradition. No regional rivalries. No real conference. Now that is the case for most places. I think you'll see decline in interest of the schools that got left behind and then also the schools that will inevitably be left at the bottom of these leagues every year. It might take a generation for those predictions to come through, but college football won't have the same grip on America that it used to. 

People have been hating on Notre Dame for my entire life. They have probably been hating on them since Knute Rockne invented the forward pass. People can continue to hate them because that is what college football should be about, but they can't deny that ND recognizes that their program is more than just a money making machine. That their tradition can't simply be bought at this point. Somethings shouldn't change and bigger/more isn't always better. Notre Dame refuses to go with the flow and follow the money and everyone should respect them for that

is there an echo in here?....could have swore I read this in a different thread........😉

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

Cool..lemme know when respect earns trophies...I mean look at UGA's recent rap sheet.

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

Cool..lemme know when respect earns trophies...I mean look at UGA's recent rap sheet.

I guess everyone has to ask himself “at what price?” Or, maybe “what, if anything, is too high a price?”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I guess everyone has to ask himself “at what price?” Or, maybe “what, if anything, is too high a price?”

No, which is another reason why I'm not outraged about Harbaugh's "violations."

Maybe it even shows Michigan is willing to finally "play ball."

The SEC/Dabo are whining about NIL and all of the money surrounding college football because everyone can now legally do what they've been doing for decades under the table.

23 hours ago, temptation said:

No, which is another reason why I'm not outraged about Harbaugh's "violations."

Maybe it even shows Michigan is willing to finally "play ball."

The SEC/Dabo are whining about NIL and all of the money surrounding college football because everyone can now legally do what they've been doing for decades under the table.

You mean the SEC has been less that honorable?!?

51 minutes ago, Gipper said:

You mean the SEC has been less that honorable?!?

You almost have to admire the fact they don't hide from it. Look at Auburn who hired Bruce Pearl and Hugh Freeze. There was once a time when Pearl couldn't even land a D1 job due to his actions as a lead recruiter at Iowa and he violated rules as soon as he returned to the big time at Tennessee. Hugh Freeze...enough said.

Back to ND. 9-3 has to be the the bottom for this team right? If they go 8-4 against the schedule with the players they have something is fundamentally wrong or the injury bug hit hard. I want Coach Freeman to succed, he is probably the most likeable coach in my eyes since Lou Holtz.    I honestly think we will beat 1 or the 3 big teams on the schedule, if things go amazing there is a shot at winning all 3.  I really believe Louisville is a trap game as well as NC State.  The State game is before Ohio State and Louisville was a nightmare for Hartman last year, and you know Coach Brohm will have that hometeam jacked up to play the Irish. 

• Like 1