Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2023

Irishman

Following Bob's lead from the ND topic; time to turn the page. Not holding out much hope for this coming season. 2 teams in the division making the CFP does not help. A number of players have entered the transfer portal; guys who could have played key roles this coming season. IU keeping Allen is purely a financial one on their part. I worry what it costs them in the long run; not that things will get much worse than last season, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel. And whoever the AD is needs to be fired. 1. for agreeing to the ridiculous buyout for Allen. 2. for allowing the season opener to be against osu. 
prediction....2 wins, Indiana State and Akron, providing that no one gets injured playing an angry osu team, who has shown they now love to pour it on when it comes to playing IU. 

• Like 1

Not supposed to get political here so I'll just say that the whole LEO concept played in perfectly to those who run IU.  That's how we got stuck with Allen.  They knew who he was when they fired Wilson to keep him.  (He was heading back to Ole Miss.)  Allen's style & IU are a perfect fit.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Grover said:

Not supposed to get political here so I'll just say that the whole LEO concept played in perfectly to those who run IU.  That's how we got stuck with Allen.  They knew who he was when they fired Wilson to keep him.  (He was heading back to Ole Miss.)  Allen's style & IU are a perfect fit.

I don't think you want to overwhelm your locker room with TOO much love, that could backfire. "Love your teammates" has become cliche'. You better come up with something different if you want to win football games. Football players are suppose to have a killer instinct. How bout this...........respect your teammates, kick ass, and have fun while doing it. In a sportsmanship kind of way of course. And throw out the "all business" approach. Let your kids have swagger. They'll play loose, they'll play better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grover said:

The epitome of it wearing off was his pregame speech before the Purdue game. Man was that cringeworthy. Anything gimmicky just does not seem to work (row the boat comes to mind). Jusst the same, a coach who yells and screams all the time wears out too. It all just becomes noise. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Following Bob's lead from the ND topic; time to turn the page. Not holding out much hope for this coming season. 2 teams in the division making the CFP does not help. A number of players have entered the transfer portal; guys who could have played key roles this coming season. IU keeping Allen is purely a financial one on their part. I worry what it costs them in the long run; not that things will get much worse than last season, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel. And whoever the AD is needs to be fired. 1. for agreeing to the ridiculous buyout for Allen. 2. for allowing the season opener to be against osu. 
prediction....2 wins, Indiana State and Akron, providing that no one gets injured playing an angry osu team, who has shown they now love to pour it on when it comes to playing IU. 

IU didn't exactly handle Idaho (FCS) this season.  ISU and Akron will not be gimme's.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

IU didn't exactly handle Idaho (FCS) this season.  ISU and Akron will not be gimme's.  

If Saint Francis can beat ISU by 5 touchdowns, I'd hope that IU could too. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

If Saint Francis can beat ISU by 5 touchdowns, I'd hope that IU could too. 

you lost me...what year did that happen?  I know it wasn't this past season or the previous 4.  

St. Francis would not beat ISU, let alone by 5 TD's

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

you lost me...what year did that happen?  I know it wasn't this past season or the previous 4.  

St. Francis would not beat ISU, let alone by 5 TD's

Correct and correct. It wasn't within the last four years and the current St. Francis football team wouldn't beat them by 5 touchdowns. But they did win 42-10 back in 2005. 

7 hours ago, BTF said:

I don't think you want to overwhelm your locker room with TOO much love, that could backfire. "Love your teammates" has become cliche'. You better come up with something different if you want to win football games. Football players are suppose to have a killer instinct. How bout this...........respect your teammates, kick ass, and have fun while doing it. In a sportsmanship kind of way of course. And throw out the "all business" approach. Let your kids have swagger. They'll play loose, they'll play better. 

The PTB at IU don't care about winning.

20 hours ago, Irishman said:

The epitome of it wearing off was his pregame speech before the Purdue game. Man was that cringeworthy. Anything gimmicky just does not seem to work (row the boat comes to mind). Jusst the same, a coach who yells and screams all the time wears out too. It all just becomes noise. 

I recall that Chris Creighton used to use that boat rowing story at Wabash. Is Fleck the only Power 5 coach to carry on the boat theme to that level?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ragdoll said:

I recall that Chris Creighton used to use that boat rowing story at Wabash. Is Fleck the only Power 5 coach to carry on the boat theme to that level?

Creighton is doing one hell of a job at EMU and I expect him in the power 5 sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hoosiers softball team was an at large bid in the NCAA tournament; ended up losing twice to host Tennessee, but did knock off Louisville. 

The baseball team is in the driver's seat in the Lexington Regional; knocked off 1 seed and 12th ranked Kentucky 5-3 yesterday. Kentucky is playing West Virginia in an elimination game. IU plays the winner later this evening. If IU wins that game, they are Regional Champs. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

Hoosiers softball team was an at large bid in the NCAA tournament; ended up losing twice to host Tennessee, but did knock off Louisville. 

The baseball team is in the driver's seat in the Lexington Regional; knocked off 1 seed and 12th ranked Kentucky 5-3 yesterday. Kentucky is playing West Virginia in an elimination game. IU plays the winner later this evening. If IU wins that game, they are Regional Champs. 

Now its all evened up with UK after the Wildcats administered a spanking to the Hoosiers yesterday.  How did people feel about former CG standout Tyler Cerny's ejection that included the game he was playing and the next game?  I guess its a rule, but seems harsh.  Not sure it makes a difference in a 10 run blowout. Get it done today Hoosiers!!!

How about the other really good baseball program in the state?  Indiana State University hosting their first regional and winning it, going 3-0 in the series and taking down the Iowa Hawkeyes twice???  March On you Mighty Sycamores!!

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Now its all evened up with UK after the Wildcats administered a spanking to the Hoosiers yesterday.  How did people feel about former CG standout Tyler Cerny's ejection that included the game he was playing and the next game?  I guess its a rule, but seems harsh.  Not sure it makes a difference in a 10 run blowout. Get it done today Hoosiers!!!

The ejection was petty. he was two steps off the warning track. Had he done that at home plate, ok. Even then, understand the moment. It was not taunting the other team. It had zero impact on the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

The ejection was petty. he was two steps off the warning track. Had he done that at home plate, ok. Even then, understand the moment. It was not taunting the other team. It had zero impact on the game.

I agree.  He was in no way chirping or trying to show up the other team.  Simply celebrating with his teammates.  

I guess a rule is a rule...but not sure why he needed to be ejected for both the current game the infraction occurred and then the next contest.  Seems excessive.  He was not even allowed to go to the ballpark to cheer on his teammates.

NCAA at its finest...certainly a handle on priorities.....

• Like 2

This is a big blow to an up and coming program. Just texting some friends this is what the portal and NIL will do. Programs that are 2nd and 3rd tier programs will be minor league or developmental programs for players to improve their stock to get to top tier programs.