Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Damar Hamlin

Bobref

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Utterly ridiculous. Please don’t tell me people are going to use this tragedy to push their personal political agenda.

It’s what people do but is it still not worth a look?  Can you be too careful in not turning over every stone here?

Is it the blue check mark that triggered you? 

Don’t ignore the message because you don’t like the source.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Is it the blue check mark that triggered you

??????

As with most healthcare decisions, this is an exercise in line drawing. How many potential causes do you want to exclude, using your “process of elimination?” You can test for everything under the sun. Why stop at trying to find out if the COVID vaccine contributed? 

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

??????

As with most healthcare decisions, this is an exercise in line drawing. How many potential causes do you want to exclude, using your “process of elimination?” You can test for everything under the sun. Why stop at trying to find out if the COVID vaccine contributed? 

Never said it should stop there.  You are all over the place man.

22 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Have to get that lawsuit against the Bills, Bengals, and/or the NFL filed, because his playing days are over.

I’m sure he’ll be fine and I’m sure the union has a disability/workman’s comp type of payment for him for life 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Very positive news this morning. He was awake, and responded in writing to questions, indicating there’s certainly no severe brain damage. Next challenge is to wean him from the ventilator, and get him breathing on his own.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Have to get that lawsuit against the Bills, Bengals, and/or the NFL filed, because his playing days are over.

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere? Are you privy to inside information? Most players have themselves insured, he’ll still get paid, and better yet, it will be tax free. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

And the theory of the lawsuit would be …

That the team/NFL neglected to provider proper protection to Mr. Hamlin in the form of better coaching, equipment, rules, etc.  

He should be set for life financially.

And it looks like AI is coming for your job, Bobref:  https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/robot-lawyer-powered-by-ai-will-help-fight-speeding-ticket-as-it-takes-first-case-in-court/

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That the team/NFL neglected to provider proper protection to Mr. Hamlin in the form of better coaching, equipment, rules, etc.  

He should be set for life financially.

I don’t know what New York’s worker’s compensation laws are like. But if they are anything like most other states,’ including Indiana’s, he cannot sue his employer or fellow-employees. Rather, his exclusive remedy is whatever workers’ compensation benefits are provided by state law.

And I’ll bet the NFL has a pretty good waiver that every player signs. Wouldn’t be surprised if it were part of every contract, or even part of the CBA.

You’re thinking like a bad plaintiff’s lawyer, only focusing on the severity of the injury and the corresponding deep pockets for a large potential recovery. But you’ve got to prove negligence first.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I don’t know what New York’s worker’s compensation laws are like. But if they are anything like most other states,’ including Indiana’s, he cannot sue his employer or fellow-employees. Rather, his exclusive remedy is whatever workers’ compensation benefits are provided by state law.

And I’ll bet the NFL has a pretty good waiver that every player signs. Wouldn’t be surprised if it were part of every contract, or even part of the CBA.

You’re thinking like a bad plaintiff’s lawyer, only focusing on the severity of the injury and the corresponding deep pockets for a large potential recovery. But you’ve got to prove negligence first.

So the plaintiff is bad, or the lawyer is bad?

ShowMeTheMoney.jpg

On 1/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Certainly but they are low probability and probably nothing to do with vaccines like some low IQ individuals on Twitter might think.

I think this is almost certainly the one you hear about in baseball/lacrosse with being hit in the chest very hard at just the wrong time.  Baseball catchers and lacrosse goalies have huge chest pads just for this reason and yet it’s still a risk even with the protection. 

I was a fast pitch softball catcher back in the 1960's and I only wore a mask.  I had ball marks over most of my body at the end of a season, but I loved playing the position.   Looking back, I was real lucky that I didn't get seriously injured.  The only serious injury I had was congratulating a home run by a teammate.  I broke my hand in the melee.

I caught about 50-60 games a year for most of those years.

I'm so happy that Damar Hamlin is progressing.  It looked pretty bad for a day or two.  Medical science has really improved in the last 20 years or so.  The on field response was swift and the first responders knew exactly what to do!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I was a fast pitch softball catcher back in the 1960's and I only wore a mask.  I had ball marks over most of my body at the end of a season, but I loved playing the position.   Looking back, I was real lucky that I didn't get seriously injured.  The only serious injury I had was congratulating a home run by a teammate.  I broke my hand in the melee.

I'm so happy that Damar Hamlin is progressing.  It looked pretty bad for a day or two.  Medical science has really improved in the last 20 years or so.  The on field response was swift and the first responders knew exactly what to do!

I’ve met a bunch of the guys who used to play around Indy. You ever run across a pitcher by the name of Steve Bunn?

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Definitely lucky to come away with just a broken hand. 

what’s crazy to me is that I had no idea this was a possibility until my sophomore year of college.  I was playing Lacrosse at Wabash College and ya know…I wasn’t very good so I got pretty familiar with the trainers office and often helped them where I could.  If not for my curiosity and asking what this machine was (AED) I might have not learned about the risk of being hit in the chest at just the wrong time and place. 

like I mentioned earlier…there is so much good that is going to come out of this…aside from Damars foundation that has now raised 8 MILLION DOLLARS (awesome) the awareness of this risk is now immense and someone’s child’s life is going to be saved from this awareness no doubt 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

My dad managed the St. Joe K of C team back in the 70's. I am not sure at what point he started that, but he was when they won the ASA State title in Peru.....I forget the year though. Spent many night in the dirt at old Metro stadium. 

• Like 1