Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Damar Hamlin

Bobref

On 1/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

I’ve met a bunch of the guys who used to play around Indy. You ever run across a pitcher by the name of Steve Bunn?

No, I don't recognize the name, but he probably struck me out sometime, lots of 'em did.

Edited by PHJIrish

On 1/6/2023 at 4:22 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Definitely lucky to come away with just a broken hand. 

what’s crazy to me is that I had no idea this was a possibility until my sophomore year of college.  I was playing Lacrosse at Wabash College and ya know…I wasn’t very good so I got pretty familiar with the trainers office and often helped them where I could.  If not for my curiosity and asking what this machine was (AED) I might have not learned about the risk of being hit in the chest at just the wrong time and place. 

like I mentioned earlier…there is so much good that is going to come out of this…aside from Damars foundation that has now raised 8 MILLION DOLLARS (awesome) the awareness of this risk is now immense and someone’s child’s life is going to be saved from this awareness no doubt 

I forgot to mention that along with the mask, I did wear the best cup money could buy back then.  There's some things worth saving.

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

While rare this is not that uncommon in bat and ball sports.  

I was curious to find out just how common - or uncommon - commotio cordis is. Think about how many people play baseball, softball, hockey and lacrosse; how many people play football; how many people engage in contact sports. Out of all those people, the National Commotio Cordis Registry has documented approximately 220 sudden deaths from commotio cordis since the Registry was established in 1996. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24572-commotio-cordis.

It should be noted, commotio cordis is almost unheard of in football. It requires a sharp blow delivered to a very small area at precisely the right point in the heart’s rhythm. Even a violent blow to the chest, with a helmet or shoulder, is unlikely to cause it, since the impact is spread over a larger area.

Keep in mind, I don’t think anyone has definitively said this is a case of commotio cordis. All that is known for sure is that Hamlin suffered a sudden cardiac arrest after a tackle. It is still more likely that we find out he had an underlying heart defect or rhythm disturbance.

Purely Hypothetical question.  Let's say they find no underlying conditions that could have caused his cardiac arrest, and he makes a 100% recovery and is cleared for all activities.  If you are Damar, would you step back onto the field?  If you were an owner, GM, or coach, would you be just a little nervous with Damar on your team?

Fauci says asking questions about the relationship between the rise in cardiac arrests in young people and the covid vaccine is ridiculous...

Seems pretty confident too.

“Completely untrue” Covid vaccines played a role in Damar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest; “clearly” the result of the hit itself. Myocarditis post-mRNA shots is “relatively benign” and “very, very rare”.

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Purely Hypothetical question.  Let's say they find no underlying conditions that could have caused his cardiac arrest, and he makes a 100% recovery and is cleared for all activities.  If you are Damar, would you step back onto the field?  If you were an owner, GM, or coach, would you be just a little nervous with Damar on your team?

Great question....I have been thinking the same thing once Damar fully recovers.  I can't help from wondering what will be the opinion of his doctors...and how much that will weigh into both his decision and the decisions of GM's.

So happy he is pulling through and on the right track.  I so hate he has went through this life challenge....but the beauty from it has been absolutely incredible.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Titan32 said:

More than likely, I believe he will be told by doctors to not keep playing. Not sure what league protocol would be either. I also do not believe that one incident makes you more susceptible to it happening again compared to someone who has never had it happen. I will be curious to see how this plays out for him. I am just glad he is still here and on the road to recovery. 

I did see he had a provision in his contract that he would only be paid a percentage of his contract if he ended up on the IR. The Bills front office, with the agreement of the NFL and the NFLPA, are going to pay him his full salary through this. Very classy move on the part of the Bills owner and front office. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

I also do not believe that one incident makes you more susceptible to it happening again compared to someone who has never had it happen.

Agree completely … if the diagnosis of commotio cordis is established and his arrest and resuscitation did not cause heart damage. But since CC is pretty much a diagnosis of exclusion (“we can’t explain it any other way”), I think it’s also pretty unlikely any cardiologist is going to go out on a limb and clear him to return to play.

• Confused 1

On 1/9/2023 at 5:09 AM, Bobref said:

I was curious to find out just how common - or uncommon - commotio cordis is. Think about how many people play baseball, softball, hockey and lacrosse; how many people play football; how many people engage in contact sports. Out of all those people, the National Commotio Cordis Registry has documented approximately 220 sudden deaths from commotio cordis since the Registry was established in 1996. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24572-commotio-cordis.

It should be noted, commotio cordis is almost unheard of in football. It requires a sharp blow delivered to a very small area at precisely the right point in the heart’s rhythm. Even a violent blow to the chest, with a helmet or shoulder, is unlikely to cause it, since the impact is spread over a larger area.

Keep in mind, I don’t think anyone has definitively said this is a case of commotio cordis. All that is known for sure is that Hamlin suffered a sudden cardiac arrest after a tackle. It is still more likely that we find out he had an underlying heart defect or rhythm disturbance.

The jury is out.

Russ Yeast (former Center Grove great) was making his first start at safety for the LA Rams, and also experienced a chest injury the final game of the season.  Labeled a pulmonary contusion, he was hospitalized overnight for observation.  Looks like he is doing much better.

I don't remember many of these chest/pulmonary injuries much before......blunt force hits to the chest region

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-rookie-russ-yeast-stable-in-hospital-after-sustaining-pulmonary-contusion-in-loss-to-seahawks-012858158.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADLIj8Wl1jZDu3bWyJ8yhF5cht-C0bYotgu5A4mL-XTMrheq4qo7WIuRJXmfRJrnmZnySgFmbOzZO-ZYxVaueiQJxP66PCmfATaBVPbIEd1z3pT0pd6ccOuIvn7BpFpDu_zs0LBeQFe-QaRHS6qut1-opwZyM1EZaH3KHEyLO1m4

https://clutchpoints.com/rams-news-la-teammate-reacts-to-frightening-russ-yeast-scare-after-damar-hamlin-injury

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't remember many of these chest/pulmonary injuries much before......blunt force hits to the chest region

That’s because everyone was head hunting, before it was outlawed. The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s because everyone was head hunting, before it was outlawed. The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.

And tackling techniques have changed significantly; players use their chest more than their shoulders now. Throw in that athlets now are so much bigger, stronger, faster, and even more explosive than ever, it is bound to happen more frequently. 

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

What’s interesting in these 2 cases is that the defensive player absorbed the blow by the ball carrier in the chest region and was injured. To your point, the change in the way defense is played now may be opening up a larger target zone for the defensive player inadvertently. Interesting thought. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, given what America has now become. But some guy posted this on Facebook with the comment “Damar Hamlin is actually dead and the NFL is covering it up.” His theory is that “the vaccine killed him, and if you got vaccinated, it’ll eventually kill you, too.” I am not making this up. SMH

image.thumb.png.c15a625d1b872cdc59574f737fd9213b.png

Edited by Bobref

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, given what America has now become. But some guy posted this on Facebook with the comment “Damar Hamlin is actually dead and the NFL is covering it up.” His theory is that “the vaccine killed him, and if you got vaccinated, it’ll eventually kill you, too.” I am not making this up. SMH

image.thumb.png.c15a625d1b872cdc59574f737fd9213b.png

Hearing a lot of smoke on this front.

Hopefully he just comes out and does an interview soon.

57 minutes ago, temptation said:

I mean, it’d put out the fire, no?

Otherwise it will continue to grow legs.

Young people have died prior to the pandemic with “unexplained” heart failure yes?

Are more young people, specifically young vax’d people dying at a higher rate that their non-vax’d counterparts? Or are we just hearing more about these “unexplained” heart events just being reported at a higher rate because it fits a narrative?

Show me some smoke before dial 911. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Young people have died prior to the pandemic with “unexplained” heart failure yes?

Are more young people, specifically young vax’d people dying at a higher rate that their non-vax’d counterparts? Or are we just hearing more about these “unexplained” heart events just being reported at a higher rate because it fits a narrative?

Show me some smoke before dial 911. 

Don’t have the data.  I’m not even caught up the vax part of the story but if you want these folks to shut up, just post a photo or go live and the story goes away.

Pretty simple.