Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC expansion rumor?

Is this all sports or just football?  Seems all sports would make more sense.  Who is it?  Boonville, Jasper, VL, and GS?  Or Mt. Vernon in the mix?  Addition of 4 schools gives SIAC a 12 team conference.  Could go Big vs. Small like the PAC/Big 8 merger talk.  This just got interesting if true.  If this is true for all sports this makes for one heck of a football and wrestling conference! 

Jasper, Boonville, VL, Gibson Southern?

I thought Boonville didn't want in, so maybe Mount Vernon.

Or we find out nothing is happening and we just create threads for fun!

I heard Indianapolis Cathedral is joining the PAC.... Just what I heard

• Haha 2

Maybe Boonville wasn't if it was football only (just hypothesizing).  But if this is for all sports then this maybe becomes much more attactive than the Big8/PAC merger.  Takes care of all the sports in your building and creates a much more stable athletic program in general in my opinion.  If you go Big/Small then each division in football plays 5 games and you have 4 games left for other opponents.  For the City schools they can still play each other across the division line to determine the "city champ" which is important for the city schools.  This also give plenty of flexibility for those non-city schools to keep some of their old rivalries intact like Jasper/SR, Jasper/HH, Jasper/Memorial, GS/HH, etc.  I personally like this merger/expansion idea much better than the PAC/Big 8 merger.  Gets Jasper and Boonville those better teams on a weekly basis that they need for improved tournament success.  I am just intrigued by this rumor.......if only a rumor kept me entertained for a day or 2 anyway.

• Like 1

I don't see any of the city teams ever wanting to give up the city championship. Dividing the conference up would do that. But I never thought I would see the day that this conversation would even exist. So who knows. I guess anything could happen. 

3 hours ago, johnathanspencer said:

Maybe Boonville wasn't if it was football only (just hypothesizing).  But if this is for all sports then this maybe becomes much more attactive than the Big8/PAC merger.  Takes care of all the sports in your building and creates a much more stable athletic program in general in my opinion.  If you go Big/Small then each division in football plays 5 games and you have 4 games left for other opponents.  For the City schools they can still play each other across the division line to determine the "city champ" which is important for the city schools.  This also give plenty of flexibility for those non-city schools to keep some of their old rivalries intact like Jasper/SR, Jasper/HH, Jasper/Memorial, GS/HH, etc.  I personally like this merger/expansion idea much better than the PAC/Big 8 merger.  Gets Jasper and Boonville those better teams on a weekly basis that they need for improved tournament success.  I am just intrigued by this rumor.......if only a rumor kept me entertained for a day or 2 anyway.

Lincoln and Boonville were both quoted in PAC merger article about not wanting 4 non conference games.

It could be since Jasper let it known they were looking at the SIAC that Boonville and Vincennes saw the Big Eight rejecting the other merger and this was option B.

Just speculating but it only took one no vote for the Big Eight to reject the PAC proposal. 

No offense to our EIAC folks, but the whole ‘big school/small school’ division idea would be pretty dumb, IMO.

Castle, North, Reitz, Central, Harrison are all bigger than Jasper. So that puts Jasper as the smallest in that group. And Bosse, MD, and MEM both all shown they have no problems competing with city schools too.  

I would propose a geographic split East/West with US 41 as the dividing line. (Mostly)

East - Jasper, Boonville, Castle, Harrison, Memorial, Bosse

West- North, Central, Gibson, Reitz, Mater Dei, Mt Vernon (or Lincoln?)

The SIAC could add an 8th or 9 game to the schedule fairly easy. 

Woah 4 schools?

I was only hearing 10 schools total, so 2 additions....this would remove all out of conference scheduling and this would be a merger for all sports.

i also am reading here 1 PAC school is rumored.  Is it really anyone but GS.  The combination of geographic location, Enrollment, and success across all sports would imply it would be GS 

I’ve refrained from commenting on all the merger talk as of late (although I’ve kept up my reading on the board). I’ve heard too many differing opinions and rumors from different sources. Not sure what to believe. 

VL principal Steve Combs was quoted by The Courier saying joining the SIAC was “not in the best interest of the football program”, which is true in a lot of ways. Talent wise, Lincoln is better than they were 3 years ago, but would still be towards the bottom of the SIAC at this present time. VL of 10-15 yrs ago would be very competitive in the SIAC. I’m of the belief that Levi Salters (knowing the man he is and how he relates to players), will pull every ounce of football talent that Knox County has to offer and possibly/hopefully field some of those 00’s caliber teams. 

With that said, I still feel a merger with the PAC is the best choice. The number of quality football programs in the Pocket is an instant upgrade to the schedule, even for Jasper (who btw has yet to defeat a Salters led squad). I wouldn’t be overly upset though if VL joined the SIAC. They’re kind of in a unique position geographically.

Edited by SEAL_63

I have also heard this is almost a done deal but my thought is how do you schedule games from the football side. All the other sports this isn't much of a deal because all 4 of those schools play some of the city schools. Maybe Boonville people will be happy to play Castle again because ever sense Boonville dropped them Boonville people have wanted that game back. It seems that the SIAC will be going old school in adding these schools. Who on here can name all of the schools that were in the SIAC at the same time? ( I know the Terre Hautes were in it at one point but can't recall when) 

Former members[edit]

School Mascot Colors Location County Year joined Previous conference Year left Conference joined Current conference
Bicknell Bulldogs           Bicknell 42
Knox
1936 Knox County 1963 none (consolidated into
North Knox)
Blue Chip 
(North Knox)
Bloomington Panthers           Bloomington 53
Monroe
1936 Independents 1964 South Central Conference Indiana 
(Bloomington South)
Linton1 Miners           Linton 28
Greene
1936 Greene County 1951 Western Indiana SW Indiana
Southwest 7
New Albany Bulldogs           New Albany 22
Floyd
1936 Independents 1977 Hoosier Hills Hoosier Hills
Princeton Tigers               Princeton 26
Gibson
1936 Gibson County 1980 Big 8 Big 8
Sullivan2 Golden Arrows           Sullivan 77
Sullivan
1936 Sullivan County 1962 Western Indiana Western Indiana
Vincennes
Lincoln
Alices               Vincennes 42
Knox
1936 Independents 1980 Big 8 Big 8
Washington Hatchets           Washington 14
Daviess
1936 Independents 1980 Big 8 Big 8
Boonville Pioneers           Boonville 87
Warrick
1941 Pocket/
Warrick County
1980 Big 8 Big 8
Bedford Stonecutters           Bedford 47
Lawrence
1942   1973 Hoosier Hills Hoosier Hills 
(Bedford North Lawrence)
Huntingburg Happy Hunters           Huntingburg 19
Dubois
1942 Dubois County 1970 Pocket Pocket 
(Southridge)
Jasper Wildcats           Jasper 19
Dubois
1953 Dubois County 1980 Big 8 Big 8
Tell City Marksmen           Tell City 62
Perry
1953 Pocket 1980 Big 8 Pocket
Mount Vernon Wildcats           Mount Vernon 65
Posey
1959 Pocket 1980 Big 8 Big 8
Rex Mundi Monarchs           Evansville 82
Vanderburgh
1961 none 
(new school)
1972 none 
(school closed)
N/A
North Knox Warriors               Bicknell 42
Knox
1963 none 
(new school)
1968 Blue Chip Blue Chip
Southwest 7
Terre Haute North Patriots           Terre Haute 84
Vigo
1971 none 
(new school)
1982 Independents Conference Indiana
Terre Haute South Braves           Terre Haute 84
Vigo
1971 none 
(new school)
1982 Independents Conference Indiana

Former members[edit]

School Mascot Colors Location County Year joined Previous conference Year left Conference joined Current conference
Bicknell Bulldogs           Bicknell 42
Knox
1936 Knox County 1963 none (consolidated into
North Knox)
Blue Chip 
(North Knox)
Bloomington Panthers           Bloomington 53
Monroe
1936 Independents 1964 South Central Conference Indiana 
(Bloomington South)
Linton1 Miners           Linton 28
Greene