Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mason Resigns at Michigan City

24 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It was said by you in response to what I'm sure was a few bad apples complaining on Facebook. I would find it very hard to believe that the Michigan City fanbase was over the only coach to win a Sectional title in the consolidated school history. Pre-Consolidation Elston won a Sectional Title in '84. That's it. Michigan City's entire history of HS football resulted in ONE Sectional Title before Mason came. Mason took the Wolves to the Semi-State round twice. I find it very hard to believe he was pushed out by unhappy fans and players. 

Three times* (not to nitpick)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Will take a minimum of three more years before this could happen.  Even if they won 5A in 2023, that would take them to four points; resetting to zero in the 2024 season when the new cycle starts.  They'd have to pick up a mix of six points in the combined 2024/2025 seasons to get SF'd to 6A.

I have a feeling he's joking considering Buck is his son. 

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

I figured such, but just clearing up the SF stuff as it's been questioned on other threads given the anomaly implementation by IHSAA over the past year.

Piratefan

You dont know. You make things up all the time.

Nobody went to Shamen. No locker room issues and NO one transferred.

Read what the man said in the article. Family, family is pulling him away from city. As I have stated before been to every game for 20 years.

My youngest played for him was team captain and loves the man. Wish my other two boys could have played for him. Just a huge loss for City.

Wish Coach Mason nothing but the best and thank you coach !! A job well done !!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Fans in the region is there talent in the Griffith schools?  Under Radtke they had some teams but have not followed them for a few years.  Their basketball team had a few years of great success and just wonder what the potential is there?

I don't know what the talent level currently is; however, demographics have changed drastically since the Radtke glory days and many have stated as the demographics shifted the community began to lose interest in football. This chart is from the 2019-2020 school year. I would be willing to wager it was drastically different 15 years ago. This is really shocking news to me. GREAT for Griffith though. 

image.thumb.png.f988ea56e67f65ab832f425682b4d10b.png 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, Boilernation said:

I don't know what the talent level currently is; however, demographics have changed drastically since the Radtke glory days and many have stated as the demographics shifted the community began to lose interest in football. This chart is from the 2019-2020 school year. I would be willing to wager it was drastically different 15 years ago. This is really shocking news to me. GREAT for Griffith though. 

image.thumb.png.f988ea56e67f65ab832f425682b4d10b.png 

In 1994, there was a Hispanic/Latino presence on the team.  I specifically remember Tony Gonzalez playing D tackle.  I think the Andreisen(sp?) kid was a freshmen.  He went on to be a part of the State team in 1997.  I cannot speak to the numbers in the school at the time, but I am not sure Race/Ethnicity is a problem.  The free and reduced number is everywhere, so not sure that can be the problem either.  Maybe a combination of things.

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

In 1994, there was a Hispanic/Latino presence on the team.  I specifically remember Tony Gonzalez playing D tackle.  I think the Andreisen(sp?) kid was a freshmen.  He went on to be a part of the State team in 1997.  I cannot speak to the numbers in the school at the time, but I am not sure Race/Ethnicity is a problem.  The free and reduced number is everywhere, so not sure that can be the problem either.  Maybe a combination of things.

They lost their edge when Radke left for New Prairie. I'd say they're trying to get it back with this hire. 

On 1/10/2023 at 1:56 PM, Boilernation said:

That is right and don’t believe anything else your hear or read,  Coach Mason left Michigan City so he can hand the program over to Buck because Buck and coach Mason love each other to all ends of the earth and has told myself and the members of the media on several occasions that Buck is the greatest running back that he has ever coach and ever will coach.  Buck is going to be enshrined into the Michigan City football Hall of Fame on the first ballot in 2027 because they are making him wait 10 years after he graduates where he will joint the likes of Abe Gibron, Tom Nowatske, Tony Cline, Andy Gill, Donnie Thomas, Dave Parry, John Parry, Dick Tomey, Vic Overman, Ron Lemon and Warren Foster.  We are also going to establish a mom’s division of the Michigan City Hall of Fame and Alpha mom’s Nikki, Marquita, Rae Londa and Lisa will be the inaugural members and the don’t have to wait because all the mom’s have all been graduated from high school much longer than 10 years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goose Liver said:

How about the obvious guy in the building... does he throw his hat in the ring?

Is he hireable as a HC? Feels like the injustice he received at Morton will follow him the rest of his career. By hireable, I mean will AD's/Admin be willing to hire him as HC. I would love for Portage to give him a chance. 

Edited by Boilernation

On 1/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, scarab527 said:

They lost their edge when Radke left for New Prairie. I'd say they're trying to get it back with this hire. 

You think the talent level and community support is still there in Griffith? That fanbase traveled better than the Steelers or Packers back in the day. I have no doubt Mason can match the success Geffert (sp?) recently had before suddenly stepping down.  Curious to see if he can put the Panthers back into Regional/Semi-State/State title discussions.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

You think the talent level and community support is still there in Griffith? That fanbase traveled better than the Steelers or Packers back in the day. I have no doubt Mason can match the success Geffert (sp?) recently had before suddenly stepping down.  Curious to see if he can put the Panthers back into Regional/Semi-State/State title discussions.

Honestly I'm not sure on the community support as since Griffith left the NCC for the GSSC I haven't been able to see any of their games in person. Talent level I think is fair to say is down a bit judging from their results. I think it'll be an uphill climb getting them anywhere close to what they used to be. And being in the sectional with WL is a real killer. But Mason doesn't like to lose...

6 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Is he hireable as a HC? Feels like the injustice he received at Morton will follow him the rest of his career. By hireable, I mean will AD's/Admin be willing to hire him as HC. I would love for Portage to give him a chance. 

I think it will happen.

Buck has declined the Michigan City head football coaching position.  

AD Shaman tell me that after and extensive search and several school board brew ha ha's at the Administration building on Carrol Ave.  Michigan City will make an inside hire in August and will be here 2 years max.

• 3 weeks later...