Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Conference Expansion Talk…

27 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Seems more difficult to schedule Ohio schools...do you think that is coming into play?

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Absolutely no idea honestly.

I think Cathedral is surprising as a shoe-in when there seems to be just one other; maybe the move makes more sense if there were four other schools guaranteed to join.

It seems logical that Cathedral, CG, and Carmel all playing as independents could increase the difficulty in scheduling more than each would prefer to have to deal with.

I'm not sure if I made the comment on another thread or not.  I would not have been surprised to see a Carmel/CG/Avon/BB/FC/SP/DC/CN conference within the next few years.

Personally like BB and Avon in the HCC.  If they are peeled off HCC, I could see NC and/or Carmel being added.  Maybe just one, leaving a space for a future 3rd HSE school?

I have no insider info other than just conversation with other conference coaches that often don't know anymore than I do.

1 hour ago, PDB26 said:

It seems logical that Cathedral, CG, and Carmel all playing as independents could increase the difficulty in scheduling more than each would prefer to have to deal with.

Cathedral has already added some of the MIC teams that aren't playing CG anymore.  North Central will play Cathedral in week 5 next year.  I heard that beginning in 2025 Cathedral added Carmel and Ben Davis to their schedule also.  

Roncalli is playing Cathedral starting in 2023 also.

Adding those 4 games will mean they don't have to worry about playing the Cincinnati teams.

I had a roommate that met a smoking hot chick in BRipple back in the late 90s.  They dated for a while, but when it became apparent she was also off the charts crazy...he dumped her. 

Fast forward 6 months, we bump into her at Rock Lobster.  They hook up....

My roommate "She's got a new job, now."  "She really doesn't go to bars that much anymore."  "Guys, she's not really that Crazy".  Within two weeks they were back together again. 

(Narrator in Morgan Freeman voice:  "She was, in fact, still crazy.")

I have no idea why I would be sharing that anecdote on this particular thread.🤪

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, temptation said:

5/5, now what category?

I take back my guesses. Speaking with some pretty good sources that I consider solid, it does not sound good for a Carmel and CG return to the MIC. Many of those MIC schools are taking CG off their schedule. Breaking contracts even for this season…

10 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I take back my guesses. Speaking with some pretty good sources that I consider solid, it does not sound good for a Carmel and CG return to the MIC. Many of those MIC schools are taking CG off their schedule. Breaking contracts even for this season…

Interesting.

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

Hence the reason they were labeled as "longshots."  The MIC is interested in them more so than the other way around.

I would give Avon/BB to the MIC about a 5% chance and that would require some of these other additions to happen first.  What "could" have a better chance of happening is a if Carmel/CG/Cathedral end up trying to form a "new" conference.  

I hope that doesn't happen...Avon/BB are great HCC schools across many sports.

I do feel like we will eventually head towards a "Northside" metro super conference (aka HCC), and a "Southside" metro super conference (name TBD).  I don't think the geography will be perfect north/south, but something that more or less divides the big metro area schools into two approx 8-10 school conferences.

• Like 1

Some version of the MIC may still exist along with two.  But with the growth of some of the southside schools to match up with HCC size schools, I think you're gonna a see an HCC like conference pop up on the "south" side.

11 minutes ago, US31 said:

Some version of the MIC may still exist along with two.  But with the growth of some of the southside schools to match up with HCC size schools, I think you're gonna a see an HCC like conference pop up on the "south" side.

I see this as a potential. Who would make up that Southside conference? You would think that some of those MIC schools now would likely try and join either of those. The MIC will still live on, but it will never be the same. The MIC made a huge mistake by getting rid of Carmel and CG. And Carmel and CG made a huge mistake by automatically thinking they were set to join the HCC. Something has got to give soon.

17 minutes ago, US31 said:

You referring to Whiteland and CG I assume?  Anyone else?

7 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I see this as a potential. Who would make up that Southside conference? 

If/When an HCC south pops up...I think there will be some "shuffling" of the deck.  HCC would probably lose a few schools to that new conference.  Some of current/past MIC schools would be absorbed into both.  What remains of the MIC would remain to be seen.

The big "IF" would be if what @temptation says "could" happen...does in fact happen.  If CG and/or Carmel (and Cathedral) end up back in the MIC...then you can throw my predictions out the window.  

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

You referring to Whiteland and CG I assume?  Anyone else?

If you scroll up I posted my best guess as to who might make up a new "HCC" south (I purposely did NOT include any remaining MIC teams).  I did not include Whiteland because I don't think they are there "right now", but if we are thinking a few years down the road you could add them to that list.

...again, I have no real inside information.

Edited by US31

1 hour ago, US31 said:

Interesting. Perhaps something like Decatur, Franklin Central, Perry Meridian, Center Grove, Southport, and Whiteland?  

As someone completely outside Indy, what if some of those 6 joined with Warren, LN, LC, and Pike in a "new" MIC? Then North Central and Ben Davis were to join the HCC?

1 hour ago, US31 said:

If/When an HCC south pops up...I think there will be some "shuffling" of the deck.  HCC would probably lose a few schools to that new conference.  Some of current/past MIC schools would be absorbed into both.  What remains of the MIC would remain to be seen.

The big "IF" would be if what @temptation says "could" happen...does in fact happen.  If CG and/or Carmel (and Cathedral) end up back in the MIC...then you can throw my predictions out the window.  

If you scroll up I posted my best guess as to who might make up a new "HCC" south (I purposely did NOT include any remaining MIC teams).  I did not include Whiteland because I don't think they are there "right now", but if we are thinking a few years down the road you could add them to that list.

...again, I have no real inside information.

Gotcha.  I think Carmel is the elephant in the room and the team that most likely gets left out of conference expansion.  I don't know if I would go as far as saying that schools are "ducking them" but their dominance in the country club sports would give me pause as an administrator.  There literally is NO PATH to a conference championship in nearly a half dozen sports if you add Carmel to the mix.  Plus they don't seem to travel nearly as well as I had originally thought and as much as you'd expect from a school with an enrollment of 5400+.

Avon is the next most interesting one to me as they are bottom feeders (at least the bottom half of the HCC) in nearly every sport and a chance to the MIC or this "Super Conference" you suggest would do them a ton of good as long as Carmel is not a part.  I am not sure why the loyalty to Brownsburg as those corporations seem to be heading in opposite directions.  Brownsburg is at the height of its athletic prowess right now in multiple sports and appears to just be getting started.

I think any administrator/athletic director doing its due diligence has to take a look at the future.  That future, in terms of the south side is Whiteland.  In terms of the east side, its New Pal.  Westfield to the north and perhaps Plainfield to the west.  The Marion County schools (PM, DC, SP) add no real value in terms of revenue or competitiveness across the board in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Interesting. Perhaps something like Decatur, Franklin Central, Perry Meridian, Center Grove, Southport, and Whiteland?  

As someone completely outside Indy, what if some of those 6 joined with Warren, LN, LC, and Pike in a "new" MIC? Then North Central and Ben Davis were to join the HCC?

Center Grove would dominate that potential conference in 15+ sports.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, if you’re an AD assessing expansion of your conference - or contemplating a move to another or creation of a new one - what are the priorities, and in what order? Revenue? Competitive issues? Geography/travel? Historic rivalries?

Revenue/Competitive issues/Geography/travel? - 33.3% each

Historic rivalries - 0.1%

• Like 1